Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Silverweed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jan 2010, 1:00 am

Sorry to post about this again but I always have trouble knowing what and what not to do in these situations.

So this morning, I sent my tutor an email asking whether we were going to have a tutoring session tomorrow. He replied telling me to be on standby, because he needed to check to see whether he was busy, and he would get back to me later on today.

Well, it's nighttime now, and he hasn't gotten back to me, and I need to know really badly whether or not I'm going to see him tomorrow so I can plan out my day accordingly.

At 8:57pm, I gave him a ring on his cell phone and left a message on his answering machine.

Was that a reasonable thing for me to do? Or was it excessive and disruptive?

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 1:26 am

Totally reasonable!! !

I find it matters little how much you pester someone as long as you do it in a way that is polite. And it depends on the situation......I would be more hesitant if it was to do with finding out about a job, say.

I generally say to people "I am sorry that I have contacted you so often and I understand that you are very busy/finding an endangered species/have three heads/ are on the Olympic team :wink: , but I really need to know what is happening. Thank you for your time in advance."

Or some such thing.........

Take care, it is important to know what your day holds.

Mics

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 1:30 am

He said he'd get back to you and he didn't. He dropped the ball, and it's reasonable for you to try to establish contact at least once. You need to know if the meeting is on. You might assume by default that it is. Which assumption has the biggest reward or cost either way?

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong