Rape victim receives 101 lashes for becoming pregnant

Page 5 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 7:38 pm

Aurore wrote:
This has nothing to do with being a Muslim. It has to do with being a Muslim extremist. My best friend is Muslim, she and her parents are utterly disgusted by things like this.

Thank you for being another voice of reason.

The ones still railing about Muslims or Islam being evil are simply looking for attention or an excuse to vent their hate and should not be taken seriously. They also belong in the PPR forum and have been instructed by a moderator to take their religious-based issue there. I'm not sure what their comprehension problem is with that -- maybe nobody rational is paying attention to their hatred there either.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 8:34 pm

sefer wrote:
The problem isn't just the religion, it's theocracy, a country that implements hundreds of years old sand-age laws. When religious people are in power bad things happen. Secular states with religious people living in them with their religion a private matter are generally fine.

I think the problem is in humanity. Religion is just a form of government. In some goverments they invoke god and in some they pretend not to (like in the U.S.). The scary thing to me about religion is the brainwashing starts in childhood. The state and governmentally supported prejudices are instilled in childhood, by parents (like sexism/misogyny) so that children confuse them with the truth because of what is taught.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 9:04 pm

Bella1 wrote:
In the Christian Bible women are also considered to be beneath men, but the predominant western culture is heavily focused on equality between the sexes so Christian women generally enjoy good rights. However this is only because women in western cultures fought for these rights. If women had just accepted not being able to vote or get equal pay in the workforce, maybe the culture would not have changed.
The Bible, properly interpreted, does teach the equality of men and women.

Galatians 3:28:
Quote:
'There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus

There is no recorded instance where Jesus disgraces, reproaches, or stereotypes a woman.

Jesus held a high regard for woman and it is evident in scripture. The bible is even one of the few historical books that reference women by name and includes them in written text. Many of our historical books only reference women if they are of royalty or were prominent.

From the very beginning of the early Christian church, women were important members of the movement. Paul identified sixteen significant helpers in ministry in his letters to the Romans (16:1-16), and at least ten of them were women.

Women even served as deacons in local congregations. - See Romans 16:1-2. "I commend unto you Phoebe our sister, who is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea: That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also." - Romans 16:1-2 KJV.

It is noted in scripture that Jesus spoke to women both in public and private, and indeed he learned from them. [Mark 7:24-30; Matthew 15:21-28] Jesus treated women as intelligent beings responsible for their own thoughts and actions in a time when rabbis didn't even speak to women.

The Bible is one of the few historical books that goes so far as to even mention women by name, you'll find that in most cultures during that time, only prominent woman were referenced or included in text.

In the Greek culture of that time, men generally did not include women in their discussion, and they never ventured out of the house very far. Social, cultural and educational opportunities for women were very limited. Yet, Jesus welcomed female disciples into his entourage to learn the ways of God, along with the male disciples.

Prior to Christ, most woman were treated as pieces of property, Jesus bought an equality to marriage, by instructing that a man is to love his wife like Christ loved the Church. He was to value, defend and respect her. (Ephesians 5:22-33) In exchange woman were to lovingly submit to their husband. Christianity provided women the right to marry whom they wanted and to divorce unfaithful husbands. Christianity introduced beauty and seriousness to weddings; indeed it recognized marriage as a divine institution. Edward Gibbon commented in The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, The dignity of marriage was restored by the Christians.

Before Jesus, widows were left to fend for themselves. Under Roman law, a woman was completely dependent on her male relatives. Jesus rebuked the Pharisees for taking financial advantage of them. (Mark 12: 40) In First Timothy 5, Paul says to care for the widower. The apostles appointed seven men as deacons to take care for the widows.
Roman law dictated during the time of Christ. Celsus, a Second Century critic, ridiculed believers, calling Christianity a religion that attracted women, a sign of weakness. Indeed, many Roman authors saw Christianity's treatment of women as a threat to the entire social order, which of course it was.

Christ's influence had numerous other effects that benefited women. Unlike the pagan Greco-Romans, the early Christians valued baby girls as much as boys.

Christianity liberated women, yet neither Christ nor the early Christians ever preached a political revolution. Instead he led by example and that is reflected in scripture in his relationships among women. Christ played a major role in promoting dignity, freedom and rights for women, that had not been previously been taught. He believed in the equality of men and women.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 8:02 pm

Fantastic post LiberalJustice! I had already mentioned in my post a few pages back that Christianity had destroyed the Paterfamilas system in Rome, as well as other appalling behaviour such as rape as an official punishment. People, unfortunately, critically review religions with a modern outlook. They don't research the social situation prevalent when that religion came into being.