Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 5:27 pm

What's your opinion on them ? I think they're a genius idea, as I'm pretty positive they influence heavily the buyers' decisions (lately I've read something supporting this with figures). I have a love/hate relationship with them as I LOVE getting them and, at the end of the day, I have to admit that they're probably the main motivation in my gaming. At the same time, there are a lot of VG for Wii and PS3 that I'd like to play, but in the the end I almost always end up purchasing 360 games, and when I play something on Wii/PS3 I feel this sense of void, like something vital is missing and so I end up going back to the 360. The ideal situation would be a single console or cumulated achievements for the 3 current ones. I really wish I could enjoy the game itself more, but right now I'm to attracted to them...
And you ? Do you like them ? Do you play for them ? You couldn't care less ?

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 7:41 pm

I don't have Xbox, but I do have Steam achievements. Some of them are pretty cool. Something to aim for. A new approach to playing the level/map. Like playing an entire campaign with only pistols/setting fire to a witch/not using a health pack/certain number of team-mates revived,help/ etc

The first of the achievements I saw were in Portal - when the copy I got was um - fraudulent, but I went out to purchase the game anyway. Just gives many reasons to return to the game and play over, getting more hours out of it

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 11:33 pm

The PS3 has a similar system - I don't recall what they're called, but, like the 360 Achievements, they signify that you've done something at least a little bit special in a game.

Right now, I've got most of the Achievements for Halo 3: ODST, mostly because I wanted to play through without shooting an Engineer and get a set of ODST armor for my avatar. (Makes Band Hero look more interesting, anyway...) I've also got several from Worms, and just recently got the Broken Glass Achievement from 'Splosion Man, entitling my avatar to wear a 'Splosion Man T-shirt when not in armor.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 11:42 pm

I think acheivements motivate me to play games. They are addicting...almost as much as the game itself. It's a good way to show off your gaming abilities and they give you something to aim for.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 6:49 am

DeaconBlues wrote:
The PS3 has a similar system - I don't recall what they're called, but, like the 360 Achievements, they signify that you've done something at least a little bit special in a game.

Yeah, the trophies, but I find them different and definitely less appealing. I think a key factor is the presence of a cumulated numeric score on the 360, which gives a sense of unity, I mean, all the games you play add up in a single score that represents your gaming identity. I don't play online anymore but if you're an hardcore gamer a high score is definitely something you're happy to have. The PS3 trophies instead are just scattered per single game, with no numeric value, they don't build up anything. That's how I see it.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 7:29 am

I wish Steam could put in more achievements for its games. I'm not sure if they need developer permission or whatever, but it makes playing that game worthwhile

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 7:50 am

I've never found the idea interesting enough to bother finding out how to view Steam achievements; it certainly doesn't motivate me to buy or play games. I wouldn't find a global value purportedly representing your degree of pwnage any more interesting. :wink:

The year is still young.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 9:52 am

Viewing achievements in Steam is easy - although not every game has them. You can browse your library to see which has them and to view your current achievements completed. Although more details about them can be seen in-game

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 9:56 am

I didn't mean that to sound quite so snarky as it did. They're just not my thing. :( :)

The year is still young.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 10:07 am

I'm not preaching Steam vs Xbox achievements..... 8)

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 10:25 am

I like the 360 achievments, they give me goals to aim for that are fun to accomplish, though I have got a bit anoyed about some only being accesable via online play, they can be hard to get (Halo 3) and it is anoying to have people who just want to get them. I like this video from Rooster Teeth on the subject of Achievables.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdZC5LJswFE[/youtube]
(wait until the end)

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 4:26 am

I don't care about them. Every now and then I'll be playing a game and the little message pops up saying I've gotten an achievement, but that's about all I know about them.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 4:42 am

Check them out. They might be fun to do. I'm not sure on Steam vs X360 Achievements

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 3:52 pm

I play games for fun, I replay for achievements. They honestly add replay value to even the most boring games. IMO.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 6:04 pm

I wanna detox from them :(

My favourite genre is cartoony plattform, lately there are many good ones for the Wii, instead I find myself buying games for the 360 I would never buy for Wii or PS3.

I'll try :wink: