Page 12 of 13 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,587
Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Mar 2014, 6:32 pm

HDLMatchette wrote:
i disagree with ASdogGeek on the DSM 5. LFA, or as i call "kanner's" is much different from aspergers. most aspies are proud of their aspie label and to call it something else is to take it away from them. people need to stop seeing the difference between aspergers and kanners as a racist term. white and black people are both different but that doesn't mean one is better than the other. plus, kanners people require treatments that are different from those with aspergers. yes we're still us but the DSM doesn't make us feel like it. not that's it's bad being kanners but it's not what aspies are. Speaks is against the changes too but only because they wanna continue their fear rhetoric. it's a power grab. what we aspies need to be is against the DSM 5 because aspergers is who we are, it's not bad to be kanners but it's not who WE are.


Kanner's patients fit much more closely with the category of "high functioning." The inclusion of "low functioning" autistic diagnoses was something that happened years later, and my understanding is that many people objected to this necessary inclusion.

So you're already misusing the label "Kanner's autism."

Anyway, one of the reasons for the change in the DSM-5 is the fact that which label you were diagnosed with depended more on where you were diagnosed and sometimes what your needs were perceived to be more than a strict adherence to the criteria for autism disorder, PDD-NOS, or Asperger's Syndrome.



vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,001
Location: The Hoosac tunnel

12 Mar 2014, 12:09 am

Cornflake wrote:
More like impossible.
he did have an idiot savant personality type.but yes;you cant diagnos someone you have never met.alive or dead


_________________
Interesting and off beat news stories


HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2012
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 342
Location: Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina

12 Mar 2014, 2:56 am

but there are so many people who have aspergers and love being called "aspergers" and nothing else, and the DSM 5 took that right away.



Cornflake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,969
Location: Over there

12 Mar 2014, 6:07 am

vermontsavant wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
More like impossible.
he did have an idiot savant personality type.but yes;you cant diagnos someone you have never met.alive or dead
Yep, exactly. It was originally presented as an opinion based on unverifiable comments from unspecified individuals (many of whom are also dead) about the perceived behaviour of various dead people, not a diagnosis, and appears to date from 2008. The article below mischaracterises this as a "post mortem diagnosis" (an oxymoron, surely) and there were probably others, consequently it's become "fact" since then. :roll:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... utism.html
It's a shame this was tucked away right at the end, presumably as "balance":
Telegraph article wrote:
Amanda Batten, of the National Autistic Society said: "It is important to avoid stereotypes of people with autism as geniuses or otherwise, as everyone has individual character traits, strengths and needs.

"These might include attention to detail and the ability to pursue something for long periods of time, however apparent ability in some areas may lead people to underestimate the challenges individuals face in other parts of their lives."


_________________
Giraffe: a ruminant with a view.


Cornflake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,969
Location: Over there

12 Mar 2014, 6:11 am

HDLMatchette wrote:
but there are so many people who have aspergers and love being called "aspergers" and nothing else, and the DSM 5 took that right away.
People can call themselves whatever they want. Nothing was "taken away". There is no conspiracy.


_________________
Giraffe: a ruminant with a view.


HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2012
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 342
Location: Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina

12 Mar 2014, 8:23 am

those that are lower functioning may need some more assistance in talking and stuff, but you know what? that's not a bad thing. i mean, think about it, when a lower functioning child can go from speaking 10 words to 40, isn't that a good thing? that's because he/she got help doing it. sometimes, we spectrumites don't like to think we need help because that makes us feel bad when we look around and see that many other people don't get that kind of help. but remember, when they were toddlers, they needed help talking too, and that took a while as well. but they could talk in the end, and that's because they got help. what people in general, not just those on the spectrum, need to realize is that help is not a bad thing, and we should stop being jealous or envied at other people's abilities.



HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2012
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 342
Location: Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina

12 Mar 2014, 8:28 am

we shouldn't given that kind of help help by someone who thinks they're trying to "cure" us, because it doesn't. it just helps us along the way. i would never take that kind of help from Speaks because i know they're using those programs on how to talk thinking that they'll "cure" our autism. we should be very careful who we out our trust in.



HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2012
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 342
Location: Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina

12 Mar 2014, 8:30 am

so basically, when it comes to autistics learning how to take care of themselves, they and their caretakers, NT or on the spectrum, should ask themselves "we all need someone to lean on, but who?"



androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,497

12 Mar 2014, 2:20 pm

Neurotypicals want to help us by putting us into special education retard schools.



vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,001
Location: The Hoosac tunnel

12 Mar 2014, 8:04 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Neurotypicals want to help us by putting us into special education retard schools.
exactly what they did with me.


