Which subject is most difficult to understand?

Page 3 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

High school, college and beyond...hardest subject for you?
English/grammar 12%  12%  [ 23 ]
Mathematics/algebra 40%  40%  [ 76 ]
Foreign language 12%  12%  [ 22 ]
History/east-west civilizations/archaeology 5%  5%  [ 10 ]
Music/art/creative 9%  9%  [ 17 ]
Physics/physical science 11%  11%  [ 21 ]
Business/economics/money 9%  9%  [ 17 ]
Biology/life science 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 188

swansong
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2010, 1:11 am

Theres no such thing as a difficult subject. Only teachers who make it difficult.

Technikilor
Toucan
Toucan

19 Feb 2010, 1:41 am

Physics.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 5:40 am

swansong wrote:
Theres no such thing as a difficult subject. Only teachers who make it difficult.

Yeah, that’s one of the problems I’m having in my philosophy class. The professor knows the material; he just isn’t very good at communicating it!

Another problem is that epistemology is so technical (so much jargon involved) but most of the theories are utter crap. It’s like really bad pseudo-science.

Luckily, I just had my exam on epistemology—I did pretty well (I think). Now I can mentally flush that nonsense and move on to something (hopefully) more interesting and sensible.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 9:48 am

So many people hate mathematics, I would expect more people hate english since english is used in social communication.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:31 pm

^^^ I think it's because school english is not the same as social english. Many aspies have a pedantic tone, especially when writing--comes in handy for essays and term papers. :wink:

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 3:17 am

For me it was a toss-up in high school: Math or Political Science. I did well in geometry, but once I went past second-year algebra I was perpetually lost. Political Science was unintelligible because, at the school I attended, it was pretty much watered-down propaganda and bore almost no resemblance to what I'd read for years in the University library. I never could reconcile the two.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 3:18 am

PS English was one of my better subjects.

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 4:52 am

Music and Art.

I am amazed by people who can hear a note and tell that it is a C minor being played on a specific type of instrument or whatnot.

I love music and art, but I'd much rather study any other subject, and do far better at them, than I ever did in those two.

Funnily, I'm good at math, and have loved ever bit of my intense self study over the last couple years... but in school I was so bothered by the need to show work, even when I came up with the right answer, so I HATED it. Never had it explained that the point of algebra isn't the solution itself, it's the relationship between the parts of the equation that matters, not that x =6.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 6:05 am

Mine is math. I struggle with even simple math. My brain just isn't wired for it.

Second would be business. It was a real mistake of mine to take that class. I think there's just a basic NT orientation required. I should have done drama, at least that would have had practical value.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 5:16 am

History for me. I love the subject, but I've always had difficulties with remembering names and dates. Not to mention it's a subject I like to study on my own, but I always struggle when I'm required to learn something.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 5:32 pm

English and business/economic-type classes have always been hard for me. English mostly because, up until this year when I started college, the general idea was that you-will-write-this-way-and-no-other-way-because-it-is-improper-to-have-an-individual-style. Now, in my current English course you are encouraged to have some kind of style. Economics I just never understood. :shrug:

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 5:11 am

Moog wrote:
Mine is math. I struggle with even simple math. My brain just isn't wired for it.

Second would be business. It was a real mistake of mine to take that class. I think there's just a basic NT orientation required. I should have done drama, at least that would have had practical value.

Don't remind me of Drama, I HATED that class, it was horrible. My worst meories at school are from Drama.

Luckily the teacher didn't care what the students really did, he spent many lessons talking with me about zombie movies. Still, even that didn't make up for how terrible Drama is.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 8:21 am

aspiegirl2 wrote:
Although, I have heard that Einstein wasn't the best at math either. I thought that I was different for an aspie because I didn't excel in math.
You heard wrongly.
Einstein was brilliant at mathematics.

Mine is not listed here.
I would like to choose Physical Education, the others are easy.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 5:22 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
For similar reasons as to why Nathaniel Bowditch disliked history, I dislike economics. Economics. Is. Intellectual. Anarchy.

I am not so familiar with the attitudes or opinions of Nathaniel Bowditch. I also don't see the charge of "Intellectual anarchy". Most economists tend to fit in with the neoclassical school of economic thought, and given the lack of large-scale division, it is hard to attack economics as anarchy I would think.

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
However, if you wish to find more fiefdoms, then there are fields where math is only involved as an illustration, such as economics, ...

Well, ok, but philosophy and literature are worse than economics. I mean, I'll be honest, I don't think many social sciences are better than economics in terms of similarity of thought and clarity. If I had to select classes where clarity is nearly non-existent, then I would pick English/literature, but economics tends to be relatively good, especially at the more introductory levels as many people teach the same basic models.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 6:53 pm

Everything, except for art and music. :flower:

sbombard15
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Mar 2010, 4:26 pm

I cannot learn another language. The only reason I passed spanish 1 in high school is because my girlfriend sat next to me and she was very good in it.