Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 9:07 am

Does anyone else experience a fluxuating preference for being touched. Touching in general is uncomfortable for me, but I only really don't like when I'm not expecting it. I have this co worker who always wants to touch me. It's his way of trying to, "desensitize me" he said. At first when he would come up behind me and touch my hair or ears or something, I would recoil and pull away, sometimes violently. I never hit him, I would just be so uncomfortable I would jerk away very fast. After a while though, as he kept doing this, I got used to it and I hardly care anymore. I even kind of like it now. Is this because I know him better and trust him now? (btw I know this sounds like sexual harassement, but I work in the performing arts, where there is no such thing lol) Also, when I'm with a boyfriend, I like to cuddle and stuff. Does anyone else not like being socially touched, but enjoys cuddling? I'm confused...

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 9:14 am

dustintorch wrote:
Does anyone else experience a fluxuating preference for being touched. Touching in general is uncomfortable for me, but I only really don't like when I'm not expecting it. I have this co worker who always wants to touch me. It's his way of trying to, "desensitize me" he said. At first when he would come up behind me and touch my hair or ears or something, I would recoil and pull away, sometimes violently. I never hit him, I would just be so uncomfortable I would jerk away very fast. After a while though, as he kept doing this, I got used to it and I hardly care anymore. I even kind of like it now. Is this because I know him better and trust him now? (btw I know this sounds like sexual harassement, but I work in the performing arts, where there is no such thing lol) Also, when I'm with a boyfriend, I like to cuddle and stuff. Does anyone else not like being socially touched, but enjoys cuddling? I'm confused...
Yes. I enjoy cuddling and other 'deep' touches but I do not enjoy light touches. They feel very extreme.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 10:38 am

I only like to be touched when I want to be touched or if they have my permission.

Sometimes I like to be cuddled and rubbed. My head is my favorite spot. When I am cold, I will cuddle up to my husband in bed.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 10:47 am

Same, cant stand being touched on my neck or back (i resemble a cat thats been picked up by the neck and tenses up).

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 11:01 am

Sometimes I HATE touch but I have alwys loved cuddling and oddly enough light sratches on my arm an back. I really enjoy the very intence feeling not sure why or if I am the only one who lives it instead of hating it I tend to fluctuate to wanting touch and hating it :?

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Feb 2010, 11:10 am

I don't like to be touched unless I am expecting it and it is by family. But even then, touch has never really felt right to me. It feels unnatural and uncomfortable. But yet, I would give a million dollars if I had it just to hug my grandparents again. I want to feel those hugs and kisses again. So I am confused too. At church there is this same guy that always pats me on the shoulder as he walks by as I am seated at the organ. I cannot get used to him doing this even if I know he is going to do it. I cringe afterwards. In my mind I am shouting "STOP!! !"

Touch is just one of the sensory issues that we with autism can have. And within that issue comes varying degrees. I believe yours, Dustintorch, is quite within the boundaries of the autistic spectrum. When you get used to this person, then that person becomes part of your routine---what you expect. We all have differences within these things. Whereas many autistics like firm touch when they get it, I prefer lighter touch. Within this issue of touch, there will be differing ways it will manisfest itself. So I see yours as a sensory issue, but when a person becomes routine for you (you are accustomed and comfortable with that person), then you can tolerate it and enjoy it.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 11:13 am

My 8 year old sister has "touching issues" the parent board doesn't like me mentioning 1 or 2 traits I see so I'll mention here what I see.

1) Immature interest (more interested in toys than buying clothes and still into Dora/preschool shows going on 9 years old!!)

2) Sensory issue (could be the touching perhaps)

3) meltdown (of course this is usual child don't get her way she whines/cries/or sister did X/this whine)

4) friends (at a new school for 6 months she didn't make many friends unlike the older sister who had 1 she spent the night with etc.) The 8 year old kept in contact with her friend from her old school.

