Anyone think 'Anne Frank' was autistic?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

werewolf1994
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jan 2010, 12:49 am

So anyway, I've been reading this book for school, 'Anne Frank, the Diary of a Young Girl', it's written by a 13 year old jewish girl trying to hide from the nazis, and the girl, to me, seems to be autistic, thought I'd ask what everyone thought.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 12:52 am

I've read it, do not remember getting that impression at all.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 12:57 am

werewolf1994 wrote:
So anyway, I've been reading this book for school, 'Anne Frank, the Diary of a Young Girl', it's written by a 13 year old jewish girl trying to hide from the nazis, and the girl, to me, seems to be autistic, thought I'd ask what everyone thought.

Are you saying this because she is deep and likes to reflect?

By the way does it imply that you think NT-s are shallow? I tend to agree with this sometimes.

Nostromos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jan 2010, 1:19 am

i read that people like Paris Hilton are so popular because they're so shallow, not just because they're hot. That's scary.

werewolf1994
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jan 2010, 8:30 am

I just thought so because of her special interests, the fact that no one likes her when she's herself, and the fact that when she describes herself it seems like she had the same thought processes I do, then there's the fact that the 1 person she really seems to like in hiding, almost certainly has autistic symptoms (the second Peter). I'm just saying I think that if she took that AQ test she would get at least a 34

Omerik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2010, 11:54 am

As an Israeli Jew, I have this book in my house. I'll give it a read and come back to you with my response.

Meanwhile:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPmDhWBGOJ0[/youtube]

Anne, you can't hide, you know, we'll find you
It's a matter where pride flies out the window
I never got the weight off the ground
I just forgot what's up and what's down
How many get the way I feel now?
There's no regret, there's just the sense that
Nothing is coming my way
There's so much that happened today

The Gods of the city have called my name
It means more to them than it means to me, somehow
I left my body, I left my fate
But it is so hard to keep away, now
Nothing is final because it seems all the while
There wasn't anything for me, I always faked my smile
There's so many careless angels responsible for me
They give me disease, they give me a pain in my neck to feed off me
Saying pay us the cost and we'll be gone
Now they shut my eyes and I can't see, now

These are the times I was scared of
These are the fates I pushed out of my away
Now they come back here to haunt me
It's plain to see who the winner and loser will be

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 12:08 pm

werewolf1994 wrote:
I just thought so because of her special interests, the fact that no one likes her when she's herself, and the fact that when she describes herself it seems like she had the same thought processes I do, then there's the fact that the 1 person she really seems to like in hiding, almost certainly has autistic symptoms (the second Peter). I'm just saying I think that if she took that AQ test she would get at least a 34

I haven't read Anne Frank, so can you tell me who these characters are (the two Peter's and others)? Are they just fictitious characters, or are these real people, also hiding in the attic?

I guess I would be a bit surprised if they are fictitious because I thought that it is her diary, that is, what happens on day by day basis.

Omerik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2010, 1:44 pm

Roman wrote:
werewolf1994 wrote:

I haven't read Anne Frank, so can you tell me who these characters are (the two Peter's and others)? Are they just fictitious characters, or are these real people, also hiding in the attic?

I guess I would be a bit surprised if they are fictitious because I thought that it is her diary, that is, what happens on day by day basis.

Keep in mind that she was not in the "regular" NT world.
She lived in an attic hiding from Nazi monsters.
I know that she really liked movie stars, and had a collection of posters, etc. Perhaps that's the special interest you're talking about?
I think she has a lot of self reflection for a 13 year old girl, from the bit that I have read, but I need to read more.

Anyways, I was in her house, twice. Once as a kid with my parents and sisters, and the other time in December 2007 - I went with two friends, just to have fun, but we couldn't miss it.
Perhaps it's because I'm Jewish, but I think it's a must for every person. And yes, I'm also sensitive to other genocides, and I don't think that the holocaust gives us the right to do whatever we want. Still, it's amazing and horrible. I've read my grandmother's story (she was in Auschwitz), she didn't even tell my father about it, because she didn't want her trauma to affect him. Every human being has to know about stuff like the holocaust. I also hate it when teenagers come back from visiting the camps, and their conclusion is that they have to raise flags and sing the national anthem.

