Any heavy metal fans here?? If so, what are your fave bands?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Michaela7x
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Feb 2010, 10:13 pm

Mine are Avenged Sevenfold, Pantera and Metallica. I like many more though :)

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 11:47 pm

I like Motorhead.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2010, 12:19 am

My taste in music is... how to say.. all over the place. I have a hard time with genres though, meaning I never know what musician or band falls into what category. It all confuses me. I am not sure if the bands I would list would be considered metal, so I will stick to commenting on what has been mentioned...

I do like Pantera... ever listen to Down? They have Phil Anselmo on vocals as well as a few other fellows from different bands. They have a song I was obsessed with for awhile, Bury Me in Smoke... great song... I like old Metallica, I think their best song ever was their cover of The Small Hours.

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2010, 8:29 am

I love Metallica. I'm a hugh Iron Maiden Fan - took me a while to get into them, Bruce Dickinson's voice is something akin to getting hit over the head with a blunt object, but I have grown to love it. I also love Maiden lyrics. I am in general more of a rock chick though.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2010, 9:53 am

Up the Irons! :)

The year is still young.

RaizTheCraZe
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Feb 2010, 10:35 pm

Ensiferum (top favorite)
Celldweller (top favorite as well, best artist out there)
Helloween
Manowar (second favorite)
Criss Angel
Northern Kings
A7X
Dragonforce

Nothing like the rush you get with the chorus of Ensiferum's From Afar or Celldweller's newest song Eon.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 11:44 am

Pantera (and member-related bands), Lamb Of God, Children Of Bodom, Throwdown, and All That Remains are my top favorites.

dossa wrote:
I do like Pantera... ever listen to Down? They have Phil Anselmo on vocals as well as a few other fellows from different bands. They have a song I was obsessed with for awhile, Bury Me in Smoke... great song...

Down are extremely awesome. Even their mellow songs are great, such as "Stone The Crow," which is my favorite. Those clean but southern rock riffs are infectious.
There's also Superjoint Ritual, also with Phil singing, as well as Hank Williams III on bass.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 1:00 pm

CowboyFromHell wrote:
Pantera (and member-related bands), Lamb Of God, Children Of Bodom, Throwdown, and All That Remains are my top favorites.

dossa wrote:
I do like Pantera... ever listen to Down? They have Phil Anselmo on vocals as well as a few other fellows from different bands. They have a song I was obsessed with for awhile, Bury Me in Smoke... great song...

Down are extremely awesome. Even their mellow songs are great, such as "Stone The Crow," which is my favorite. Those clean but southern rock riffs are infectious.
There's also Superjoint Ritual, also with Phil singing, as well as Hank Williams III on bass.

I adore Stone the Crow... great song. I never understood why more people never got into Down, they really are infectious. I agree with you on that 1000%. I have never listened to Superjoint Ritual... I will have to check them out. I love Phil's voice. Really while I am at it, I ought to look into Hank more... I have been starting in on that whole 'billy' music kick lately... psychobilly, horrorbilly... you know what I mean... from what I understand he does that sort of thing. Hm... note to self... compile list of music to acquire...

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 10:10 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcsIUqKK3Og[/youtube]

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 3:21 am

Iron Maiden, Rainbow, Dio, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath.

Omerik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2010, 9:05 am

dossa wrote:
My taste in music is... how to say.. all over the place. I have a hard time with genres though, meaning I never know what musician or band falls into what category. It all confuses me. I am not sure if the bands I would list would be considered metal, so I will stick to commenting on what has been mentioned...

I agree. I'm not sure I know enough metal music, but I do like Pantera a lot from what I know, and Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath, and also bands who are "half metal" like System of a Down and Rage against the Machine.

I don't think it's very artistic to restrict yourself to definitions anyway, it's just supposed to be used as a matter of convenience. I never understand the people who say "metal shouldn't be played like that", for example...

Anyone familiar with oriental metal? Kind of fusion between arabic and metal music. Unfortunately, most Israelis I know, at least when they're young, think they are genres that if you listen to, makes you sub-culturally different, and "rival"...
Nonetheless, it was brought together to combine Middle-Eastern and European elements together by Israeli band Orphaned Land, who also has a lot of its lyrics about different cultures and religions combined together tolerately:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u-nB_C_kEs[/youtube]

keep_the_keeper
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Feb 2010, 8:34 pm

I'm mad-keen on Gamma Ray, especially the albums Powerplant, Somewhere Out in Space, and Majestic. Also Running Wild, Seventh Avenue, Iced Earth, Dragonforce, Nocturnal Rites, Theocracy, and lots of other Euro-style power/speed metal.

I like some 80's stuff too, like Scorpions, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard.

lithium
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2010, 9:34 am

alright so no one'sgonna say it? well then i guess i'm the one that should say it............

SLAYER!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

sneschalmers
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Feb 2010, 5:22 pm

Iron Savior
Bal-Sagoth
Timeless Miracle
Primal Fear
Edguy
Symphony X
Children of Bodom
Darkthrone
Immortal
Satyricon
Emperor
Queensryche
3 Inches of Blood
Blind Guardian
Hammerfall
Saxon
Trivium
Iron Maiden
Nightwish
Dimmu Borgir
Amon Amarth
Killswitch Engage
In Flames
All That Remains
Shadows Fall
Helloween
Avantasia
Accept
Annihalator
Kreator
Kamelot
Ensiferum
Enslaved
Entombed
Evergrey
Dream Theater
Stratovarius
Sonata Arctica
Persuader
Pyramaze
Angra
Masterplan
Gamma Ray
Lost Horizon
Firewind
Cellador

MoonRa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Feb 2010, 9:39 am

Kreator, Exodus, Boltrower,
Arsis, Death, Nile, Atheist, Suffocation, Cryptopsy,
Arch Enemy, Behemoth, and many more

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 12:43 am

dossa wrote:
CowboyFromHell wrote:

dossa wrote:

I adore Stone the Crow... great song. I never understood why more people never got into Down, they really are infectious. I agree with you on that 1000%. I have never listened to Superjoint Ritual... I will have to check them out. I love Phil's voice. Really while I am at it, I ought to look into Hank more...

If you love Phil's voice, then that's one thing you might be disappointed about with Superjoint... his vocals are pretty well shot during this period. It was all the drugs and alcohol and you could also hear the stress it had on his voice during Pantera's Reinventing The Steel album. It was a dark time for him. Superjoint is also more of a hardcore punk band than just pure metal, a way different sound than with Down.H

And as for Hank III, he's amazing. It's old school style country and he really knows what it's about. More influenced by his late granddad than his father, Hank II, was. He is also good for doing most of the instrumentations on his albums. I highly recommend the album Whiskey, Weed & Women.