(I'm not truly certain on the "social skills" part yet we'll see how she develops but as of now IMO I'm laining towards ATLEAST a learning disability since she might not past 2nd grade according to mom. :-) Sure there's more to AS than this trait or that. But it's interesting IMO to see these traits in her. Please don't be mad. :-)

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 11:29 am

I don't mind being touched if I'm expecting it (like if someone is holding out their arms to hug me), but I don't like unexpected touching, like if someone comes up from behind me.

AppleCat
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2010, 11:43 am

I also dislike being touched, especially by people I don't feel comfortable with. If somebody I'm not familiar with touches me I feel trapped, and it's as if as long as they are touching me they have a hold over me, and I can't do anything. I'm not a big fan of hugging people either, though I will tolerate it, and I prefer to greet somebody by shaking their hand.

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Feb 2010, 12:26 pm

I dislike being touched without warning (especially if someone comes up from behind.) I prefer that touches come with at least my implied consent (mutual hugs, hand shakes, etc.) If someone casually touches me as they pass by, I cringe (unless they are *extremely* close to me - family or loved one - and even then, I may find it a bit unwelcome.)

I don't like light/gentle touching - I prefer firm pressure. Strong hugs are best!

I went for a therapeutic massage once - told the masseuse I preferred deep pressure. It was fabulous! (All the conditions were right - I was expecting the touch, it was with my express consent & it was firm pressure.)

Uriel_sola
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Feb 2010, 12:27 pm

For me it's all about expectation. If the touch is expected I experience what I see as a normal range from ick to yumm.

If the touch is unexpected I will hit the roof. I will scream or squeal, I will throw or drop whatever is in my hands because I lose control of my arms. My startle response is a monster, and it doesn't matter if it's a stranger or my spouse. He has learned that it is not cute or playful to come up on me from behind.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 12:31 pm

dustintorch wrote:

This guy is doing you a favour, though at a guess he might also be into you (unless there is some reason to do with your line of work that makes it necessary for him to touch you from behind). I used to react badly to being touched from behind, but one day I just stopped myself before I could flinch and now there are no more awkward moments where I have to explain my reactions to people.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 12:39 pm

Uriel_sola wrote:
For me it's all about expectation. If the touch is expected I experience what I see as a normal range from ick to yumm.

If the touch is unexpected I will hit the roof. I will scream or squeal, I will throw or drop whatever is in my hands because I lose control of my arms. My startle response is a monster, and it doesn't matter if it's a stranger or my spouse. He has learned that it is not cute or playful to come up on me from behind.

Yep...this is how it is with me...and it does fluctuate...and even when I am in a comfortable zone with somone...like a partner..I have big no-touch zones...
I don't always squeal, but I will definitely jump...I don't understand people who feel the need to casually touch you during the course of conversation....every time they touch me, it is almost like a little shock...

Ironically, I like to touch the two people I am most comfortable with and one of them is very ASish..and often is having to tell me to please not touch him...
Sometimes (but not always)..a touch can be normal....or have a pins and needles repelling effect...depending on his mood...

MoonRa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Feb 2010, 12:39 pm

dustintorch wrote:
Does anyone else experience a fluxuating preference for being touched. Touching in general is uncomfortable for me, but I only really don't like when I'm not expecting it. I have this co worker who always wants to touch me. It's his way of trying to, "desensitize me" he said.

Not really a fluxating perference, but more an evolving acceptance; getting used to some touching-ritual over time.

dustintorch wrote:
Does anyone else not like being socially touched, but enjoys cuddling? I'm confused...

I don't like socially touching at all.
It's ok in a formal way like shaking hands, but I don't like the hugging, cuddling, kissing etc., to close and intrusive.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 12:50 pm

I don't really like being touched sometimes, mainly strangers though.

As long as I feel comfortable with the other person, I won't mind. :)

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 1:02 pm

I hate to be touched, even just in a crowd that someone bumps against you or something.