I debate to have fun. 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
I debate to disagree with someone 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I just do. End of story. 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 6

fidelis
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 2:42 am

I recently heard one persons view on arguments, and it kind of reminded me of my own. Now I'm curios what others opinion's on debates are.

Mine is this: I debate because I like trying to out argue someone else. The more hopeless the situation is for me the better. It is a very loose game with very little rules. It's like chess, only more challenging. It's just fun. Plus, there is no way to actually lose. If you convince someone that you are right then you have just lost someone to debate with. If they quit on you, it's not because you won anything, it's because they were fed up with you.

What is yours.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 2:46 am

fidelis wrote:
I recently heard one persons view on arguments, and it kind of reminded me of my own. Now I'm curios what others opinion's on debates are.

Mine is this: I debate because I like trying to out argue someone else. The more hopeless the situation is for me the better. It is a very loose game with very little rules. It's like chess, only more challenging. It's just fun. Plus, there is no way to actually lose. If you convince someone that you are right then you have just lost someone to debate with. If they quit on you, it's not because you won anything, it's because they were fed up with you.

What is yours.

I never win any arguments around here and I really don't care. I know what I believe and why I believe it and if I detect any baloney I say so and why. But hardly anybody pays any attention and that's not my problem.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 2:52 am

Only when what i know as "truth" (which includes facts and whatever else i'm being taught =.= ) is being desecrated by lies and "untruth".

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 3:43 am

I say... I stopped debating a while ago. I simply offer my inputs and opinions now and then. I see no point to argument. I have my own ideas and interpretations, and I'm open to all ideas, regardless of whether I agree or not. I don't seek to impose my views to anyone as everyone's mind ticks differently, and we all interpret according to our situations and background.

I'm afraid I'm unable to select any option in the poll due to the lack of a 'I don't debate' option.

fidelis
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 3:46 am

I added a none of the above, but it never made it through. I don't know how to put it on there after it has already posted. Sorry about that.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

31 Jan 2010, 5:04 am

I enjoy the give and take and what it teaches me about their point of view. I'm young and my views are still evolving. I think of myself as pretty open minded. Something I've flip flopped on recently was gay marriage(which I have had varying opinions on throughout the years) which just came with seeing their viewpoint and sympathizing with what they go through on a human level. When it really came down to it, if two people really love each other I could not come up with a reason how that could be wrong. I was wrong.

fidelis
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 5:14 am

That was the fifth one I included, but also didn't go through; to learn. Is it limited to four?

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 6:59 am

fidelis wrote:
I added a none of the above, but it never made it through. I don't know how to put it on there after it has already posted. Sorry about that.

I see. ^^

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 10:22 am

I don't exactly come here to debate since it's not one of my strongest points as well as anything.

Mostly I give input or make a funny off someone who's incapable of wanting an opinion.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2010, 8:39 am

wish y'all had bothered to include a checkbox for "i don't debate"- am not sufficiently quick-witted nor articulate to engage in such. wish i had the gene for it.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 6:53 pm

E. All of the above.

Omerik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Feb 2010, 7:23 pm

Chose the second option. Not sure how correct it is.

I used to debate as a hobby, and practiced a lot of demagogy, I think.
However today it's just a tool of learning, to me. At some point I hated debating so much, because it always felt like a fight. And I always hated that atmosphere of fighting and competition anyway, even after I "won" I didn't feel so good about it.

So today I just like to show my views, than listen to other views, no bad feelings involved. Just the opposite - I prefer debating with people who have knowledge or high intellectual abilities. I want to learn from them, and think they can learn from me sometimes. I think we can all learn from each other.

It reminds that once people thought that I think I know everything, and perhaps they still do... Why? Because everytime I argued with confidence, I was right. So they hated it. And because I was always so confident, they waited for the time to "get back". But in fact, it was the opposite - I only argued with full confidence, almost anger, when I KNEW I was right. Otherwise I wouldn't have insisted on it. So I'm not the one who thinks he knows everything... Always when people corrected me and were right I said "you're right, thanks for pointing that out".

I hate how everything in this world is about competition.
We should debate in order to show others the right way, to let them show ourselves, or at least get some clues - sometimes we can even get to the solution together.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 8:18 pm

I typically debate to clarify the structure of my own beliefs, to clarify contrary view points and test, accordingly, where my own views are logically or intuitively stronger or lacking and where they're views happen to be logically or intuitively stronger or lacking. In that sense its more of a dialectic learning process.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin