Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2010, 5:48 pm

1. When I was in fifth grade, a class mate fell off the sllide and cracked his head open. So we're all going, "Should we get a teacher? Should we get a teacher?" because we're fifth graders and we're idiots. The kid says, "Yes goddamit, get a f*****g teacher!" So the teacher comes over while may I point out that his head is bleeding something awful and says, "Nick, you said a bad word. Can you apologize for it?"

2. My friend who is dyslexic writes a note to her teacher telling her that she is dyslexic. The teacher tells her, "If you've been daignosed with it, how come you can't even spell it?"

3. I tell a teacher about my Tourette's and when I'm ticcing in class, he asks, "So you can't control those things, can you?" Come on, why do you think it's a disorder?

4. A teacher who is annoyed about people just leaving for the bathroom to get out of class frequently doesn't let me leave when my nose starts gushing blodd.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2010, 8:10 pm

Those sound like some incredibly terrible teachers indeed. Mindbogglingly stupid.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2010, 8:54 pm

Julia_the_Great wrote:
2. My friend who is dyslexic writes a note to her teacher telling her that she is dyslexic. The teacher tells her, "If you've been daignosed with it, how come you can't even spell it?"

My response? This and this.

But they do not have me

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2010, 9:54 pm

Wow... as a teacher myself, I don't know whether to LOL, or be deeply disturbed, so I'll settle for rapidly cycling between the two. hahaha...yikes... hahaha... yikes...
I'm almost definitely on the spectrum, and if I "came out" to anyone at work, I'd probably be told that "people like me" aren't fit to teach. However, I would never display anything remotely approaching the level of stupidity these teachers did. Seriously... I'm at a loss for words. I need a moment to collect myself.

I found the second and third ones on the list to be especially interesting. I actually had a roommate in college who was very dyslexic (still is, I suppose) but it wasn't caught until late in her elementary school years. Her teachers saw that she wasn't learning how to read, but they couldn't figure out what might be causing this. Thus, they decided that she must simply be stupid, and they told her so.
I'm certified to teach children from birth to second grade -- Special and General Education. My interest was/ is Special Education, but where I live, if you want to be certified to teach Special Education, you need to get certified in General Education as well. This is because they want to make sure Special Education teachers are aware of what "typical" students are learning, so they can teach these skills to their students to the greatest extent possible. When I was studying for my Master's, there were quite a number of General Education classes I need to take as part of my course requirements. It wasn't unusual for me to run into other students of Special Education in these classes, because we were all required to take them. However, I did not run into the students of General Education in the Special Education classes, because they were not required to take those classes.[]In short, those studying to teach Special Education are required to learn about General Education, but those studying to teach General Education, are not required to learn about Special Education. :roll: If anyone's wondering why that's a problem, look back at the example of my roommate, and numbers 2 and 3 on Julia's list, and there you have your answer. Many General Education teachers don't have a clue what to do with students who are "different," and some drastically mishandle things as a result. I can think of some ugly examples from my own childhood, but I won't get into them here.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 1:00 pm

I've had some crazy teachers as well, many who liked to play favorites, etc.

In 4th grade, we had a teacher who would make negative comments about boys, saying it was always boys who caused problems, misbehaved, etc. while the girls didn't, which wasn't true at all.

In 5th grade at that same school, we had this teacher whom if she called in you for a problem and you didn't know the answer, she'd send you out in the hall. If we don't know the answer, how can we learn what the right answer is and why if we're not in class?

In high school, one day I happened to wear the same color Polo shirt as another student and the teacher saw this and immediately started picking on me about it. After that, everyday, she'd ask if anyone was wearing a shirt like mine. It eventually happened again, and of course I got picked on about it.

This same teacher once told a student who wasn't very tall, to sit under her desk, and she told another troublesome student to stand out in the rain. My parents also forced me to take another of her classes 2 years later, which was a mistake, but that's another story.

There was this girl in my class who constantly teased me and wouldn't leave me alone, even though I made it clear to her I didn't want anything to do with her. One weekend she left a note on the door of my house saying she and two of her friends came to see me but I wasn't home. When school started again on Monday, she came over to me and wanted to know why I wasn't home and I of course, told her to leave me alone, yet she kept bothering me. I got so angry with this girl that I picked up a textbook and threw it at her(I missed because she got out of the way.) The teacher sent me to the office and I had to spend the whole period copying from the dictionary starting at the word "blonde," since this girl was a blonde. She never had any consequences for the harassment she put me through of course.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 3:57 am

Hah. If I would have had #3, I would have said "Nah, I can totally control it. I just like screwin' with ya."

