Rape victim receives 101 lashes for becoming pregnant

Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 12:04 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... gnant.html

The girl's father was also fined and warned the family would be branded outcasts from their village if he did not pay.

According to human rights activists, the girl, who was quickly married after the attack, was divorced weeks later after medical tests revealed she was pregnant.

The girl was raped by a 20-year-old villager in Brahmanbaria district in April last year.

Bangladesh's Daily Star newspaper reported that she was so ashamed following the attack that she did not lodge a complaint.

Her rape emerged after her pregnancy test and Muslim elders in the village issued a fatwa insisting that the girl be kept in isolation until her family agreed to corporal punishment.

Her rapist was pardoned by the elders. She told the newspaper the rapist had "spoiled" her life.

"I want justice," she said

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 12:17 pm

and we say humans have come so far from brutality like this.... :evil: :thumbdown:

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 12:42 pm

That's outrageous, she was RAPED, she didn't have sex voluntarily. Her rapist is the person who should be beat, not her. Also, her pregnancy was also his problem, since he did not use any form of contraception.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 2:51 pm

I try very hard to uphold the principles of diversity, and intercultural respect.

But there are some practices that are so egregious, so offensive to basic human dignity that I cannot see my way clear to even a respectful disagreement.

Even in a legal system in which the victim (or in the case of women, the victim's male relative) can negotiate away the wrongdoer's punishment through payment of blood money, I cannot fathom how a community (much less a family!) can function in this way.

How will it be possible for women to advance the proposition that they are equal members of society without it looking like another case of Western imperialism? At what point will the leaders of the non-aligned movement, and the moderate Muslim states stand up and say, "enough is enough?"

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 3:24 pm

She is young and still believes in justice. I pray she gets it.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 3:45 pm

Fundamentalist Muslim. Not that Fundamentalist Christian is any better:

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT:

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

Jirachi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Feb 2010, 4:12 pm

ViperaAspis wrote:
Fundamentalist Muslim. Not that Fundamentalist Christian is any better:

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

Fundamentalist Jew as well as Deuteronomy is part of the Torah.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 4:20 pm

ViperaAspis wrote:

Although I think that being married to the man who raped you would be awful, I do admire the spirit of that ancient legislation. The intention is to protect the rape victim from a life of poverty because she's considered "unmarrigeable". I wouldn't want to marry a rapist but I do admire that they frame this as a crime against the woman rather than something she brought on herself and must be punished for. At any rate, it's a lot closer to justice than what happened in this news story.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 7:35 pm

Meadow wrote:
She is young and still believes in justice. I pray she gets it.

me too.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 7:42 pm

visagrunt wrote:
At what point will the leaders of the non-aligned movement, and the moderate Muslim states stand up and say, "enough is enough?"

The only moderate Muslim state is apostate.

The year is still young.

sefer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2010, 8:31 pm

quran 24:2

Quote:
(As for) the fornicatress and the fornicator, flog each of them, (giving) a hundred stripes, and let not pity for them detain you in the matter of obedience to Allah, if you believe in Allah and the last day, and let a party of believers witness their chastisement.

That's for premarital sex. I doubt they whipped the man though. Alot of these communities seem to just hate women.

And praying doesn't actually work I've tried.

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2010, 8:32 pm

As far as I can see, Islam is at the core of this. Don't get me wrong. I'm not condemning the religion as a whole, but this stuff does still go on. Sad...

sefer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2010, 8:35 pm

The problem isn't just the religion, it's theocracy, a country that implements hundreds of years old sand-age laws. When religious people are in power bad things happen. Secular states with religious people living in them with their religion a private matter are generally fine.

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

06 Feb 2010, 12:43 am

Now THAT'S what I was trying to say.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 7:05 am

Bangladesh is a secular country, and recently banned religious parties. Rural areas in the Indian subcontinent still apply their own versions of punishment, as unlawful as it may be. The issue will be settled according to Bangladeshi secular law.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 5:07 pm

Oh dear god...She was raped, for f***s sake. The piece of crap who did it should be given the lashes. Not her.