_________________
Interesting and off beat news stories


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,197
Location: Long Island, New York

13 Mar 2014, 12:07 am

Cornflake wrote:
HDLMatchette wrote:
but there are so many people who have aspergers and love being called "aspergers" and nothing else, and the DSM 5 took that right away.
People can call themselves whatever they want. Nothing was "taken away". There is no conspiracy.

People can call themselves what they want but but what I have noticed based on lot of posts here and elsewhere is that since the DSM 5 manual came out a lot of people either don't want to call themselves Aspies anymore or instead of an identity like it was it is just used as a descriptor. My guess is because of black and white type thinking people here put a lot of importance on what an "official" organization like the DSM 5 says. Also if something is repeated often enough people will believe it. Especially if it's respected authorities like psychologist and The New York Times saying it. That is what I think a lot of the Aspie wanabee perception is about.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Jul 2013
Age: 64
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,118
Location: pueblo colorado

14 Mar 2014, 1:38 pm

HDLMatchette wrote:
so basically, when it comes to autistics learning how to take care of themselves, they and their caretakers, NT or on the spectrum, should ask themselves "we all need someone to lean on, but who?"


We need to lean on each other. That is WHY we are putting together an autistic community within an already existing community. That is WHY we are urging that inexpensive mini retreats be organized in every area. That is WHY we are working on one on one mentoring. That is WHY we are studying about self employment and business patrnerships. That is WHY Star Ford is putting together a retreat center in NM that will be run exclusively by Autistics[ they need volunteers to build it], and WHY she is working hard to open more technological jobs for Autistics. That is why when, after nearly 20 years, Autreat ceased to exist, others formed a group to replace it with something even better [check out kenG posts. He gets ignored even more often than me, despite the fact that every post he makes is a message of leaning on each other.] That is WHY Agent Palpatine keeps bumping up-I mean asking for more information- threads pertaining to what we, as Autistic people can do to assist each other. That is WHY so many on WP are lifting others from despair,protecting our more vulnerable and/or young from emotional predators. That is why Kingdom of Rats, among others, teaches us so much of what'sin her very soul.

We are Autistics. Most of us are a lot tougher than we know. We are ALL capable of learning how to lean on others and allow other autistics to lean on us. Interdependence. That is what we need.



Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,587
Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

14 Mar 2014, 10:39 pm

HDLMatchette wrote:
those that are lower functioning may need some more assistance in talking and stuff, but you know what? that's not a bad thing. i mean, think about it, when a lower functioning child can go from speaking 10 words to 40, isn't that a good thing? that's because he/she got help doing it. sometimes, we spectrumites don't like to think we need help because that makes us feel bad when we look around and see that many other people don't get that kind of help. but remember, when they were toddlers, they needed help talking too, and that took a while as well. but they could talk in the end, and that's because they got help. what people in general, not just those on the spectrum, need to realize is that help is not a bad thing, and we should stop being jealous or envied at other people's abilities.


Speaking 10 to 40 words... or say helping them to use PECS, typing, text to voice, sign language, etc, that might work better for them. Why is the importance on making anyone function like NTs? Why not find what works best and help them do that?

I am not sure what the rest of what you're saying is in reference to.



NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 341
Location: Southern Saratoga County, NY

16 Mar 2014, 11:50 am

Plain and simple, click here and find out why boycotting Autism Speaks matters (to us, anyway)


_________________
Shoot for the Moon; even if you miss, you will land amongst the stars.


lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2010
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,542
Location: Lost on Earth, waddya think?

17 Mar 2014, 2:55 pm

Most adult aspies just want to be who we are and don't want a "cure", but many parents with autistic or aspergic kids want their kids to stop having meltdowns, be able to socialize, and just generally be "normal". Autism Speaks is brainwashing the parents into believing that their children need a "cure" no matter how dangerous it could be, and it doesn't want children to be vaccinated despite no true evidence that vaccines cause autism. They want parents to believe their kids will become serial killers from their lack of empathy although most autistic and aspie people become victims instead of victimizers. The want to keep success stories about real people, famous people who are geniuses, inventors, artists, actors and musicians, away from the public and sensationalize the negativity.

Back in medieval times people with epilepsy were burned at the stake, and they thought Jewish people were evil witches and warlocks because they actually bathed. It wasn't that long ago homosexuality was believed to be a mental illness and that all gay men were pedophiles. Children who were left-handed were called stupid and eternally dammed and forced to use their right hand with their left one tied behind their backs. Nothing has changed. Nothing. :x



cron