Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2006, 2:13 am

and you stop for a while and go do something else, and you can't wait to get back to watch more of that story/movie, and then you remember, oh yeah, it's a book.

rushfanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2006, 7:11 am

Hi, I will always prefer reading the book vs. seeing the movie...my imagination takes the book to the highest level, something a movie is unable to capture..

parts
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2006, 8:08 am

when I read fiction thats the way I am plus if I like it I'll read it again its like watching the movie all over

agent79
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Mar 2006, 1:27 pm

to take that idea further---have you ever read a book so many times that when they make a movie of it you are completely unimpressed? (sphere was such a let down...as are most stephen king movies.) none of my friends or family get the movie in my head thing. :nerdy:

parts
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2006, 5:34 pm

agent79 wrote:
to take that idea further---have you ever read a book so many times that when they make a movie of it you are completely unimpressed? (sphere was such a let down...as are most stephen king movies.) none of my friends or family get the movie in my head thing. :nerdy:

Thats exactly whythe should never make Steven King's Dark Tower in movie form.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2006, 6:10 pm

I love reading books because it stimulates your imagination but it takes me so long as I seem to have trouble reading quickly enough. Its not that I can't read or don't understand words or anything but after a few pages it takes a while for me to register what I've read for some reason. Yet if I read something I am learning I can register it quicker. Like when I was at university I could read sections of a textbook quicker than I could read something fictional, not just because of the delayed registering, but because I imagine what characters sound like when they talk and this can be distracting.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2006, 8:24 pm

Fiz wrote:
I love reading books because it stimulates your imagination but it takes me so long as I seem to have trouble reading quickly enough. Its not that I can't read or don't understand words or anything but after a few pages it takes a while for me to register what I've read for some reason. Yet if I read something I am learning I can register it quicker. Like when I was at university I could read sections of a textbook quicker than I could read something fictional, not just because of the delayed registering, but because I imagine what characters sound like when they talk and this can be distracting.

I thought reading minds wasn't possible?! :P I frequently have to stop to put what i've just read in order, and I have o think really hard about how it links with what I've read previously.

Though in reply to the first post - I don't do it all the time, but often. That may sound contradictory, but I guess it's as if I pause the film to go over what I've just seen. Or something.

WooYayHooplah
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2006, 11:36 am

Yeah - but I stopped taking those kinda tablets.

agent79
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2006, 2:55 pm

parts wrote:
agent79 wrote:

Thats exactly whythe should never make Steven King's Dark Tower in movie form.

I totally agree!

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Dec 2015, 3:34 pm

Yes I've done that and even further, I've mistaken the book for a reality that I can't wait to get back to, as if it's not going to wait while I do the dishes.

Torstin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Dec 2015, 5:51 pm

Yes. It is like an addiction to me. And, I will become emotionally attached to the characters as well. I will go days laying in my bed just reading a series. It takes me a bit to get my mind into their world when I first start, but I live the story in my head and I think that is why I love it. Like others have said, it is another reality. To be honest, I don't recall being as excited as I get about a good book for video games and I love video games.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 6:38 pm

Fiz wrote:
I love reading books because it stimulates your imagination but it takes me so long as I seem to have trouble reading quickly enough. Yet if I read something I am learning I can register it quicker, but because I imagine what characters sound like when they talk and this can be distracting.

Entranced, in the Donovan series by Nora Roberts. Generous in text and mystically fascinating too. A man who uses visions to help in a crime investigation. A female cop who envies the medium, and enjoys a career by standard good cop bad cop, policing.
At least there are lots of interesting twists and turns and will naturally keep me entranced until the end. Second book in the last three days. I also like to project emotion, reality and the environment through absorbing the characters vital role and description.

Brittniejoy1983
Toucan
Toucan

15 Apr 2016, 6:57 pm

I've found my mothership, so to speak. I have always read like this, and people look at me like I'm certifiably nuts when I explain it.
Empathy: I've read the Donovan series and YES, I wish she would expand on the entire world. So much potential there.

Torstin: ME TOO!! !! ! I read for days on end, and do little, if anything, else. It is horrible!

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 7:50 pm

No, I do remember that it's a book and not a movie.

agent79 wrote:
Yes, plenty of times, and usually I haven't even read the book more than once or twice. I find that movies are seldom as good as the books (although there are a few exceptions), and should be seen as movies with a similar idea instead to avoid disappointment.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 8:49 pm

I tend to forget everything non-essential surrounding a message I found interesting: its medium, the language I read or heard it in, whether it was a human---let alone male or female---or robotic voice, its context (often I focus on something secondary and completely fail to retain the main point) and so on. I'm not always aware of having forgotten these details and can think I remember them quite vividly, only to go back to the source and find out they were wrong.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2016, 12:16 am

Torstin wrote:
Yes. It is like an addiction to me. And, I will become emotionally attached to the characters as well. I will go days laying in my bed just reading a series. It takes me a bit to get my mind into their world when I first start, but I live the story in my head and I think that is why I love it. Like others have said, it is another reality. To be honest, I don't recall being as excited as I get about a good book for video games and I love video games.

For me too. I always get very attached to the characters of stories I like, they're like my friends. I love getting hooked on series, because I don't have to stop after just one book. I always feel a sense of loss and emptiness when I finish a book though, because I'm not done with the story, I want more and wish it could just keep going. The last time I finished a series, I closed the last book and went straight back to start the first one over again the very next day, because being separated from the characters was too difficult.

My visual internal world is extremely vivid; I see scenes and dialogue in my head as if they were films, and I can create my own "head stories" as well, with equal clarity. It's like having HD TV in my mind :)

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!