Do people on the Autism spectrum have romance and marriage E

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

EquiisSavant
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Feb 2010, 3:35 am

What do most people on the spectrum think: Do people on the Autism spectrum have romance and marriage Equality -- or are we by and large excluded from achieving this with someone WE desire due to the neurotypical Barbie / Ken perfect social structure we live in and the pressures it puts on our other to "conform" ?

And, if the latter, is this a form of Autism discrimination similar to the Gay rights sruggle for the right to marry ?

I tweet a lot over on Twitter where I have more Autistic savant followers than I can handle. I don't seem to be getting notifications of replies to my posts. I can also be tweeted over there if I don't see replies, and anyone wants to debate or discuss this.

If I miss anyone wanting to talk about this, just tweet me and I'll come back over here.

~Equiis

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 4:08 am

I have been married for 8 months this month.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 4:23 am

My dad has been married for 28 years.

His father (I'm going to assume was AS since I'm going to assume a fairly strong genetic connection and the more I reminisce, the more the two remind me of each other and also remind me of me) was married for something like 60 years.

I don't believe in marriage. I think that, as a woman, I'd just get the shaft and end up being a maid. Also, I really hate kids, so what's the point?

danace2000
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Feb 2010, 4:59 am

I've been married for 10 years, but my wife say's romance has always been a problem for me.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 7:44 am

I have never heard of society bias problems with autistic mates,
but autistic guys often have trouble with relationships with women,
especially since the 1980s, when everything started changing too
fast to keep up to date with the conformity expectations, or something like that.

That's probably finally an obsolete theory. I can't explain the new one yet.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 8:06 am

EquiisSavant wrote:
What do most people on the spectrum think: Do people on the Autism spectrum have romance and marriage Equality -- or are we by and large excluded from achieving this with someone WE desire due to the neurotypical Barbie / Ken perfect social structure we live in and the pressures it puts on our other to "conform" ?

And, if the latter, is this a form of Autism discrimination similar to the Gay rights sruggle for the right to marry ?

I tweet a lot over on Twitter where I have more Autistic savant followers than I can handle. I don't seem to be getting notifications of replies to my posts. I can also be tweeted over there if I don't see replies, and anyone wants to debate or discuss this.

If I miss anyone wanting to talk about this, just tweet me and I'll come back over here.

~Equiis

bolding by me.

No. The struggle for gay people to have the right to be legally married is a struggle for two consenting partners to marry each other. If somebody does not consent to be your partner, this is not discrimination. This is the legal right to choose one's own partner. What you are asking for is a form of slavery- the right to take whoever you desire as a partner despite the other person's wishes.

If autistic people were forbidden to marry, just as gay people are in most places, you would have a point. But this is not the case. You are legally allowed to marry a consenting adult of the opposite sex (or same sex where gay marriage is legal) but that person must consent. Their lack of consent despite your desire IS NOT DISCRIMINATION. It is free will.

RICKY5
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 9:25 am

It really depends on what you want. I've seen way too many NT people be completely miserable in their relationships to really want one.

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

09 Feb 2010, 2:33 pm

EquiisSavant wrote:
What do most people on the spectrum think: Do people on the Autism spectrum have romance and marriage Equality -- or are we by and large excluded from achieving this with someone WE desire due to the neurotypical Barbie / Ken perfect social structure we live in and the pressures it puts on our other to "conform" ?~Equiis

Ummm....neurotypical Barbie / Ken perfect social structure? I guess I'm missing that page from my rule book, cause I'm NT and I didn't realize that's what I was signing up for. If it makes you feel any better, everyone is pressured to conform to someone else's idea of what's acceptable to some extent....one can either give in to the pressure or not. There are consequences either way.