Anyone think 'Anne Frank' was autistic?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 2:56 am

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
Are you blaming people of different races and ethnic backgrounds for being ostracized? As well as NTs? If so, that's not very nice.

No I was not. Let me spell it out.

Group A = General population
Group B = Ethnic minorities
Group C = People with Asperger

What I said was that Group A feels a lot more sympathy towards Group B than it does towards Group C. So, clearly, I am blaming Group A, and NOT Group B. The only way it could be construed as blaming Group B is if I were to say that there were some kind of competition between Groups B and C for attention of Group A. But I didnt say it, did I. All I said was pointing out the inconsistency of Group A, thats all. So if anything, you can say I envy Group B, but I am not blaming Group B. The only people I am "blaming" is Group A, that is, majority of population.

You can't blame people for your problems unless they have really, truly, SERIOUSLY have caused you trouble and have hurt you.

And they did. I mean everyone avoids talking to me. How do they know not to talk to me and not to approach me before I ever said a single word? The way they know it is by my body language. And this is unfair. If they were to give me a chance by actually talking to me then who knows maybe things would be different. But no one ever gets me a chance.

Like there was a thread on Wrong Planet about liking or not liking hugs. Well my first reaction to that thread is that no one ever gives me hugs on the first place. As a matter of fact, no one ever says hi to me either nor has any small talk with me. My only communication is maybe bying food at the grocery store that is all. So clearly others are hurting me.

I do agree with you that Aspies aren't very accepted, but usually NTs who judge Aspies don't have enough knowledge to sympathize.

But why does it take KNOWLEDGE to sympathize. I mean isnt it obvious that if someone is being avoided day after day after day for a lifetime then they would hurt? I mean, an NT would be hurt just as much. So even if they dont know about Asperger, why cant they sympathize with the fact that said person is getting hurt and, consequently, inquire what is it that makes them "different" in order to help out?

That is where the original point about Anne Frank comes from. Clearly they can sympathize with Anne Frank as well as other minorities who are persecutted. So why doesnt it ever cross their mind that the aspie who is being avoided shares the same plight? And the aspie is also avoided FOR BEING DIFFERENT, nothing more. I mean, did that given strange person ever hit someone or robbed someone or cheated on someone? No. So what are they being mistreated for? For being different. And so, why not sympathize with that, just like they sympathize with other ppl who are being mstreated for being different?

It'd be like a person of another race blaming you and your Aspergers for your problems and things like that. Putting down other people because you feel alone and misunderstood is not the answer to your problems. It's just being downright hateful.

And like I said I was not putting them down. I was not even discussing minorities I was discussing GENERAL POPULATION. So I was saying "look at how GENERAL POPULATION treats minorities". This implies that GENERAL POPULATION has concept of "avoiding discrimination of differences". If so, why cant GENERAL POPULATION apply that concept to aspies?

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 3:10 am

Guppy wrote:
Are you comparing the horrifying persecution, in all aspects of life, of ethnic and cultural minorities over the centuries to you being somewhat ostracized for acting in a way deviating from standard society?

Maybe you deserve to be treated that way, then.

The "horryfying persecution" happened to the grand grand parents most of whom are no longer alive, while what I am facing is happening to me here and now on a daily basis. I am genetically Jewish myself (although I believe in Jesus) and my grandmother's second cousin died in the holocaust. But somehow it doesnt bother me nearly as much as the fact that I am being ostracized. I dont even know my grandmothers second cousin, but I DO know that no one ever says hello to me which has to do with my Asperger and NOT my Jewishness.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 3:27 am

I mean here is the point. When asked if Anne Frank was autistic, some people said that she is not; it is simply being in isolation causes personality changes. Yet, when the same question is asked about me no one EVER suggests that my personality is due to my being in isolation. As a matter of fact when I keep point out how before the age of 21 my behavior was not nearly as repulsive as it became afterwords, and then point to a specific thing that was done to me when I was 21, no one takes me seriously. They still think it is something I was born with. But now that Anne Frank is brought up and you guys are saying that her behavior is due to isolation and NOT autism, I am like "well, how do you know the same is not true in case of me"?

