If I'm not quite a Christian, can I still join a church?

Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Should I Go To Church?
Yes - Jesus Saves! 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Yes - If you find that it helps you 30%  30%  [ 13 ]
No - You would be lying about your beliefs 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
No - Religion is a poison 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Eh, it's up to you 43%  43%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 44

maleb
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Feb 2010, 7:32 am

Finding the right Church, one that you feel comfortable in and lets you grow spiritually, or if you are a seeker, just to sit back, listen and maybe have some questions answered is most important. I dislike Churches that put pressure on people and try to make me feel guilty, I do fine enough with that on my own :) Thats not the role or job of the Church, it's there to help people grow through understanding and love.

I've known of people who go to one type of Church, of one version of the Christian belief and are totally turned off, so just wad the whole thing up and toss it, which I think is very unfortunate. I've been through many sects of Christiananity - Catholism, Protestant, Southern Baptist, Non-denom, Episcopal, Latter day Saints and others. Also have studied (to some degree or another) the various other major religions such as Islam, Judiasm, Buddaism, even read up on the darker ones, out of curiosity.

It comes down to the Chrisian Faith and Church you feel most comfortable in. I found even within the same belief system, there are differences. Its like being an American, every citizen is, but we all have our different ideals on what that means, Political views, challenges and what it means to be one, However, we are all American and there is a specific means of obtaining that. In Christianity, it's faith in Jesus Christ and accepting his gift. Everything else is "fluff", what you feel is important as you make your journey. Even among the Aposotles there was differing opinions.
I don't think going to Church is necessary to be a Christian, but it helps answer questions, helps me grow even more in my beliefs and if I'm into it, Fellowship with others, which I'm not big on, so a Church that doesn't make me feel less Christian for not wanting to be social is important to me.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 1:39 pm

As long as you are regular with your tithes and offerings, most churches don't care who joins. After all, churches are businesses.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 3:30 pm

If there are any Catholic churches in
your area, DON"T JOIN!

Don't ask why.
You will have to go through
the RCIA before joining a Catholic parish.
RCIA: Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults

The Protestant Church
is a toned-down version
of the Catholic Church.

If you like your congregation small
and welcoming, go for it!

As for churches not caring who joins,
that is somewhat true.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 3:47 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
The Protestant Church
is a toned-down version
of the Catholic Church.

Well, there are major theological differences, so I am not sure if this is a matter of "toned down" so much as different theological directions.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 7:29 pm

@AG: We are talking past each other, and I don't see that as likely to change anytime soon. Also, it's a bit off topic for this thread.

There are a couple of things that I'd like to wrap up, though. The problem you're having with the 'God-breathed' phrase is based on an assumption that your expectations would be fulfilled. I would disagree with the assumption. The thessalonians verse seems to be frequently translated as separate from v20, and split into two sentences itself. It can be used outside of its original context, and that doesn't do any violence to its essential meaning.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 7:47 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
@AG: We are talking past each other, and I don't see that as likely to change anytime soon. Also, it's a bit off topic for this thread.

I don't see it as changing either.

In any case, I just made one comment like this "Christian has 'some messages that are potentially very anti-intellectual'", and you asked how people could think that, and I defended that past comment. I do think we've probably shifted goal posts, as I do think that some of your statements are more like "well.... it's gotta be read with the right context and things in mind", which still does not mean that messages aren't potentially very anti-intellectual, only that the messages, if read with some things in mind end up not being anti-intellectual. Really though, I do think that some of this is more of a matter of you trying to read your theology into the scriptures rather than looking at all possible meanings and interpretations, as well as you foolishly missing some points. For instance, you brought up James when all I was talking about was the need for believing what the scriptures say according to Christianity, and even then you ended up attacking my interpretation based upon your interpretation that exists within certain Protestant groups, but where other theologies due exist. So, really, I am not really sure I've done anything wrong, you've just gone hyper-apologetic. This doesn't mean that you aren't an intellectual or anything like that, only that you seem to put defense of a doctrine above truth.(at least, that's what I think because I do think that you are uncharitably misinterpreting my comments worse than you could reasonably accuse me of misinterpreting the scriptures)

Quote:
There are a couple of things that I'd like to wrap up, though. The problem you're having with the 'God-breathed' phrase is based on an assumption that your expectations would be fulfilled. I would disagree with the assumption.

You are misstating the assumption. The assumption is that "God-breathed" would suggest something special about a text. The text isn't as special though, and it lacks things that many people would consider important, such as a powerful philosophical perspective. The lack of something that intellectually essential does say a lot about a religion's perspective.

Quote:
The thessalonians verse seems to be frequently translated as separate from v20, and split into two sentences itself. It can be used outside of its original context, and that doesn't do any violence to its essential meaning.

The issue of the continuity between it and the earlier verses still stands, and the fact that removing context changes the meaning still also seems valid. Some translations keep 5:19-23 in the same sentence, which still suggests that context issue. In any case, the issue really is that "test everything" isn't a philosophical/epistemic statement but rather more of a statement in regards to a spiritual context.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 8:49 am

A number of people that I know are members of Churches.

Is it because they believe the dogma? Perhaps yes. Perhaps no.

They go along because they have found a bunch of nice people who genuinely care about each other.
If one person becomes sick they will rally around, giving food, mowing the person's lawn and collecting money for them.

Perhaps they want to associate with decent people and bring their children into a group with good moral values.

Or would you want your children to associate with materialistic bastards and sexual perverts?

Outside of church where are you going to find decent people these days?

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 7:14 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Tensu wrote:
I find myself frightened and to be honest a little disgusted by how moderen society has begun to define the word "church".

In what respect, Charlie?

I guess it could just be the local churches, but in my experience many churches are about indoctrination, which in my opinion (and this will probably freak people out) religion is the opposite of. I also see a lot of inaction. The church shouldn't sit in a building and sing, the church should get out into the world and make it a better place. I don't believe people should go to church to worship: worship is a private act. People should go to church to act. There also seems to be a common misconception that the church is a building of some kind, which confuses me.

But worst of all is the division. There should only be one church, and regardless of any differences it's members have in belief, opinion, or interpretation, they should all work together.