Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2010, 1:25 pm

Of all time - Iron Maiden. Current: Thyrfing

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 6:00 pm

Recently I can't stop listening to old 70's and 80's Judas priest albums.

Albums like Killing Machine, Sin after sin and Stained Glass are fantastic. The song structures change quite radically from that era of their career to your early 80's British Steel sound which is the era most people are familair with.

I guess Iron Maiden is the same though their old albums prior to Bruce coming to the band are also fantastic.

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 6:55 pm

Descartes30 wrote:
Mine has been Metallica ever since the mid 80's. Yeah, I'm pretty old :) There are some other groups that are really good, but "Master of Puppets" and "Ride the Lightning" I consider to be basically perfect albums.

Hell yeah! Sadly, nobody has matched Cliff's style since. I've been looking for something, anything in that style since the 90s, but nothing compares to mid 80s Metallica.

To be fair, their musicianship has never been great. On the studio albums Kirk plays cleanly but with absolutely no feeling (which is important for the f*****g lead), and live they're all pretty mediocre. Also, regarding lightning and puppets, do they really need to accent everything with a cymbal? But that aside, the composition is beyond brilliant and the feel is perfect. Or maybe I'm just heavily biased by nostalgia.