GreyThorn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2010, 4:11 am

In my freshman seminar class in college, we were doing an activity about data collection. We had to trace a path through a maze for something like 50 trials and time each one. Just one end to the other, no labeled start or finish, really basic. The important part was getting raw data to practice statistics with the task was arbitrary. So I'm working through my trials when one of the professors (psychology no less) comes up to me and says "you're doing it backwards". I've never lost respect for someone so fast.

TheCleverone
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Mar 2012, 11:23 am

One of our maths teachers was really clever (heavy sarcarsm here to the extent of an unbelievable change in my voice), often giving out clever clips like:

"After-school detention at lunchtime"

"Detention for being honest"

"Boy, how can you not see that 3 times 2 is 5 - don't be stupid - I get you on-call" [a thing that we have in our school where naughty children are sent to to be put on their own, in what resembles a police cell] Bear in mind that this is a top set Year 7 class (or 7th Grade), and by the end of the year I already had an A* GCSE in Maths - and evidently knew more than our teacher

"Boy, you do not need to go to the toilet - your trousers are not wet" (this thankfully was not directed towards me

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 11:27 am

We had a packet about grammer in 9th. I wrote on the top of one of the 4 pages I don't understand this and did all the other pages, so I had worked on it. She thought I meant I didn't understand the example at the top and put a slash through the page.

Shadowguy1375
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2012, 1:12 pm

I had the most stupid teacher for maths once, and yet he taught Set 1 maths(the highest group in a subject). i got moved to a different top maths group in the next year of school, with a better teacher than the other one.

He was hopeless, he couldn't teach at all, i am now lagging in my new class, along with the others who were transfered but i still remeber his most stupid moments.

this one was simalar to the one said in another post 'no you stupid boy, 6x4 is not 24 it is 16'

basicaly this girl next to me was having her, monthly cycle in class and she was asking this same teacher to go to the toilet. eventually after many no's she told him her problem in front of the entire class, and guess what he said? 'no'

later i saw sir getting paper towels at the end of the leasson

Ellendra
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2012, 2:38 pm

I'm still sure my 5th grade teacher hated me, but of course I'm not allowed to think things like that, right?

As one example: the class was getting a test back that I had missed because I was sick the day they took it, and the teacher told me to go sit in the library until someone came to tell me to come back. So I did. I sat and waited while they went over the test....while the lunch bell rang......while the bell for second recess rang......I obediently waited. When school let out I timidly went back to the classroom and asked if she wanted me to keep waiting or if I should go home. She blew up at me for not "coming back when I was supposed to", when she'd never sent anyone to tell me to come back, and then she reported me to the principle for "skipping class".

the_beautiful_mess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2012, 9:45 am

My chemistry teacher bullied me for months. He called me names, and made me do stupid pointless tasks like measuring precise amounts of sugar for his tea. He made sure I had no self-esteem, and frequently humiliated me in front of the entire class. He was a proper b*****d.
Now he's been suspended and is on police bail for sexual assault of minors (other girls at my school), so who's laughing now?

I have one teacher who gets annoyed with us if we bring water bottles to his class, yet spends the lessons drinking Starbucks.

I also have a teacher who likes to play edicational films (I say she's too lazy to write lesson plans, but there you go) and she always leaves the cursor IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN.

And last of all, my ex-biology teacher who set loads of homework every week then always said she just 'hadn't had time to mark it' because she had 'so many other classes' even though everybody in school complained she didn't mark things. In the end, we just stopped doing homework or wrote nonsense.

Actually, just thought of my teacher who condems the use of Wikipedia, saying it's for ignorant fools and is not a reliable source for homework, and then he switches on his Internet Explorer, and guess what, Wikipedia is his homepage.

8)

'I sometimes go to my own little world, but that's okay, they know me there.' ~ Joel Hodgson

AspieAshley
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2012, 7:40 pm

I could think of a zillion!

I often wanted to do things a little differently and they demanded that I "follow directions."

They wouldn't let me sit on my foot. (A ritual.)

They wouldn't let me wear socks that didn't match.

My paraprofessional in elementry school constantly verbally abused me.

They were always trying to talk (or worse yet force) me to to put up with things that bother me such as music. One day when I was in kindergarten, the high school's band (if I remember right) was coming to the elementary school to give a concert. That morning, my paraprofessional (yes, the same one who verbally abused me all the time) and myself saw them bringing drums into the school gym and the para soothed me with the words that it wasn't going to be loud. The moment the concert started that afternoon, I bursted into tears and screamed. The music was so loud that I could feel my heart vibrate. I thought it was going to dislocate. They would always demand that I "try" listening to things that bothered me before they did anything about it.

