Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 11:25 am

Sand wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Sand wrote:
Once you create something more intelligent than yourself you've got a wild cannon on your hands. You cannot control it.

Hopefully the creators will have the common sense to build in safety mechanisms in places the AI can not access, in order to prevent it from disabling said safeties. I would be wary of giving an AI access to networks.

There is no guarantee a super intelligent AI can be out thought. Whatever safeguards are set can probably be defeated. "Blade Runner" indicated a limited life might work but I doubt it.

All these "paradigms" are human constructs. Unfortunately when you have a quantum machine that can compute operations faster than the speed of light, those paradigms are going to be broken faster than the speed of light.

Essentially robots would be just like slaves with superpowers and we all know nothing bad ever happens when you supress a race... :roll:

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 11:40 am

Whatever happens, it will be interesting.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 11:46 am

PLA wrote:
Whatever happens, it will be interesting.

There are some things too interesting to fool with. Unfortunately, as evidenced by the mayhem in the internet, some hacker is bound to screw the world.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 1:50 pm

Mm, it might be annoying if the infrastructure were to break down. I'd like to remain in communication and/or vicinity of my non-local friends, too.
Apart from that, it could be entertaining until I'm incapacitated.

Edit:

Quote:
and/or vicinity of

Urgh, I fail at syllepsis, and I can't get up. :)

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 6:04 pm

Sand wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Sand wrote:
Once you create something more intelligent than yourself you've got a wild cannon on your hands. You cannot control it.

Hopefully the creators will have the common sense to build in safety mechanisms in places the AI can not access, in order to prevent it from disabling said safeties. I would be wary of giving an AI access to networks.

There is no guarantee a super intelligent AI can be out thought. Whatever safeguards are set can probably be defeated. "Blade Runner" indicated a limited life might work but I doubt it.

Therein lies the problem. However, I am not sure I would oppose our new silicon overlords- they can't be any worse than our current leaders.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 6:06 pm

Orwell wrote:
Therein lies the problem. However, I am not sure I would oppose our new silicon overlords- they can't be any worse than our current leaders.

Perhaps, but still there must be a better way.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 7:06 pm

Sand wrote:

Don't hold your breath.

ruveyn