I'm about to read her diary, now, especially because it was mentioned as perhaps autistic, but anyways, I recommend anyone who doesn't know her story to learn about it, or about the holocaust.

People say what differentiates us from animals, is that we can judge right or wrong. The herd society can't judge anything. Judge for yourself. The tragic events of the holocaust are an example of what happens when you let society and leaders decide, and respect authority too much. I don't want to get into too much detail, but my grandmother went through a nightmare that never stopped. Even when Auschwitz was released by the allies, the memories and fears still haunted her. I'm sensitive because it's my family, perhaps, but I really think everyone should understand it. The same goes for the Armenian genocide, of course, and other people who suffered from the Nazis or other cruel regimes. It's not just us the Jews. I'm sure of that.

cowscows
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Aug 2012, 1:00 pm

I wonder that too and Margot maybe.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 4:36 am

No, I don't. I think Hitler is more autistic than Anne Frank. Keep in mind living an attic for several years will have severe emotional effects on you regardless.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 2:34 pm

No, but I knew someone who looked a lot like her, who I'm almost sure WAS autistic in hindsight.

Didn't you all just want to know that?... :-P

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 8:06 pm

I didn't get that impression reading the book but I think its hard to know much about anyone without meeting in person and even in person its hard for me to understand people anyways, let alone classify them in a spectrum disorder, other than my friend Adrian he told me he is ADHD and OcD and I believe him because he is repetitively hectic all the time.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 2:53 am

NeueZiel wrote:
No, I don't. I think Hitler is more autistic than Anne Frank. Keep in mind living an attic for several years will have severe emotional effects on you regardless.

By the same logic, if I am being constantly ostracized and no one ever talks to me, that would damage me too. So why do everyone assume its my Asperger, maybe I am that way because of the fact that I was allienated socially. Maybe if people didnt avoid me I would be a lot better.

One thing that pisses me off is that most NT-s seem to have a lot of sympathy towards Jews, blacks, and so forth, but NEVER to aspies. Somehow in case of Anne Frank she was a hero and a victim, but in case of someone like me I am a loser.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 2:32 pm

Roman wrote:
NeueZiel wrote:

By the same logic, if I am being constantly ostracized and no one ever talks to me, that would damage me too. So why do everyone assume its my Asperger, maybe I am that way because of the fact that I was allienated socially. Maybe if people didnt avoid me I would be a lot better.

One thing that pisses me off is that most NT-s seem to have a lot of sympathy towards Jews, blacks, and so forth, but NEVER to aspies. Somehow in case of Anne Frank she was a hero and a victim, but in case of someone like me I am a loser.

Are you blaming people of different races and ethnic backgrounds for being ostracized? As well as NTs? If so, that's not very nice.

You can't blame people for your problems unless they have really, truly, SERIOUSLY have caused you trouble and have hurt you.

I do agree with you that Aspies aren't very accepted, but usually NTs who judge Aspies don't have enough knowledge to sympathize. It'd be like a person of another race blaming you and your Aspergers for your problems and things like that. Putting down other people because you feel alone and misunderstood is not the answer to your problems. It's just being downright hateful.

I'm not saying your post was meant in the sense I described. If it was, well, I don't really know what else to say.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Guppy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Aug 2012, 3:03 pm

Roman wrote:
NeueZiel wrote:

Are you comparing the horrifying persecution, in all aspects of life, of ethnic and cultural minorities over the centuries to you being somewhat ostracized for acting in a way deviating from standard society?

Maybe you deserve to be treated that way, then.

N0tYetDeadFred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2012, 3:06 pm

I don't think that she was, but I think that she is someone that we can very much relate to. She was isolated, persecuted, loved someone but couldn't quite express it, etc.