Who here has a successful relationship with an NT?

Page 1 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 3:58 pm

I do, my girlfriend is NT :)

Hows about the rest of you? Any other Aspies/auties in relationships with NTs? How's it going? :)

Last edited by Asp-Z on 08 Feb 2010, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 4:05 pm

Definitely need to excuse myself from this thread... :roll:

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 4:10 pm

My wife is not on the spectrum; whether she would be classified as "NT" depends on which definition one uses.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 4:13 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
My wife is not on the spectrum; whether she would be classified as "NT" depends on which definition one uses.

M.

Similar feelings re: the guy I'm dating...

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 4:27 pm

I have a wonderful relationship with my husband. We've been together about 14 years. He took the aspie quiz, and his little chart was very symmetrical, "You seem to have both AS and NT traits." That's about right. He can talk your ear off about the makes and models of cars in 1960's British spy movies, and he's an engineer. But also, despite the fact that he's not a social butterfly/go-getter, he's quite good at getting along with everyone and being a "team player". He's got the best of both worlds.

I don't think I'd be able to have a good relationship with the type of NT that always seems to be stereotyped here on WP, but I think that's only a subsection of NT's.

Gremmie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 5:42 pm

makuranososhi wrote:

M.

I'd say the same for my boyfriend. He's an unlabelled antisocial workaholic lunatic and it's all rather good tbh.

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

08 Feb 2010, 6:19 pm

makuranososhi wrote:

M.

If it's not too personal, what does that mean exactly? I kind of thought "NT' really just referred to people who's brains functioned like most of the population's, but wasn't indicative of psychological or emotional health. I guess my understanding of NT is pretty limited to "not autistic." Sorry - don't mean to be rude or intrusive.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 6:26 pm

Some define NT as "not on the autistic spectrum" while others define it as "without any impairment whatsoever" - she's not on the spectrum, but deals with her own issues... so it would be dependent on whose definition one was using.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 6:28 pm

I see....thanks for hipping me to that, dude.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 8:06 pm

I was in a successful relationship with an NT but apparently she was an online girlfriend. :lol:
But I knew she was real because I bumped into to her into numerous occasions without even realising and that was like after we broke up. :lol:

But what I didn't know was that she turned out to be a lying cheating.... so I guess that only worked for a while until what she did...

I don't know if that counts?

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 8:28 pm

yep! one year with my boyfriend next month :D

though, again, it depends on what definition of NT you're using (i'm using the "not on the spectrum" definition :) )

sketches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2010, 9:54 pm

*Raises hand*

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 2:28 pm

OP, to what do you attribute your success?

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 3:01 pm

Been there, done that... Guess it wasn't too successful seeing as they (the relationships) ended.

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 3:57 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
Some define NT as "not on the autistic spectrum" while others define it as "without any impairment whatsoever" - she's not on the spectrum, but deals with her own issues... so it would be dependent on whose definition one was using.

M.

I hadn't even noticed that... I always assumed NT to mean literally, neurotypical. Meaning absent any developmental disorder, absent any type I personality disorder, absent any type II personality disorder, absent any schizophrenic spectrum disorder, and absent any form of neurological disorder.

Why in the world would you ever classify someone with say Avoidant Personality disorder, Bipolar disorder, schizophrenia or Disassociative personality disorder as NT? That doesn't even make sense... that's like being a white person from Germany complaining about blacks, but including all the other whites from Europe while just saying blacks. It's illogical.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 4:06 pm

Vyn, I think people use the term NT both ways, which is the source of a lot of confusion. I think the confusion in terminology can lead some Aspies to believe that because someone is NT (in the "not autistic" sense of the word) - that means that person is somehow "normal" (I posted a sticky thread to that effect a few months ago). That assumption can have disastrous consequences. As someone who is NT, there's a huge difference between me and someone with any of the mental illnesses you mentioned. But I pity the Aspie who doesn't realize that....they're in for a lifetime of hurt.