Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

lithium73
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2010, 5:41 am

I know this topic has come up before (search) but was wondering if anyone had any updated experiences. I have very average eyes thanks to some twisted genes. I am both short and long sighted with astigmatism in both eyes and posterior vitreous detachment. I have done some googling of Irlen lenses but was after some personal opinions. Has anyone used them and did they make a difference. The problems I am hoping it would help with are night blindness and blurry text. I have zero depth perception at night.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 7:41 am

At the suggestion of my local Autism Resource Centre (ARC) I took my son to a multi-sensory optician and he got green tinted lenses. I'm assuming these are Irlen lenses, but I have to say that I disliked the optician as he didn't properly answer my questions about the lenses - I think he was being protective of his role as "expert". :roll:

My dislike of the optician aside, the lenses seem to have helped with my son's depth perception.

The lady at ARC said that two older AS women got the coloured lenses. One found that they helped tremendously with depth perception and the other was able to see people's faces clearly for the first time, and was able to recognise people when wearing her new glasses. Previously, this lady had only been able to focus on one facial feature at a time, but with the coloured lenses she could easily see the whole face.

I also have a friend who has a form of dyslexia and she has green lenses which help her. She had great difficulty reading in certain light conditions and found the text blurry and mobile.

Hope this is helpful for you, and that others will be able to share their own experiences.

lithium73
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2010, 8:12 am

Thanks for the reply, i forgot to mention my abysmal facial recognition problems. I memorise what people are wearing because that i the only way i can pick them out in a crowded place.
I am more worried that the lenses dont seem to be well supported by the opticians around the place. I guess i am sort of worried it might be quackery, but if people have success with them there may be something to it. I wish the cost was a lot less though.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 4:28 pm

here are my irlen coloured lens glasses :wink:
http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/ ... ccf839.jpg
:lol: (sorry)

forestg
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2010, 5:17 pm

I was diagosed with Irlen syndrome, had the glasses, lost the glasses, world caved in, now back to the way I was.

Personaly, its too much, the testing for a start, different filters paired up seemed never ending, a suitcase of different lenses, the tester got very frustrated/angry with me :roll: it works for a lot of people, aparently, it didnt do anything for my bizzare behaviour, was it meant to?

Good luck mate, hope it works for you, I have loads if info on it, theres Irlen UK and Rainbow readers based in scotland, but as Helen Irlen was from Australia, and Meyers somebody was from somewhere else