They arranged to slash my recess break every Wednesday in AT LEAST 4th grade and force me to go to "Lunch Bunch," a group of about six special-needs kids who ate lunch together (probably also by force).

They took me away from phy ed, one of my favorite classes, and forced me to go to something called "speech." (They picked phy ed because they thought it was one of the less "important" classes in school... And now we've got "top experts" scratching their heads wondering why we have a childhood obesity epedemic! Doesn't that figure!)

They were always trying to change me and make me conform, and when I would ask for help from other teachers and my parents, they would side with the teachers who were trying to force me to change and gang up on me together. They thought they were doing me a huge favor and molding me into a good employee. Instead, I am now holed up in a bedroom all day, too depressed and full of anxiety to do even the simplest of daily living tasks. School is really a concentration camp housed in a sturdy building with enough food to get by.

Tauri
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Mar 2012, 10:17 am

OuterBoroughGirl wrote:
I'm certified to teach children from birth to second grade -- Special and General Education. My interest was/ is Special Education, but where I live, if you want to be certified to teach Special Education, you need to get certified in General Education as well. This is because they want to make sure Special Education teachers are aware of what "typical" students are learning, so they can teach these skills to their students to the greatest extent possible. When I was studying for my Master's, there were quite a number of General Education classes I need to take as part of my course requirements. It wasn't unusual for me to run into other students of Special Education in these classes, because we were all required to take them. However, I did not run into the students of General Education in the Special Education classes, because they were not required to take those classes.[]In short, those studying to teach Special Education are required to learn about General Education, but those studying to teach General Education, are not required to learn about Special Education. :roll:

For a time, I was studying to be a teacher (Gen Ed), and only one course in special education was required for my teaching degree: a survey of exceptionalities. I was genuinely excited about it--I was considering taking additional SpEd courses as electives, for the same reasons you provide, and this course was a prereq--but once the class actually started, I was immensely disappointed.

Rather than provide a "survey of exceptionalities," the class was split into groups, and each group studied one extremely generalized type of disability; students with above-average social or subject area abilities were not discussed at all. Futhermore, these assignments were so generalized as to make the information gained practically useless in the classroom. For instance, students who "covered" speech disorders provided "speech pathologist" as an "accommodation," but failed to research any deeper than this. I remember sitting there thinking, "So, your plan for helping your students with speech disorders is to completely shift the responsibility for their learning onto another professional?" My experiences with in-the-classroom, practicing, certified Gen Ed teachers were, many times, not much better.

On a completely unrelated note, I once had an English teacher in middle school who lost one of the assignments I'd turned in, refused to acknowledge the loss, and then started a weeks-long feud with me over my grade in her class. The assignment was rather heavily weighted, but my all of my classmates verified that they'd seen me turn it in--I clearly wasn't lying--so the teacher said that I could redo the entire assignment. I huffed, because it was a long, tedious packet, but redid the assignment, anyway. The teacher then gave me a 50% rather than a 100% because "the assignment was turned in late," which dragged my final grade in the class down to some abysmal average that would mar my report card for the rest of the year and keep me off of the honor roll.

Long story short, the feud ended in a screaming match, with her dragging me out into the hallway--during the middle of my science class--and shouting for everyone on the second floor of the school to hear, "HOW DARE YOU QUESTION ME? I'M THE DEPARTMENT CHAIR! I DON'T LOSE PAPERS!" as if her title as department chair inherently gave her increased paper-tracking abilities. I was 12 years old at the time; she was in her 50s. After that, the principal ended up getting involved, other students were interviewed, and my grade was changed to a 100%.

Mewkin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Mar 2012, 3:40 pm

In Pre-K, the teacher from the next room (We had about four teachers in what was called a 'pod of classrooms') found some hair on the ground, came over, thought it matched mine, and then prohibited me from going out during Recess to play for a month.

I was held back in Kindergarten for an entire year because "_____________ acted abnormally in social environments."

In second grade P.E., a girl was pushing an older boy in a wheelchair around the track. I passed him several times, too shy to say hello, but then I finally worked up the courage to talk to him. I picked the first thing I had noticed about him to talk about, he was moving around similar to how a monkey in a cage would, and so I told him that he was much better at mimicking them than I was. Acting similar to animals was something I found amusing to do, it would have been a very much appreciated compliment if it had been directed towards me. However, the older boy or girl did not seem to notice I had spoken to him, and so I awkwardly began running along the track again, ignored. About a lap later the coach stopped me, making a big deal about what I had did. I asked why it was; she did not answer. All the teachers were disgusted with what I had done; I asked them as well with no answer. A conference was held with my parents about what I had said; my parents did not answer me either. I was grounded for 1-2 months without knowing what I had done. Everyone asked me why I would do such a thing, but I doubt they were actually interested in why, none of them seemed to listen to my story. Suddenly, I was one of the most heartless children to have ever existed.