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 8:17 am

Roman wrote:
Are you blaming people of different races and ethnic backgrounds for being ostracized? As well as NTs? If so, that's not very nice.

No I was not. Let me spell it out.

Group A = General population
Group B = Ethnic minorities
Group C = People with Asperger

What I said was that Group A feels a lot more sympathy towards Group B than it does towards Group C. So, clearly, I am blaming Group A, and NOT Group B. The only way it could be construed as blaming Group B is if I were to say that there were some kind of competition between Groups B and C for attention of Group A. But I didnt say it, did I. All I said was pointing out the inconsistency of Group A, thats all. So if anything, you can say I envy Group B, but I am not blaming Group B. The only people I am "blaming" is Group A, that is, majority of population.

You can't blame people for your problems unless they have really, truly, SERIOUSLY have caused you trouble and have hurt you.

And they did. I mean everyone avoids talking to me. How do they know not to talk to me and not to approach me before I ever said a single word? The way they know it is by my body language. And this is unfair. If they were to give me a chance by actually talking to me then who knows maybe things would be different. But no one ever gets me a chance.

Like there was a thread on Wrong Planet about liking or not liking hugs. Well my first reaction to that thread is that no one ever gives me hugs on the first place. As a matter of fact, no one ever says hi to me either nor has any small talk with me. My only communication is maybe bying food at the grocery store that is all. So clearly others are hurting me.

I do agree with you that Aspies aren't very accepted, but usually NTs who judge Aspies don't have enough knowledge to sympathize.

But why does it take KNOWLEDGE to sympathize. I mean isnt it obvious that if someone is being avoided day after day after day for a lifetime then they would hurt? I mean, an NT would be hurt just as much. So even if they dont know about Asperger, why cant they sympathize with the fact that said person is getting hurt and, consequently, inquire what is it that makes them "different" in order to help out?

That is where the original point about Anne Frank comes from. Clearly they can sympathize with Anne Frank as well as other minorities who are persecutted. So why doesnt it ever cross their mind that the aspie who is being avoided shares the same plight? And the aspie is also avoided FOR BEING DIFFERENT, nothing more. I mean, did that given strange person ever hit someone or robbed someone or cheated on someone? No. So what are they being mistreated for? For being different. And so, why not sympathize with that, just like they sympathize with other ppl who are being mstreated for being different?

It'd be like a person of another race blaming you and your Aspergers for your problems and things like that. Putting down other people because you feel alone and misunderstood is not the answer to your problems. It's just being downright hateful.

And like I said I was not putting them down. I was not even discussing minorities I was discussing GENERAL POPULATION. So I was saying "look at how GENERAL POPULATION treats minorities". This implies that GENERAL POPULATION has concept of "avoiding discrimination of differences". If so, why cant GENERAL POPULATION apply that concept to aspies?

First of all, I'm very sorry you have been mistreated. Nobody, nobody, NOBODY deserve to be mistreated just for no reason. Second, I was just making sure you weren't putting others down. I never said you did. Third...

Hi Roman, would you like a hug? :hugs:

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

TrainofLove
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2012, 2:51 am

I don't think so, Anne Frankly I don't think I would care.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 3:34 am

TrainofLove wrote:
I don't think so, Anne Frankly I don't think I would care.

:lol:

TrainofLove
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2012, 8:49 am

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 9:38 am

TrainofLove wrote:

:lol: !

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 9:51 am

No.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 6:30 pm

I do not know much about Anne Frank, but your topic reminds me of an unrelated situation. I knew a girl on a Facebook group for people with Asperger's who had Asperger's and was greatly obsessed about Anne Frank; literally (and I really mean literally) every minute or so, she would talk to us about Anne Frank or World War II. She was probably the most textbook example of a person on the spectrum I have ever talked to.