Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

aziraphale
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Feb 2010, 4:06 pm

This is a horrible "school" where they torture juveniles on the autistic spectrum as well as sometimes people with other issues such as ADHD, bipolar, PTSD and Asperger's. They give very painful electric shocks for even the most minor offenses like swearing and sometimes they play awful mind games like ordering a person to disobey the rules and then shocking hir if si doesn't do it and shocking hir more if si doesn't do it. Originally they beat the patients with spatulas, pinched their feet and made them inhale ammonia. They stopped that when they realized that the patients got used to it over time. The patients now spend all their time hooked up to a sort of backpack with electrodes on their skin so they can be shocked. The school claims that this is the only way to help the severely autistic. Even if that were true, which I highly doubt, most of the juveniles there are on the higher functioning end. The courts have repeatedly ruled in their favor after attempts at shutting them down, though they have now been found abusive and given a slap on the wrist. Basically they said "Okay, you can still torture kids, but try not to kill any this time." That's right, people have died here. In fact, when one reporter visited the school she interviewed a very obviously coached girl in the presence of many supervisors. A little girl quickly held up a paper that said "help us." She did this at considerable risk since she was probably caught by the security camera and in blatant violation of logic they will shock students if they find out they misbehaved via camera. I am not making this up. This is something right out of the 19th century. Something really needs to be done. I'm just not sure what. :-/

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 4:12 pm

...Words... fail me...

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 4:19 pm

Very simple, the place needs to close down. Plus the staff need to be sorted out. I suggest that they should be put through a classification process.

1. Those who need to go to jail for a very long time
2. Those who need to have a short time in jail
3. Those who need some other punishment
4. Those who were passengers who did no wrong or good
5. Those who were there but were doing something to help the residents.

Then we start with those in list one, we then put them on trial. Then we move down the list dealing with the lessor offenders.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 4:34 pm

Apparently justice is not being served for a reason. Has anyone tried to approach an investigative reporter? Can messages be smuggled out? Is the judge being paid off? You are right, this absolutely cannot continue. People on the outside need to keep fighting for people on the inside. What are the parent's responses?

Arminius
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2010, 5:24 pm

Check out the program visitation report. This is disgusting.

Program Visitation Report

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 5:58 pm

What a world we live in. Stories like this get buried, but someone with too much money to burn puts up a George Bush billboard in Minnesota and the media treats it like a mystery worthy of Sherlock Holmes.

If I were a journalist today, I'd be embarrassed to tell anyone.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 6:20 pm

um.. can you give me as much information about this place as possible please? I would like to make a contriversial youtube video AGAINST it.

It literally makes me sick.

BrooxBroox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Feb 2010, 6:30 pm

I saw something about this awful school on television once. It was filled with images of propaganda, showing autistic people when they were children engaging in self-injurious behavior and then the same people as adults functioning much better. They even had one man with autism who now lives in a group home saying he is thankful for the school because it taught him to act better.

I'm completely against this school. Sure, that therapy may have worked in some cases, but I can think of at least 1000 better alternatives.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 6:43 pm

As I recall, there have been a few threads about the Judge Rotenburg Centre here before.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 6:45 pm

I Googled and there's a lot of information on the place. It's actually the Judge Rotenberg Center. They seem to be ready with all the slickest answers to complaints. There has to be some standard against physical and emotional abuse for these schools.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 7:42 pm

this is disgusting--absolutely disgusting

this is completely dehumanizing the "students" at this "school" i can't see how it is legal in any sense of the word.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 7:51 pm

Imagine if we lived in a world where, instead of strange thought processes or ways of viewing the world, believing you could help people by electrocuting them over and over and over was considered a mental disease.

Arminius
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2010, 9:54 pm

I like the idea of a YouTube video.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 10:51 pm

musicislife wrote:
this is disgusting--absolutely disgusting

this is completely dehumanizing the "students" at this "school" i can't see how it is legal in any sense of the word.

It's not. They simply have enough money to make it legal under Corporate America's Golden Rule: "Whoever has the gold, makes the rules."

Screw trials. This place needs to be bombed. I suggest a three-stage process: an EMP to disable the electrode packs, breaching charges to provide an egress route for the inmates, and C4 to finish off the facility and any remaining staff, because anyone who would willingly work in this environment is too sadistic to let live.

I hate to have to suggest this kind of extremism, but given this place has been investigated Lord knows how many times and is still in operation, can we really trust the US justice system to do what is right and what needs to be done?

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2010, 5:54 am

Maybe set Anonymous on them?

Adolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Feb 2010, 5:59 am

My spiritual twin Adolf wasn't a big fan of Rothenberg paedagogics.