Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 1:55 pm

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/arch ... to-recover

The severe collapse of a fundamentally unsound financial system, uncontrollable federal and state debt (that's still rising), a rapidly devaluing currency, and millions of job losses with no sign of reversing anytime soon.

My question to you: Is this the end of the United States as we know it?

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 5:34 pm

certainly the end of Liberal Capitalism. The power be moving east. Next up for capitalism is capitalism with asiatic values - that is a capitalist economy ruled by a technocratic capitalist class. Look at China for the model of our the West's future - it may already be approaching in the figure of Berlusconi - ultra corrupt buffoonery and a War on Terror justified removal of democratic rights.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 6:05 pm

Cyanide wrote:
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/economic-black-hole-20-reasons-why-the-u-s-economy-is-dying-and-is-simply-not-going-to-recover

The severe collapse of a fundamentally unsound financial system, uncontrollable federal and state debt (that's still rising), a rapidly devaluing currency, and millions of job losses with no sign of reversing anytime soon.

My question to you: Is this the end of the United States as we know it?

Probably not. We survived the Civil War and we survived the Great Depression. I think we shall muddle through this current set of problems.

In every decade there are those who say -- ohhh. This is it, this is end of things as we know them.... -----

relax. Probably not.

ruveyn

ruveyn

iquanyin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jan 2010, 3:02 am

tho i'm american, i too saw this coming since, well, ever, or it feels like that. i mean, a system based on ever-increasing output from a finite resource? looks unsustainable from the get-go, to me. add to that the need to encourage people's worst traits and supress their better ones for the system to "work," and the need of a percentage of unemployed (unwillingly) for it to "work," and so on...

anyway, i'm moving within two months to another country.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 4:45 am

What I am waiting to see is Obama personally blamed for the death of every puppy.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 5:17 am

Could be.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

bigblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2010, 5:43 am

All ill add to this conversation is that I sold most of my stocks in american companies just before everything devalued in America. Made a modest profit. Then watched the stocks that I had been holding plummet in value. Some of them have rebounded over fifty percent but they remain a footnote in my portfolio because I don't trust the american dollar right now. Our Canadian dollar is much safer, so I have adjusted to a Canadian stock heavy portfolio, and I won't buy up much devalued American stocks for at least the next three or four years, when the American Dollar has leveled off at a stable value. It could still go either way, but with the GRAVITY of the current situation...

All we can do is watch and see what the Americans will do to themselves next. My money says that without some heavy legislation in the housing and financial sector, America will end up more like Russia (90% Dirt Poor and 10% Filthy stinking Rich)

One thing that I really respect about America in todays global climate, is the way that America is pouring out massive aid all over the world despite its own catastrophic trouble.

God Bless America

We are proud to exist in your shadow!

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 8:38 am

Crap, I feel like we're heading for an apocalypse just from reading these threads.

What to do...what to do.... :? :(

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 9:14 am

MissConstrue wrote:
Crap, I feel like we're heading for an apocalypse just from reading these threads.

What to do...what to do.... :? :(

Easy, purchase Y2K certified toasters, so at least there will be warm bread to eat. :P j/k

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 9:34 am

ruveyn wrote:
Probably not. We survived the Civil War and we survived the Great Depression. I think we shall muddle through this current set of problems.

In every decade there are those who say -- ohhh. This is it, this is end of things as we know them.... -----

relax. Probably not.

ruveyn

ruveyn

Sadly, this is going to be worse than the Great Depression. Because now we have gigantic trade deficits from lack of production, outsourcing and an over-valued dollar. Not to mention these trillions of dollars in bank bailouts, which will result in nothing but hyperinflation and extreme moral hazard. Almost nobody now has savings, just debt. If the hyperinflation gets bad enough, it'll wipe out the entire middle class.

In the 30s, the economy mostly recovered because of deflation, production, and savings (though it was greatly hindered by FDR's "New Deal"). We have none of that now. I guess that means the government will have to start another war, eh?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 9:50 am

To clarify.

There is "survival" and "SURVIVAL."

Without doubt, no matter what happens, the United States of America will still be here. However, we won't be anything like the nation we are now. England has many of the things that were in place when it was a world empire, but it is a hollow shell of what it once was. Rome/Italy is a hollow shell of what it was when the Roman Empire was at its height. Where those nations dictated world affairs, now the world dictates to them.

Americans will "survive" but our nation, our freedoms, our prosperity, will radically change, and not for the better.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 2:13 pm

Cyanide wrote:

In the 30s, the economy mostly recovered because of deflation, production, and savings (though it was greatly hindered by FDR's "New Deal"). We have none of that now. I guess that means the government will have to start another war, eh?

We are already into Obama's war in Afghanistan.

ruveyn

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 3:26 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

We are already into Obama's war in Afghanistan.

ruveyn

Don't forget Iraq. But to REALLY get production up, Obama'll have to start a war with Iran.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 4:27 pm

Maybe it is, maybe it is not.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 7:24 pm

World War II was essentially what got us out of the Great Depression, so perhaps we need another world war to get us out of our current economic crisis. :lol: