Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 6:19 pm

Us aspies seem to be extremes in everything, we're either detached from our emotions or we feel them with extreme intensity.
I'm one of those who feels intense emotions, I cry too easily and can sometimes have weeks where I've cried 6 of the 7 days in the week, other people's emotions make me really uneasy and I'm moved by anything. But often I don't even know what my emotions are which can get frustrating.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 7:02 pm

I cry at the drop of a hat aswell!! !! !! Although it's not related to this topic I'm also rude alot without knowing it LOL! I said something this evening and mom was like that's rude. I didn't know what I said sounded rude. :-)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 5:09 am

Einschmidt wrote:
I know the stereotype is that guys with AS don't have emotion but I think I am too far in the other direction (especially with regards to anger). Anyone else here like that?

hi guy:+) a useful analogy here, would be to compare full-on diabetes with hypoglycemia- the former sufferers having no intrinsic blood sugar regulation while the latter having highly variable blood sugar levels. [i'm not saying diabetes is anything like autism in any other way] same for autism and asperger's syndrome/HFA- the latter can have emotions but tend to brittle/shaky control of them- Stendahl's Syndrome is not unknown among aspies. i suffer from it myself.

you may ask, "what is Stendahl's?" it is the inability to regard or ponder something of great beauty [art, among many other things] without having a psychosomatic reaction [flushing, shortness of breath, copious tears/weeping]. think of it as the brain overloading on emotion, and going "TILT!" "oh, the beauty of it all!"
when i saw the film "AI- artificial intelligence"- i became a big puddle on the floor, OH GOD that was SO emotional! any aspie who would say i can't be "a
real aspie" because of this, is a hypocrite and a disgrace to other aspies.

in terms of negative emotions, i am not what the average person might consider as "evolved," so when some poorly-wiped @$$hole insults me or tries to disenfranchise me, the first thought in my mind is bloody murder in the first degree- this is usually followed by "get me away from this lousy excuse for a subhuman animal!" i don't suffer thoughtless mean people gladly.
p.s. - a person is NOT mean if he reacts negatively to somebody being mean to him/her- s/he is simply "unevolved." i wear the label proudly.
cheers:+)

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 10:22 pm

I wear my emotions on my sleeve and have a very short temper. I cry, laugh, and get angry very easily. I am easily overwhelmed by my emotions, especially being upset and sad.

I also have Cyclothymia (mild Bipolar)