Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

mommyjhp
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Feb 2010, 7:24 pm

Has anyone faced this and if so how do you work with it?
My 10 year so is diagnosed aperegers, and ADHD. We have had to stop the ADHD medication (vyvanse) due to his weight loss (he is only 60 lbs) and now the ADHD is out of control.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 8:55 pm

I have both, but did not start medication till I was an adult. I did lose weight, but it just made me less overweight..
A symptom of stopping medication can be an increase of symptoms...

RedHorizon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2010, 12:12 am

I will say from experience that Vyvanse is indistinguishable from methamphetamine. Glad I'm not taking it anymore. It's speed, you're going to lose weight. I could probably answer all your question in this area. The verdict is basically this: you can take amphetamine to modify his behavior so that he behaves in an acceptable manner in school (I'm assuming this is the issue, at least the primary one), don't take amphetamine and leave yourself with inevitable issues in school, or reject typical schooling and find another option.

The reason I recommend finding another option is that schools are unconditionally venerated by parents, and this credit is undeserved. Unfortunately public schools are the default option, if not the only one, undeservingly associated with education and "better jobs", forcing you to adapt to an arbitrarily imposed institution, instead of vice-versa.

I'm not sure if what I'm saying is any help but I'm 17 and a senior in high school with parents that were trying to put me on a bunch of "medications" for years.

mommyjhp
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Feb 2010, 12:08 pm

My husband and I don't like medication and waited and waited to put him on medication. Last year in March we pulled him from the public school as all they wanted to do was complain about him and never even indicated that there was something more than an active 9 year old boy. He was more of a target for the teacher's fustrations I think.
After homeschooling him for period we began to see that there were underlying conserns. Only when he began eatting the skin from his fingers and toes and having "melt downs" that were becoming uncontrollable did we finally give in and say we need help.
We already knew the ADHD was there but also learned of the aspergers.
He is now in a private school in a 3/4 grade combined class with only 14 kids total. (no spec ed classes). He's brilliant. He just can't sit for five minutes or control his impulsive behaviors. His teacher has the patience of a saint and both his father and I have mental health education and experience.
If I had my way we wouldn't use medication at all but even he says that he needs help cause he just can't slow down.
Had any luck with other ADHD meds that didn't cause weight loss??

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 4:25 pm

I tried Ritalin (officially prescribed). buth that made me very unstable.

I tried dextroamphetamine (officially prescribed), but that may me rather numb.

I tried various illegal substances including LSD, MDMA, levoamphetamine, methylone and 2-FMA (self-medicated). Those did benefit me a lot, but the stimulants to tend to be addictive and result in dependence.

Currently, I try to stay free from any medication most of the time, although I do self-medicate occasionally.

My prefered combo for alleviating the more negative Autism symtoms is a mixture of levoamphetamine, methylone and 2-FMA.