Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kevin_I
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2010, 7:28 pm

The reason why I went for a diagnosis is because I wanted to learn why I am the way I am. To me, it was an issue of personal identity.

I have discussed AS with both the psychiatrist and the neurologist, and they both are aware of it and try to deal with it. However, the psychiatrist believes it's all about behavior, and he says I don't have enough of the behavior to warrant a diagnosis. The neurologist says it's an issue of a person's neurological wiring, and behavior is only a symptom of that. He went further and he told me he believes there are more people in the world that are neurologically wired for AS, but they act normal enough so that most people won't notice. (Though he did say those people can't hide it from him.)

Quote:
Use your discretion but if you don't feel like you have problems regardless of your quirks, don't try to fix them.

I'm perfectly happy with my quirks. In fact, I can't wait to get home from work so I can spend time alone and stim. It helps me think. In fact, stimming puts me in my own world where I'm the one in charge. I also enjoy my interests. I have no problem with them. Unfortunately, everybody else does.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 8:05 pm

Well this is just IMHO, but you said it's an issue of personal identity, and you've asked other people to decide it for you. And they have, and of course they've done it for their own reasons (one sees it as behavior, the other as neurology -- which do [i]you[i/] think represents it better?). Given a "yea" and a "nea" you could do your own research in books, and IMO, more importantly, in the words of ASD people here and elsewhere (and in books, also), and come to your own conclusion. If official word from an authority figure means a lot, then maybe get a 3rd opinion and go with the best 2 out of 3?

PS Your neurologist sounds like he has a much better understanding of AS. Or, at least, a view that I think makes more sense. The only reason behavior is used to dx it is because no one has figured out yet a neurological test for it yet.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 9:02 pm

You can only understand yourself to so great a degree. There are many things about how your mind and body functions that you'll never get to figure out.