Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2010, 1:36 am

ive gone alone once, but no specific reason. its cool to go w a friend, cus you can do that movie-chat later. but going alone is cool, nobody else there CARES :D

tektek
Bronze Supporter
Bronze Supporter

07 Feb 2010, 5:22 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I do it, all the time. I like going alone.

i feel the same way. :thumleft:

why should it matter if you go alone? you are there to watch the movie, not for company and conversation.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2010, 11:41 am

I go to the cinema by myself all the time - I think the last time I went with people was when I tagged along with my mum and my sister when they went to see The Dark Knight (which I'd already seen three times without any company :)). Most recently, I went to see Avatar three times on my own, and have dined alone at restaurants more times than I can remember.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Only problem is, you don't get to discuss it with anybody else afterwards (always fun), but that's a very small problem, really...

Sean1969
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Feb 2010, 3:34 pm

I've gone to the movies dozens of times by myself over the past 10 years. I've only had two incidents where I felt that people were laughing at me. Once, at the end of a movie a group of females burst out in laughter that was obviously directed at me as they were leaving. Another time, I arrived about 10 minutes before the movie started and some "young lady" was sitting with her boyfriend a few rows ahead of me. She kept turning her ugly face to look in my direction and each time she would laugh. In that case she also did the same thing in the lobby. I assume in both cases it was due to my being there alone.

dreaming_water
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2010, 8:14 am

I've only been to the cinemas with other persons/ person, three times in my life - and I've been to the cinema ALOT. I find going with other people annoying because they like to talk alot amongst each other ABOUT STUPID STUFF (when I'm watching a movie, talking about anything other than the movie is very distracting and annoying to me) AND I can't seem to watch a movie with another person and not explain the movie to them (even if I haven't watched it before). I can't help it!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! :oops: and no one else likes it because afterwards I can't seem to stop talking about the movie. :oops: :roll:

So really for the sanity of those in the cinematic audience, it is really better that I sit on my own and eat my huge box of popcorn, drink my huge coke, and enjoy my movie.

I loved watching 28 Days Later and the Grudge, because I love to make the noise and copy the body lanuage of both those infected with the rage virus and that of the Grudge. I get laughed at, but who cares - it is so much fun just to pretend I'm a zombie! (Yes, I know it's weird). I've watched 28 Days Later 34 times in total (in the last year as my brother introduced me to that movie and I fell in love with it there and then) - I don't think I will ever tire of that movie. :lol:

Bearsac-Debra
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2010, 12:57 pm

I have not been to the cinema since soon after surround sound became the norm. However, I have been and still would go on my own if I wanted to go. I never noticed people stare at me, I guess they are busy watching the film.

I have been to restuarants in the evening alone both due to working out of the office and by personal choice. Sometimes in restuarants I get the feeling that they shove you (or try to) away in the corner so people can't see the person alone! I sometimes, if it is not too noisey, instead go and sit somewhere else, right in full view of people and at a table with at least 4 settings and then demand the menu to make it clear I am staying put.

I used to go to watch the Arsenal alone, went to clubs and gigs alone. Some girls in their teens/ early 20s have commented negatively and sniggered. Some women and more mature girls in their teens/early 20s comment that I am brave or that they wish they had the courage but mostly no one seems to react.

I guess that if you feel self conscious being alone it shows in your body languge and then people notice you and think you look sad. However if you look confident alone they don't think you look sad.

Best of all I like to I travel alone (with my teddy bear) and have written a book 'Travels With My Teddy Bear'.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 3:06 am

can't remember a time when i didn't have to do everything alone. if i cared how it looked, then i would be housebound. i am not rich-enough to be able to stay home 24/7, i can't afford to send out for supplies [very expensive to do so], so i periodically have to leave the house for sundries.

as for movies, i haven't gone out to see one since "AI-artificial intelligence" in 2001. i don't miss it. i am not at all tempted to view a 3-d movie such as avatar, i cannot imagine how it would be substantially better [in a material sense] than "captain EO" [disney theme park 3d cinema attraction] plus that film didn't require the fancy-schmancy bulky digital 3d glasses, just lightweight polarized stereoglasses.

i like being able to watch DVDs at home on my own schedule, pausing for breaks, using subtitles [am perceptually challenged], at my own volume and so forth. i will never visit a cinema again.

Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 9:40 am

I do it all the time, I never get looked at (nor do I care to see if anyone's looking) I don't see anything wrong with it. Maybe if you went and saw some girly love movie by yourself or something.. I worked at a theater for about a year, the only time I remember anyone I worked with commenting on some poor chap seeing a movie alone was an old man seeing hannah montana alone.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 11:12 am

Nope... I haven't ever really thought of it but then again, I don't like being in places on my own especially in very crowded places... But I tend to walk town on my own when i'm at college break sometimes... 8) Nothing is better than having a good old walk.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 12:13 pm

886 wrote:
I do it all the time, I never get looked at (nor do I care to see if anyone's looking) I don't see anything wrong with it. Maybe if you went and saw some girly love movie by yourself or something.. I worked at a theater for about a year, the only time I remember anyone I worked with commenting on some poor chap seeing a movie alone was an old man seeing hannah montana alone.

I went to see The Princess And The Frog by myself the other week, and when I said which film I wanted to watch, the guy behind the front desk said "Just you?" in a tone which suggested he was surprised why a guy of my age (who at this point is sporting a rather splendid beard :)) would want to go and see such a film on his own. I briefly thought about concocting some totally fabricated story about how my ex-wife had already bought two tickets and was bringing my son along later (I have neither an ex-wife or a son, in case you're wondering :)), but then I just decided "sod it" and said that I wanted to be a big kid again, which was definitely true :)

I mean, I like Disney films, and always have done, so why shouldn't I go and see it on my own?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 1:41 am

Bearsac-Debra wrote:
I have not been to the cinema since soon after surround sound became the norm. .

am curious as to what you dislike about surround sound? which brings to mind another question about whether aspies prefer mono or stereo?

Technikilor
Toucan
Toucan

18 Feb 2010, 1:53 am

I'm a huge movie fan and I don't even go to the cinemas, nor have I seen this "Avatar" film or plan to until maybe when it's released on Blu-ray. As long as you're comfortable with being in a movie theatre with fifty or so other people, then it does not matter whether you're alone or with friends.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 2:31 am

Go see it in 3D, you and everyone else will be wearing those glasses and have their eyes focused on the screen, I highly doubt anyone would care if your alone, I have never heard anyone whispering oooo look at the aspie girl sitting by herself, she's weird.

lithium73
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Feb 2010, 2:48 am

Who cares what other people think..............i am so beyond giving a crap about 'social norms'

Technikilor
Toucan
Toucan

18 Feb 2010, 4:38 am

lithium73 wrote:
Who cares what other people think..............i am so beyond giving a crap about 'social norms'

Agreed.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 2:00 pm

I wish I had the guts to go on my own. :lol:
I see people on their own in the cinema all the time. Who the heck cares? :P

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...