Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

episodic gaming waste of time or a great idea?
crap idea. 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
extremely well thaught out. 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
didn't think about it. 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 10

black_legion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2010, 10:05 am

don't you think that this gimmick is comepletely useless? i believe it never worked and that it really was a crap idea on the the parts of game developers, a few months ago, they tried to put fable 2 into a episodic game, and it failed, they didn't even manage to get the free version to take off, and with episodic games they are definately a plan just to recirculate games to get even more money from them than when they had brand new disk copies circulting around the world's retailers.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 5:14 pm

Define episodic game...

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2010, 11:46 pm

Episodic gaming is the idea that a game will be released in small parts, or episodes. Each episode would be quite cheap and would progress the story of the game a small amount.

The idea has generally not worked, mostly due to episodes being fairly large downloads with rather little content. They also require a lot of work from the development team, much more comparatively that just making the whole game. They are also download only, which limits the market a lot. Lastly as the gameplay is broken up, with episodes weeks apart, they lack immersion.

Its an idea that sounds good on paper but is not really practical/marketable.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 1:37 am

Half Life 2 Episode 3. I wait with bated breath.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 1:40 am

I enjoyed the Half-Life episodes.

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2010, 4:33 am

There was a big hoohah about episodic gaming at first, and then it kind of flopped and there's never been anything much about it since.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 11:39 am

Half-Life 2 has flopped as an episodic game I think. The wait between the end of the main game (the longest part so far) to the episode about 18 months, then another 18months to episode 2. So much for every 6 months. It's been 2.5years since episode 2 ended. I would have preferred if episode 1 was longer rather than just getting everyone out of there. Episode 2 seems to be about getting the information to your people. Episode 3 I assume is to find the lost ship which the Aperture science team were working with and use something on there to end the hold of the combine.

I suppose episodes would work if the developers keep to their scheduled release time-table. Or develop ahead, so by the time the main part is finished, episode 1 is completed. And maybe a section for working out the bugs

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 2:31 pm

I felt HL2:Ep2 was long enough to be a game in its own right, rather than an episode.

But then again, games are becoming so short these days anyway...

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 2:35 pm

I enjoy Telltale Games episodic games. Sam & Max Season 1 and 2 were pretty good. Looking forward to Sam & Max season 3.

KWC10
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Feb 2010, 5:04 am

I'm surprised no one has mention the .hack games