10 Feb 2010, 11:29 am

Don't forget Godwin...;)

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 11:39 am

pakled wrote:
Don't forget Godwin...;)

Hitler and the German nation under Nazism is an outstanding example of human stupidity and brutality and mentioning it in the proper context is a very significant and worthwhile point. Because some guy named Godwin chose to inhibit this mention is no reason to cower in fear to indicate the possible depths of human behavior.

SDFarsight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2010, 12:09 pm

Sand wrote:
pakled wrote:
Don't forget Godwin...;)

Hitler and the German nation under Nazism is an outstanding example of human stupidity and brutality and mentioning it in the proper context is a very significant and worthwhile point. Because some guy named Godwin chose to inhibit this mention is no reason to cower in fear to indicate the possible depths of human behavior.

Do you know what the Godwin law is?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 12:25 pm

SDFarsight wrote:
Sand wrote:
pakled wrote:
Don't forget Godwin...;)

Godwin's law states that as a discussion is extended the probability of mentioning Hitler becomes a certainty. It may seem a neutral comment but its action is to inhibit the mention of Hitler and on that basis I made my remark.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 1:50 pm

SDFarsight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2010, 8:50 pm

Sand wrote:
SDFarsight wrote:
Sand wrote:
pakled wrote:
Don't forget Godwin...;)

Godwin's law states that as a discussion is extended the probability of mentioning Hitler becomes a certainty. It may seem a neutral comment but its action is to inhibit the mention of Hitler and on that basis I made my remark.

Well its function is to define the first person who mentions Hitler/Nazism as having lost the debate, unless the subject of the debate is about Hitler/Nazim/WW2.

Last edited by SDFarsight on 10 Feb 2010, 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 8:50 pm

encore, encore

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 9:08 pm

Perhaps an addition should be made to Godwin's law. Anyone mentioning Godwin's law is at a loss to retort properly to a prime example of human brutality and stupidity and has thereby lost the debate.

SDFarsight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2010, 9:14 pm

The Godwin law axists to point out cheap debate tactics, like ad hominems. 'The Nazis used X, thus X is evil.'

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 9:48 pm

SDFarsight wrote:
The Godwin law axists to point out cheap debate tactics, like ad hominems. 'The Nazis used X, thus X is evil.'

SAID LIKE HITLER HIMSELF!

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:12 pm

SDFarsight wrote:

There is nothing "cheap" about mentioning a supreme excursion into human brutality. There are enough other examples around but Hitler's persuasion of an entire nation to depart from basic human decency is a worthwhile example of how humanity can act. I would say that mentioning Godwin's law is rather cheap in comparison. It verges on the territory of Holocaust deniers.

SDFarsight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2010, 10:25 pm

Sand wrote:
SDFarsight wrote:

There is nothing "cheap" about mentioning a supreme excursion into human brutality. There are enough other examples around but Hitler's persuasion of an entire nation to depart from basic human decency is a worthwhile example of how humanity can act. I would say that mentioning Godwin's law is rather cheap in comparison. It verges on the territory of Holocaust deniers.

Indeed, but it is cheap to associate something with the Nazis for the sake of discrediting it when the thing in question doesn't really have anything to do with Nazism, merely that the Nazis used it. To take a simplistic example, saying that chairs and tables are evil because the Nazis used them.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:49 pm

SDFarsight wrote:
Sand wrote:
SDFarsight wrote:

Indeed, but it is cheap to associate something with the Nazis for the sake of discrediting it when the thing in question doesn't really have anything to do with Nazism, merely that the Nazis used it. To take a simplistic example, saying that chairs and tables are evil because the Nazis used them.

Anybody who resorted to that type of idiotic reference cannot be taken seriously. And that applies to your reference as well. But the use of Godwin's law is frequently taken in legitimate concern about human conduct and your evident dismay that Nazism should be used as a legitimate reference to human depravity strikes me as somewhat either naive or unconcerned that this departure from basic decency is a worthwhile point of interest. That dismays me.

Unorthodox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Feb 2010, 1:47 am

I think that Godwin's point wasn't so much that Hitler or Nazi comparisons are invalid or irrelevant, but rather that they are stale, cliched and overused, and his "law" humorously illustrates the point. I wouldn't say that someone who makes a Nazi comparison is automatically wrong per se, but I'd definitely think they were unoriginal at best.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 1:57 am

Unorthodox wrote:
I think that Godwin's point wasn't so much that Hitler or Nazi comparisons are invalid or irrelevant, but rather that they are stale, cliched and overused, and his "law" humorously illustrates the point. I wouldn't say that someone who makes a Nazi comparison is automatically wrong per se, but I'd definitely think they were unoriginal at best.

Perhaps it isn't such a fallacy, but rather just an outdated usage. Though the statement of "if Hitler tried it, it might be a bad idea" still has some humor value, it is rather old.

More properly, and generally, such a thing could be stated as,

(1) This dictator has little or no regard for human life.
(2) If this person performed an action based on their valuation of human life, then it might be a bad idea to try it.
(3) this person performed euthanasia of those he considered to be unfit.
(4) it might be a bad idea to try euthanasia.

Not just due to association, but due to their regard for human life. I'm probably stating this poorly though, as I am quite tired.

Unorthodox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Feb 2010, 2:19 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Perhaps it isn't such a fallacy, but rather just an outdated usage. Though the statement of "if Hitler tried it, it might be a bad idea" still has some humor value, it is rather old.

That's what I was getting at, Nazi comparisons aren't "wrong", they're just a bit dated and overused. What I find funny is to use these Reductio ad Hitlerum arguments to agitate against such things as vegetarianism, anti-smoking policies, and dogs, Hitler having been fond of all of them they must then be evil... :roll: