Anyone else besides me think Kids TV today is a joke?

Page 1 of 9 [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

AspieCartoonist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2010, 10:24 pm

I don't know if this has already been addressed, but I have a little tangent I need to get off my chest.

Anyone here who grew up in the 1990s (or 80s, or 70s, or something) knows exactly what I'm talking about. Old School Nickelodeon, with Rocko's Modern Life, Rugrats, Ren And Stimpy, Are You Afraid Of The Dark, and a whole lot more....poof! Gone! Now it's nothing but generic crap, the cartoons are only in two flavors:

1. Spongebob (I'll admit it, I'm ambivelent toward the little sponge-dude :oops: )
2. Or over-used generic CGI-crapola.

Other than that, it's nothing but iCarly this, True Jackson that. The plots are mostly the same as the crappy shows on the Disney Channel, which brings me to the Number Two channel I loath nowadays. I remember shows like TailSpin, Ducktales, Gargoyles, Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers, Goof Troop, just to name a few....Vanished. Toon Disney used to play them, but then it decided to cater to the pre-teen crowd and now (as Disney XD) plays nothing good at all! Just the same crap that was on The Disney Channel (with some sporty crud),

Suite Life, Hannah Montana (Thank God that show is near done), and the Jonas Brothers...in the words of the immortal Charlie Brown...

AUUUUUGH!

All I have to say about Cartoon Network is that while Disney Channel and, to some extent, Nick is for pre-teen girls only, Cartoon Network is for pre-teen boys only! What used to be Dexter's Laboratory (By the way, didn't Dexter just scream aspergers, or what?) Courage The Cowardly Dog, Ed, Edd, n' Eddy, Toonami, is now a slew of over the top randomness, fart jokes, and annoying innuendo.

In my opinion, I don't think there is anything good on TV anymore these days, and maybe this crud is why kids today are as dumb as a sack of rocks. Maybe I'm being harsh, but it's looking that way to me. :evil:

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 10:30 pm

Man I feel you on that when I was a kid I remember some good stuff on both networks now something good is as rare as an oasis in the dessert

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 10:34 pm

Yes. Most stuff is live action or sh***y CGI and everyone copies each other. OMG Harry Potter is big lets make something called Wizards of Waverly Place, OH Hannah Montanna/Jonas Brothers Nick creates there own versions Naked Brothers Band and Big Time Rush. Oh Hannah is a singer and a girl in high school lets make iCarly a girl with a webshow and goes to high school YA! Oh and on the cartoon front Alot of stuff is sh***y CGI I LOVE Toy Story 1 and 2 and am psyched for 3 but I KNOW if it wasn't for its success we probably wouldn't have the CGI crap stuff we have now. :-( Also while I like Spongebob it seems anymore that's almost the only thing that's on!! !

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 10:54 pm

Almost ALL modern day children's television shows are TERRIBLE. The 90's have to be the best just in terms of the humor and just how much more intelligent it is than todays children television. The only Children's TV i watch anymore are reruns of old 90's series. Spectacular Spiderman (it is actually an amazing Comic based series and not purely for children and as I am a HUGE Comic nerd i love it) and of course Spongebob (although it has gone way downhill ALMOST to typical children's show now) and iCarly which is strangely entertaining.

But children's TV shows today just aren't funny or even entertaining for that matter. they all rely on fart jokes, cliches, or stupid gimmicks.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 10:57 pm

Well you know a show is bad in the humor department when they need a laugh track to tell the kids that they believe it was a funny bit.

Man I hate Disney at the moment and the only saving grace for them in my eyes is the Kingdom Hearts series

FuzzyElephants
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2010, 11:34 pm

I saw about 5 minutes of "Yo Gabba Gabba" on Nick Jr. earlier... fricken scary. Reminded me way to much of the drug trips out of the movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. (And people wonder why so many kids do drugs these days...)

Anyways, the only thing I can stand to watch as far as young entertainment goes is Cartoon Network and even then some of the shows on there I really can't get into. Cartoon network's only apeal to me, other than my dogs watch it while i'm out of the house thus keeping them occupied and not eating my stuff, is that they still occationally play Ed Edd and Eddy, if you get up real early in the mornings they still occationally play Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry cartoons... and every now and then if I get lucky they'll play afew episodes of The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy (awsome show). Total Drama Action wasn't to horrible but mostly because it picked on over done reality tv shows. Johnny test is decent as well but not quite on par with Dexter's Lab or Ed Edd and Eddy.

My only real problem with Cartoon Network is the live action shows they're putting in the adult swim line up... like Tim and Eric Nice Job Good Show or whatever it's called and The English Office. If I wanted to watch England's version of the office I would get premium cable and watch it at 6 pm when the rest of the crappy sit coms about boring people who hate their jobs are on.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 11:42 pm

I do like Chowder and Flapjack, and the Garfield Show is good (but not as good as Garfield and Friends, though).

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Island
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2010, 11:45 pm

AspieCartoonist wrote:
Anyone here who grew up in the 1990s (or 80s, or 70s, or something) knows exactly what I'm talking about. Old School Nickelodeon, with Rocko's Modern Life, Rugrats, Ren And Stimpy, Are You Afraid Of The Dark, and a whole lot more....poof! Gone!

YES! One of my obsessions is that whole era of kids' programming. I have my favorites on DVD thanks to ebay: Are You Afraid of the Dark, Hey Dude!, Salute Your Shorts, You Can't Do That On Television, Doug, et al. Man, I love Doug!

Shut up! I'm having a rhetorical conversation.

I understand we understand each other.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 11:54 pm

Yeah a great deal of it is horible, something I am quite happy about is that a chanel here in Australia plays episodes of Pinky and the Brain, which gets laughs out of me I even checked out some Johny Bravo a little while back and I laughed. A great deal of the anoying things are the ones that follow a bit of Spngebob's lead or copy good shows like good shows like Invader Zim and try to play the creepy dumb style.

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2010, 1:27 am

I proclaim this as a tribute to modern kids television:

*BARF*

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 1:38 am

amen to that!

Anyone remember PINWHEEL?

Now THAT was television.

Nickelodeon Silver Ball was television.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

AtomicKaiju
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 2:30 am

Personally, I think that ALL televised cartoons of this generation (with the exception of some newer animes such as Kanon, Beck Mongolian Chop Squad, and others) have gone downhill. If it's not a generic kids cartoon, it's an animated sitcom with overused jokes and cliched moronic characters.

I love the 90s as much as the next viewer, but I think that most cartoons (if not all of them) that get canceled should stay canceled. I've seen revivals of shows I used to think were funny (Family Guy, Celebrity Deathmatch), and they became stale, unfunny, and just no longer worth my time. I don't want the same to happen to cartoons that I still love.

However, I still enjoy Spongebob despite the dropping quality, I don't think iCarly is as bad as everyone makes it out to be, and I hope that Futurama will change my mind about revived cartoons.

AppleCat
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2010, 7:18 am

I enjoy watching some of the newer children's programmes, but only the ones in which there are no annoyingly idiotic characters. There are quite a number of characters I feel I could smack.

BTW, has anybody else seen the new CITV? The guy whose voice introduces the programmes is so annoying, I feel like yelling at him,
"For f**k's sake, SHUT UP!"

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 8:48 am

I love the nice peaceful waterfall on all the channels of the tube TV.

The other tube TV has a nice quiet blue screen so I don't miss out on all the
beauty of Microsoft Windows because of using Linux.

I have a thing that plugs into the radio and the TV and makes cool
designs that go with the music. I think it is like what some MP3 players
do on the screen but with a much bigger screen.

Those are my 3 favorite TV shows, and they never have advertisements.

This is a joke. If you don't get it, I haven't bothered getting an HDTV,
since I never turn on the TV anyway. Either way, there are still hundreds
of channels but nothing on. Nothing but brain-fat and bad news.

Someone once said a long long time ago, after they got their first TV,
"I prefer the radio shows because the pictures are better".

Beatlegal
Raven
Raven

10 Feb 2010, 10:02 am

My god...
I miss all of the old cartoons! If I was in charge of all of those stations, here's what I'll do:

Disney Channel:
-Get rid of the teeny-bopper crap and bring back old Disney (I used to stay up at 12:30 at night to watch the 1950's Mickey Mouse Club)
-Bring back the Disney cartoons we know and love (I now have this sudden urge to watch that episode of House of Mouse where Jiminy Cricket becomes Mickey's conscience :D )
-No Disney XD and bring back Toon Disney (Am I the only one who thinks Disney XD is completely sexist?)
-No showing movies that aren't made by Disney (HP, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc)
-Put more old Disney stuff in the Treasures dvds (Ludwig Von Drake, I'm no Fool, etc)
-Put Adventures in Wonderland on dvd (I loved that show)

Cartoon Network:
-Get rid of live-action in general
-Bring back the old cartoons, including Bugs Bunny, Powerpuff Girls, everything!
-If you're going to show movies, only animated films. No live-action! (It's called Cartoon Network for a reason, you morons! :evil: )
-Three words: Bring back Toonami. (I miss Sailor Moon and Naruto)

Nickelodeon:
-See #1 on Disney
-get rid of crap like Fanboy and Chum Chum. Honestly does anybody watch that cartoon? The characters are so ugly and the writing sucks! A four year old can write better than this! I mean how dare they make fun of Emperor Palpatine?! (in the show, he's called Janitor Poopatine)
-Bring back the old shows we all know and love. I love Spongebob, but they play it waayy too much. I still remember the theme song to Salute your shorts. I miss Rocko and Ren and Simpy and all of the really good shows.
-Cancel Yo-Gabba-Gabba. I thought I was high of something. I saw one episode of it (which had Jack Black in it) and I thought it was the weirdest kid show I've ever seen.

There's more ranting, but I can't think of anymore at the moment.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 11:01 am

I can't say there was ever a "golden age" of kid's programming on TV, but the political and sociological agendas behind entertainment is disgusting.

For better or worse, I grew up with Tarzan, Superfriends, Jason of Star Command, etc. Kid's programming ran from 6 am to 2 pm. Now it's something like 2-3 hours of the same generic crap year after year.