Do you ever notice how old people...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 1:35 pm

Like to tell you the exact same story over and over again for hours on end? I was talking with my great grand mother who's in her 80's and when she starts talking she really doesn't want to stop for anything... She told me how her cat died then I said something about it and she told me how her cat died again exact word for word. Sometimes she'll have like 3 stories and tell them over and over and over not always the same one twice in a row but this can go on for atleast an hour and there isn't any polite way to get out of the loop of stories she tells... It's driving me crazy atleast tell me a different story I can listen a long time but not to the same thing over and over :x

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 4:49 pm

KingofKaboom wrote:
Like to tell you the exact same story over and over again for hours on end? I was talking with my great grand mother who's in her 80's and when she starts talking she really doesn't want to stop for anything... She told me how her cat died then I said something about it and she told me how her cat died again exact word for word. Sometimes she'll have like 3 stories and tell them over and over and over not always the same one twice in a row but this can go on for atleast an hour and there isn't any polite way to get out of the loop of stories she tells... It's driving me crazy atleast tell me a different story I can listen a long time but not to the same thing over and over :x

Does she have short term memory problems? Cause that might be why she tells the same thing over and over again.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 4:57 pm

jc6chan wrote:
KingofKaboom wrote:

Does she have short term memory problems? Cause that might be why she tells the same thing over and over again.
No nothing like that, she just doesn't want to stop talking. I'm sure she realizes what she's doing she'd just really rather keep talking and can't think of anything new..

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 5:45 pm

If she does not have short term memory loss then she is probably doing it because she is lonely. If she stops talking people leave.
What a great opportunity for you.
You can direct the conversation. Actually get a tape or video going. Ask her things like what games did you play, how she met your great-grandfather, or better, ask her what she remembers about her grandparent (your great, great, great grandparents i believe), parents, siblings. You can learn all kinds of interesting things about your family. Record the stories. When she is gone they are gone. This kind of information you can only get from her. Then you can pass it on to the next generation

Look for three or more options.
"I'm not too crazy about reality, but it's the only place to get a decent meal.

Last edited by sufi on 02 Feb 2010, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 5:50 pm

But what if I've been there for an hour and would like to not talk does that work too? Probably not my wants and needs mean very little after an hour of 3, 5 minute long stories and her loneliness.. Ya know I'm lonely a lot but I don't do that, this may be have been better in the rants and raves forum... I don't mind talking to her but everytime I do it takes atleast an hour for a simple question that never gets answered so now I just avoid starting them b/c I know there isn't anyway to get out once it starts and I need to plan to be there awhile...

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 6:44 pm

LOL, I notice this with a lot of old people.

You're story sounds exactly how my granny was. She'd constantly tell me how she could've been a fashion designer and how her career went into photo touching instead or the events in her life like her step dad that took away a letter that was written to her by her real dad.

She would go on and on about these stories over and over like broken record. Not sure what causes this but I know she wasn't demented or had alzheimers. She was pretty sharp as a tack but she had this habit of repeating herself.

Now my dad's now doing it.... :?

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2010, 1:47 pm

My neighbor does this, but I don't mind at all since it's a constant stream of compliments. :) She is without a doubt one of the nicest people on the planet.