Also in second grade, people thought I was weird and did not like me to sit with them at lunch, so I thought "Oh well" and eventually sat alone during lunch. There was this one teacher that told me kids could not sit alone, it was not right, I had to sit with other children. I reasoned as much as possible with her, but she could not be swayed. "What's the real reason I can't sit alone? It can't just be because I just can't." She responded with her entire narrow-minded philosophy on life and how people that do not like talking with everyone they see about everything will never be anything in life and will go to heaven alone when they die. I said I wanted to go in the lunch detention room, she said no, and then I poured chocolate milk on her shoes. I spent a few weeks looking forward to lunch after that; the detention room just had a teacher that liked to be on his computer, everyone had their own desk, and no one talked.

Somewhere in 4th grade-ish, a ton of irrational things happened that would take forever to explain. Teachers tried to force me to conform (Seeing that a lot on here, actually.) The way I talked had to be changed, I was taken out of P.E. regularly to work with a speech therapist that I surprisingly liked at least. One teacher kept punishing me with 0's for not looking at her while she talked even though I proved to her I was listening, making at least 4 zeroes a Six-Weeks Period for "Class Participation" grades. Stuff like that.

In 6th grade my science teacher refused to do attendance reports during class, so she based the reports at the end of the day on who she remembered being in class. I sat in the back, in the corner, and never did much to attract attention. I was accused of skipping her class at least 25 times during the school year, and received paddles/detentions everytime after the first warning. My parents were reasonable enough to listen to me, though, so I was never punished at home.
I started in band, playing the trumpet. I usually get all emotional when involved in music, and I make weird movements, such as waving my hands/fingers like a conductor's baton when thinking about symphonic instruments. One day when I had heard the "1812 Overture" and "The Planets", they would not leave my head. I excessively and even more dramatically lead the orchestra in my head during these pieces, and the band instructor noticed this. He thought I was mocking him, no matter what I would say, and I was removed from band for a month. I had to promise that I would never disrespect him again before I was allowed to join the class again.

There are many more instances, especially during Middle School through High School, but the complete stupidity of some of the adults of your youth can really be astonishing. You are a child, all adults know better than you, they know you better than you do, you are at your most impressionable stage, anything that makes you truly unique must be fixed. It's great to preach acceptance of all skin colors or religions, as long as what truly matters is similar and acceptable to everyone around you. Your mind cannot be abnormal.

Reminiscing on these moments in my past have made me gain several sads. :l

killernat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2012, 11:04 pm

its hard for me to remember specifics as i have mostly blocked out my elementary and high school yearsfor the most part (that i can remember) i didnt have such a bad time with teachers

i have a hypersensitivity to high frequency noise (like car brakes that squeak are pretty painful) anyway in high school there was an epidemic of the "mosquito ringtone" and the students all seemed to get just the right frequency to make me feel like my head would explode from the sound and of course i had quite big reactions to it (kids seeing this of course immediately keep doing it to get more reactions from me) the thing is with that ringtone is almost no one above 40 can hear it (in my school at least) i spent months trying to convincing teachers, counselors, etc that it was actually happening including showing them the websites that had it and playing the different frequencies for them and it took a lot of effort to acknowledge it i ended up carrying earplugs in my pocket for the last 2 years of high school just because the teachers were doing jack s**t about it and it was extremely stressful for me.

in middle school i remember i had this kid who would not leave me alone one day i was trying to adjust the monitor settings on the workstation i was on because they were default and badly misaligned but anyway every time i was halfway through he would push the power button (thus reverting it back to the default adjustments) i told him to stop after the second time and on the third (when he tried) i grabbed his arm and pushed it away he tells the teacher that i hurt him(this teacher isn't the problem i actually liked him) but i get called to the (vice)principals office with claims that i dug my nails into his arm (a bold face lie as i have always kept my nails neat and short) and i argued with the vice principal that i did no damage to him and showed him my nails that were much to short to have done any damage and that i was defending my personal space after telling him to leave me alone he told me that "i should have just walked away" despite the fact that i was there long before the other student was the vice wouldn't take it (the kid that caused all that is one that's often in trouble and a favorite of the staff) in the end i was forced to finish my day in the detention room including lunch (it was quite nice actually i got private desk and it was quite)had to serve 2 weeks of after school detention because the vice principal was playing favorites and me being the more "antisocial" person with the teachers got stuck with the short end with absolutely no consequences for the kid that caused it

i have one more but it requires far to much background information to talk about