could asperger's be caused by brain surgery?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

pascalflower
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Feb 2010, 7:39 am

BLK95TA wrote:
When i wass 6 months old (born in july 1979) I had brain surgery because i had fluid on the brain. at that time they installed a shunt. Then in 1981/82 when i was 2 or 3 years old i had more surgery where they extended tubes for the shunt. I have a scar on the left side of my head, optical nerve damage to my eyes and nystagmus (even with todays technology i can't get contacts to correct me better than 20/30, glasses would be 20/40 and i have worn one or the other since i was 4) as well as balance issues. I drive but lord help me if a cop ever thought i was drunk. i couldn't pass a FST test to save my life. i don't drink though so i could always just ask for a breath test,

anyway back to the original question

i was talking to my dad earlier about getting an official AS diagnosis and he said something kind of interesting. he said he wondered if the surgeries i had 30 years ago could have caused it.

does anyone here have any brain surgery in their medical history?

Many of the symptoms that you have would fit hydrocephalus. You may still have whatever caused you to originally have the hydrocephalus that required surgery when you were a baby. I think you should thoroughly look at the brain pressure/damage route before looking for any condition or disorder present.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 8:41 am

I've never had brain surgery, and I'm one of the more noticeable members here, so I think it's genetic. I'm also satisfied with the say that I am.

redwulf25_ci
Toucan
Toucan

15 Feb 2010, 10:07 am

No brain surgery here. On the other hand I can't dismiss injury to the brain (which could have been caused by brain surgery) out of hand due to the number of concussions I've had and a past history of seizures.

On the other hand if it were caused by injury to the brain it would probably have been discovered by now due to brain scans of living autistics or dissection of cadavers that used to be autistic.

BLK95TA
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2010, 2:49 pm

pascalflower wrote:
BLK95TA wrote:
When i wass 6 months old (born in july 1979) I had brain surgery because i had fluid on the brain. at that time they installed a shunt. Then in 1981/82 when i was 2 or 3 years old i had more surgery where they extended tubes for the shunt. I have a scar on the left side of my head, optical nerve damage to my eyes and nystagmus (even with todays technology i can't get contacts to correct me better than 20/30, glasses would be 20/40 and i have worn one or the other since i was 4) as well as balance issues. I drive but lord help me if a cop ever thought i was drunk. i couldn't pass a FST test to save my life. i don't drink though so i could always just ask for a breath test,

anyway back to the original question

i was talking to my dad earlier about getting an official AS diagnosis and he said something kind of interesting. he said he wondered if the surgeries i had 30 years ago could have caused it.

does anyone here have any brain surgery in their medical history?

Many of the symptoms that you have would fit hydrocephalus. You may still have whatever caused you to originally have the hydrocephalus that required surgery when you were a baby. I think you should thoroughly look at the brain pressure/damage route before looking for any condition or disorder present.

well the vision and balance and nystagmus are all results of the hydrocephalus. that doesn't mean the condition still exists though. the damage has been done. I still think i have AS based on a bunch of tests i have taken (i am going to get diagnosed i think as soon as i figure out where) because of all of the social issues i've had in my life.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 8:34 pm

I don't know about Asperger's, but nonverbal learning disabilities are common in people with hydrocephalus.