Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2016, 10:37 am

I've given it more thought, and while I don't mix up movies with books when I get back to them, I can be so in the zone when I read or watch that I forget that I'm reading a book or watching a movie/series.

I know there have been times when I have finished a book I was really into, and as I turn the last page I have been surprised to find that oh yeah, i was reading, it was a book, because I was so into that world that I forgot myself.
I have also been so into a movie that I have been surprised when the names start scrolling over the screen at the end.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

kalmrain
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Apr 2016, 11:37 am

I have done that all my life! Even with a break in concentration whenever someone would call my name and I'd realize I wasn't sitting in front of the t.v. but had a book in my hand. I'd laugh and shake my head and a few sentences on start 'watching' my book again! I used to get in trouble because I wouldn't really hear anything going on. It was my escape from all the crazy I grew up with, so it made it really hard to stop doing that later on in life and be a little more aware when I read. :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 4:32 am

I prefer movies to reading. I can focus better on movies.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2016, 11:09 am

All of my thinking is like watching a movie, so I do get the same effect as the OP when I'm reading a book. That said though I prefer books that have film versions of them. I still prefer the books by a long way but if there's a film version then I can see the characters and places much better. My imagination isn't so good, but m memory is fine!

It's good to know that others feel like this too. :-)

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 11:19 am

I'm a big fan of books as they were perceived as safer than people. I think about rewinding them. I also have tried to rewind broadcast television programs.

People are much safer as I learned to somewhat navigate our world.

Control is one of the biggest illusions out there. It can also be addicting.

Me
Still too old to know it all 8)

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 3:39 pm

drlaugh wrote:
I think about rewinding them. I also have tried to rewind broadcast television programs.
I've looked for the back arrow when reading teletext news, and when I write with pen, I find myself trying to save and at other times thinking I should mark it and move it to another space in the text.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Looking
Raven
Raven

17 Apr 2016, 4:27 pm

rushfanatic wrote:
Hi, I will always prefer reading the book vs. seeing the movie...my imagination takes the book to the highest level, something a movie is unable to capture..

I agree with you totally. When I read a book I 'see' a film of it in my head and I can have everything exactly as I want it. Sometimes when I see 'the film of the book' I'm surprised or disappointed by the treatment it has received, like they may cut certain parts out or change them. Occasionally I'm surprised when the actors say the same words I remember but in a tone of voice that I didn't expect. This can change the content a bit and leave me wondering if I truly understood it in the first place or if my imagination has let me down.

Brittniejoy1983
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2016, 1:42 am

Looking wrote:
rushfanatic wrote:
Hi, I will always prefer reading the book vs. seeing the movie...my imagination takes the book to the highest level, something a movie is unable to capture..

I agree with you totally. When I read a book I 'see' a film of it in my head and I can have everything exactly as I want it. Sometimes when I see 'the film of the book' I'm surprised or disappointed by the treatment it has received, like they may cut certain parts out or change them. Occasionally I'm surprised when the actors say the same words I remember but in a tone of voice that I didn't expect. This can change the content a bit and leave me wondering if I truly understood it in the first place or if my imagination has let me down.

This RUINED Harry Potter movies for me (beyond the other inconsistencies). I see the charactersas they are in the movie, since I've seen them first (which is rare), but my brain manufactures scenes.that don't exist.

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2020, 7:53 am

I always prefer books and don't read fiction.I tend to lock on to character's and have to pay a lot of attention.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 3:12 pm

How many have (or are reading) read books by authors Vonnegut, Pynchon, Barth, and Coover?

Coover's recent book 'Going for a Beer' is on my to-read list.

Such authors are known for self-referential works i.e., metafiction, postmodern genres.

* How many feel that metafiction (self-referential), and postmodern genres might be of interest regarding High Functioning Autism (HFA)?

Such genres might pique the interest regarding HFA - as metafiction might be seen as a blend of such interests as factual content, and irony put to actual storylines.

LINK: Speaking of metafictional works, a book on my to-read list 'Journey of a JuBu' was quoted as a cross between 'Seinfeld', and 'The Celestine Prophecy.'

LINK: https://news.hamlethub.com/ridgefield/n ... ebut-novel