Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2010, 3:01 am

I just finished watching Adam and am curious as to if apies here felt it was a good representation. I enjoyed it aside from the too perfect sets the actor playing adam clearly did his homework. A few points that felt unreal to me is the ease with which he took the massive change of his fathers death, No scenes of rocking in the corner or inability to care for himself he never even burned the mac and cheese!. Also when he got fired despite the fact he didnt blow when it happened so abruptly, I know I wanted to when all those people were touching him. I seriously identify with the maneuvering across new york to get to where she was, nothing can stand between an aspie and their obsession. ........ On Temple Grandin I do wish i had HBO so I could see the movie but it did spur me to do some research on her and I was amazed we have much in common. I posted a series of videos about her on my blog link below.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 4:35 am

Yea, some of it was a bit watered down, but also, this is the first major depiction of an Asperger's main character. Should they have decided to keep it 100% realistic, the movie may have done even worse and that would have been a bit of an injustice. Plus, look at it like Rainman. No one wants to see disabled people struggle, they want to feel better about the world and the happy autistic fits that bill.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

MorbidMiss
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2010, 4:38 am

A quick check showed that Hulu only had Clips and that Netflix does not have Temple at all... but I wouldn't completely discount Netflix getting it eventually, that site has all sorts of things. (although it is a paid site... but if your family has it already *shrug*)

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 7:18 am

I dont know if netflix will have it in instant watch because right now their biggest partner is Starz but they do have movies from showtime so maybe.

ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2010, 12:08 pm

thanks for looking that up Ive heard of Hulu but have never checked it out, and it may come out on netflicks after HBO runs it. I know I am being idealistic but it just looks bad showing him having no reaction to his fathers death, I rarely cry when someone dies but I do have some reaction!.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 4:45 pm

I thought it was a little stereotyped and the symptoms were exaggerated. But at least he had some normal skills.

ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2010, 5:01 pm

yes I agree there was definitely alot of exaggeration and some of it was very clinical.