do you get along with your NT siblings?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nelleh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2010, 10:02 am

My brothers is abt 5 yrs younger than me. We are both well into our adulthood. I have never really liked him. Mostly because I always thought he was doing things wrong. It's silly but I still feel that way abt him and what he does. I keep my mouth shut these days but I still feel the same and it's not easy to keep my thoughts to myself. It's as if I always have to be right and prove it.

anyone else have these feelings abt your siblings?

best, nelle

Trebor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Feb 2010, 10:27 am

I understand the concept of love, of like, and dislike. I love my NT sisters, but I dislike them for there behavior. I would help or protect them if they were in danger, but at the same time see the things they do and don't understand them; this frustrates me intensely. I should now restate my comment. I love them, but dislike the things they do on a general bases. I would say I feel similar to you, but need more detail, do you not care for them and dislike them? Or like me do you care for them but dislike the things they do?

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 11:04 am

I enjoy my siblings more than my parents. My older sister found AS for me and has been very supportive finding info. on an Autism Conference and info. for me to go back to College she's been very supportive. Sure there are issues (tell anything to her she tells mom mom goes OMG you were upset what were you upset over! Me:nothing I'm fine etc.) If giving a speech I'd call her out and say "I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for my older sister" (Usually people call out there parents but not me!)

nelleh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2010, 11:09 am

I would feel bad if something happened to him mostly because my Mom would be hurt. I would save him tho. I think he is an ok person, he just doesn't make sense to me. I guess I love him because he is in my family but I don't feel love for him as an individual. I'm not sure that makes sense, but that's how I feel.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 11:11 am

I seriously think my brother is on the Spectrum!

We don't really get on that well.

He is so rigid and wound up that he makes ME seem positively laid back.

He works a fairly menial job and won't look for one that pays better because if he DID his ex-wife would get 30%! !!

Now there's a guy who really understands the essence of becoming financially independent!! !! !! !! !!

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 11:20 am

I have an NT younger sister. Our relationship is virtually nonexistant.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 12:18 pm

I get along well enough with my siblings. We mostly just leave eachother alone.

I wouldn't mind if they suddenly left and I never saw them though, at most I might wonder what they're up to once in a while.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 12:58 pm

My yongest son loves his older siblings, but they don't really "relate" very well to him. I like to think that it's mostly because of their age difference (there's five years between the youngest and his sister, and another five years between her and her older brother -- so ten years between the youngest and the oldest boy). I'm hoping that as he matures, they will eventually get along better. The older two are pretty self-absorbed (they are in college right now), and they get along REALLY well right now, which leaves the younger boy out of the crowd. He is very sweet and kind, and I think that when the other two grow up a little, they will appreciate him more. Also, as he matures and develops his own sense of self -- they may appreciate that too.

RhettOracle
Toucan
Toucan

04 Feb 2010, 1:22 pm

My family is estranged. I have an adopted sister, eleven years younger than me. We have never had a relationship. She is on her third husband now; I don't know his name, and she has a son by her previous husband, whom I've never seen. Her daughters are all grown up now. One of them had a baby out of wedlock. I don't know whether it was a boy or girl, its name or date of birth. So my sister is a grandmother at 40. I don't know where they live, or anything.

I have two younger brothers. I have no relationship with either of them anymore. I live 1500 miles from one, and 4000 miles from the other. I have no reason to go back to where I came from. I don't expect to see any of my relatives ever again. And that's a good thing. I couldn't handle the drama when we were all in much closer proximity to each other. Now I don't have to worry about it.

The thing is, if they wanted to contact me, they could. But they never have.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 1:32 pm

I get along with my younger sister... I didn't used to when we were kids but later we started being friends. She's really smart and usually knows what she's doing, so I can't say I've had the same problem as you, heh. Recently we don't really have a lot in common so we haven't been talking at all, but it's not because we don't get along.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 2:24 pm

No.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 2:28 pm

My brother and I got along much better when we were kids. Mostly because he would be patient with me, and when we played, we did things my way. Now that he's grown up, he's not interested in spending time with me anymore, and I miss him a lot.

sketches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2010, 2:31 pm

I'm pretty sure my siblings are NT and we do not get along at all. We used to be enemies, but we've drifted apart.

nelleh wrote:
I guess I love him because he is in my family but I don't feel love for him as an individual.

The above concept needs to be explained to me because I've never, ever understood it! Never!

nelleh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2010, 3:44 pm

sketches wrote:
I'm pretty sure my siblings are NT and we do not get along at all. We used to be enemies, but we've drifted apart.

nelleh wrote:
I guess I love him because he is in my family but I don't feel love for him as an individual.

The above concept needs to be explained to me because I've never, ever understood it! Never!

To be literal. I probably don't love him but I do love my Mom so I keep my mouth shut about how I really feel abt him. Some part of me thinks I should love him but don't. I would save him tho if anything went wrong. Is that love? It would be a loving act that I wouldn't preform for just anyone. So if we are splitting hairs then I don't love him but I'd save him if I could to prevent my Mom from feeling pain. When I was a kid I was very clear and open about how I felt abt him, this caused problems in my home. I just learned to keep my mouth shut to keep peace. I could ramble on but enough said.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 4:18 pm

Oh man, my sister and I scrapped constantly when we were kids. I had a lot of animosity towards her because my parents thought I was some kind of genius because I was "reading" at probably a second- or third-grade level at age 2, and had totally unreasonable expectations of me but expected next to nothing of her. It was worse because she was incredibly manipulative and she understood this double standard and milked it for all it was worth at my expense.

She can still be a ridiculously manipulative person when it suits her, but she never acts that way towards me anymore. She's as cool as can be to me. I only talk to her maybe every month or two, but we get along perfectly when we do.

I don't know if I'd quite call her NT though, she's definitely not AS but maybe avoidant or something (she's WAY less social than I am) and is a strange duck for sure.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 5:33 pm

NT brother here, younger by two years. We get along very well, although we are very different. We live halfway across the country from one another, but whenever we see each other or talk we have fun. We had a normal amount of sibling rivalry growing up, but never anything serious. He's really a wonderful guy, someone I am proud to know -- he's smart and funny and hasn't let fatherhood eat his brain. I know he still doesn't understand me, but he's used to that, just as I'm used to everything coming easily to him! I extremely glad to have him for a brother!