Search for a college major. Help?!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

AspieBri
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2010, 1:04 pm

I've heard that a lot of aspies pick their careers based on their special interests. So I want to pick a major that will ultimately lead up to a career that I'll love. I just need a little help. What major involves art, science, computers, animals, ancient history, and astronomy? Or at least three of these things. Help? :D

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Feb 2010, 1:47 pm

Except for majors that lead to a certification (education, medicine, law, engineering), just be aware that the job you eventually get may not be directly related to your college degree. Employers want to see that you are capable of finishing a program. They are also interested in the skills you bring to the job. Those two things aren't necessarily related.

That said, you might look into forestry/wildlife management (science, animals & computers - most research-related fields are going to include computers these days.)

I could also envision a historian studying how knowledge of astronomy has impacted the art & science of various cultures.

I'd say, pick the one thing you are most passionate about & study it in the context of your other interests.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 3:49 pm

Originally i started with a computer science major, which was heavily involved with programming. Eventually, my adviser told me about a new computer forensics program at the school. It involves computers, has a noble purpose, and is a never-ending headache like the rest of my life. I'd say that's a fit.

You can look for a major all you want, but sometimes, the major has to find you. (in Soviet Russia?)

But they do not have me

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2010, 4:54 pm

Oh my goodness! I recently asked a question like this!
I am torn between Astronomy and Art right now! How does one pick..?

AspieBri
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2010, 7:04 pm

I think I narrowed it down. I'm looking at computer engineering or astronomy. I get to choose my classes early (months early!), so I really have to pick. I don't like the whole "change my major whenever I want" thing. I want to go in knowing exactly what I want to do.

Gremmie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 7:09 am

For art, science and ancient history studying archaology might work.