Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 10:45 am

It's at least the opinion in the paper here:

http://www.ijpm.org/content/pdf/175/Turing.pdf

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 11:20 am

I have strongly suspected for a long time that Alan Turing was an aspie.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 5:40 pm

Maybe, and I speak here as someone who has studied the life of Alan M Turing in great detail. Alan Turing had two problems, firstly he was a genius and secondly he was a homosexual.

When someone's mind reaches the power of someone like Alan Turing things are operating in an entirely different way. Thanks to Dr Turing and the work done at Bletchley Park the Allies won the U-Boat war and the axis powers were defeated, and this was a series of problems that HAD to be solved at any cost. It's on record that Alan Turing spent three weeks staring at a piece of paper running through his head the thousands of possible permutations that an ENIGMA machine could generate, none of us could even dream of doing this.

As for Alan Turing's sexual orientation, this put the man under amazing pressure because of the attitudes of the time. WP members outside of the UK and those too young to remember should realise that at the time Alan Turing carried out his greatest work homosexuality was illegal in the UK and people found guilty of this offence could be put in prison or chemically castrated. It was being charged with homosexuality that probably led to his suicide.

The work done by Alan Turing has at last been recognised and there are a number of memorials to the man and his work. part of the Manchester outer ring road is named the Alan Turing Way and there is a statue and memorial (which I helped pay for) in Sackville Park between Manchester University and the Gay Village. Apart from Bletchley Park there is one further memorial, I grew up in the UK with Harold McMillan as Prime Minister, not Adolf Hitler. I therefore owe the man a great debt.

Vanilla_Slice

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 6:00 pm

I think he was probably on the spectrum. I also think he is one of the great unsung heroes of England, and was very badly treated, partly because of his sexual preference, but mainly because he was so much cleverer than everyone else that they resented him, and were looking for a stick to beat him with. Plenty of "norms" got away with discreet homosexual activity, they picked on him because his intellect made everyone else look small.

Mainichi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2010, 10:16 pm

I always thought he could have been an aspie.