Is work experience compulsory at your school/college?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 3:51 pm

I'm in year 12 at the moment and in July everyone in my year has to go to a work shadowing placement or something equivalent. It's to do with improving your chances of getting into a better university I think. I haven't set anything up for myself yet (I'll start looking next week) and I was wondering if anyone else has to go on work experience?

Knowing my luck I'll get something rubbish anyway. :lol:

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 8:49 pm

We're required to do 40 volunteer hours (did mine in grade 9 before everything went awry) and we can do a co-op placement if we want.

kraken
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Feb 2010, 7:24 am

Err...it probably depends on where you are. Your syntactical idiosyncrasies suggest that you may not be from the United States, so what I say may not be entirely relevant to you. We don't typically have any such requirement. In fact, the majority of my first year students at college have no work history at all.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 3:57 pm

kraken wrote:
Err...it probably depends on where you are. Your syntactical idiosyncrasies suggest that you may not be from the United States, so what I say may not be entirely relevant to you. We don't typically have any such requirement. In fact, the majority of my first year students at college have no work history at all.

What are syntactical idiosyncrasies? Do you mean figures of speech? :P
Anyway you're right I'm not from the US. I'm from the UK. Over here we have two weeks work experience in year 10 (I was in a book store. Nice staff but the work they gave me was sooooo dull and when I was putting books on a shelf one day some of them fell on my head :lol: ) and in year 12 I found out that it's compulsory at my school to do a work shadowing placement for two weeks.

kraken
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Feb 2010, 5:08 am

"Knowing my luck I'll get something rubbish anyway. "

Rubbish is rarely used in the United States as an adjective. It isn't particularly common language here anyway, and when it is used, it's typically in the noun form.

Ex. "What is all of this rubbish?"

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 8:11 am

It used to be, but it isn't anymore. They introuduced a new scheme of some kind which removed the requirement for work experience.