Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2010, 2:01 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWiBt-pqp0E[/youtube]

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 4:43 pm

dammit, I clicked on this prepared to post that vid in response to whatever was posted.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 8:04 am

Sometimes Carlin is on. Sometimes he's not.

The whole Bible/swearing to God practice comes from a time when people (at large) had moral reverence for such things and most would not consider lying after giving an oath before God.

Nowadays, most courts don't use Bibles nor even require you to "so help me God." They just want an affirmation that you will answer truthfully (as to lay the ground for perjury/lying under oath).

He is correct about the Bible being used as a means of mass control. I'm amazed at how much garbage "Christians" adhere to out of dogma which I know is not founded in the Bible, but rather clever twisting of scripture to use guilt and fear to control those who believe.

Why does he think that God did anything. Men made the systems of law, and they came up with what they came up with.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 2:33 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Sometimes Carlin is on. Sometimes he's not.

The whole Bible/swearing to God practice comes from a time when people (at large) had moral reverence for such things and most would not consider lying after giving an oath before God.

Nowadays, most courts don't use Bibles nor even require you to "so help me God." They just want an affirmation that you will answer truthfully (as to lay the ground for perjury/lying under oath).

He is correct about the Bible being used as a means of mass control. I'm amazed at how much garbage "Christians" adhere to out of dogma which I know is not founded in the Bible, but rather clever twisting of scripture to use guilt and fear to control those who believe.

Why does he think that God did anything. Men made the systems of law, and they came up with what they came up with.

If a court asked me to swear on the bible I wouldn't do it, I'd tell them that I'd prefer to swear on dog s*** than the bible and that anything said under a bible oath is probably a lie or a joke.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 1:15 pm

The Angry Arab said on his blog that he request to swear the oath on a cookbook.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 7:08 pm

I would swear on the bible and then ask if I can still lie because I'm not a christian.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 8:45 pm

ov;ntd;dw

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 9:48 pm

Avarice & theoddgoat: yes, yes, you're not Christians, we get it already :roll:

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 10:15 pm

You say 'we' as if you thought of being a christian as some sort of norm?

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 10:20 pm

No, I just don't see any point in them rubbing it in everybody else's faces.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 10:25 pm

Tensu wrote:
No, I just don't see any point in them rubbing it in everybody else's faces.
Are they?

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 11:16 pm

well at the very least Avarice seems to be.

fidelis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 10:01 pm

Thank you Kalikimaka. You made my day. That was the funniest thing I saw all week.

I would swear on a bible, but I would make it obvious that I think of ti as a joke. In all seriousness, swearing on the bible is just another stupid custom some idiot made. It says nothing about your religion.

swansong
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2010, 10:29 pm

Please, no George Carlin.

He used to be a fair comedian decades ago, but in his later years he got comfortable and used his HBO specials to preach to people on how to live their lives, how to parent their children, and what political philosophy to believe in, rather than actual comedy.

He shouldn't be criticizing any political system, unless he can propose a better plan. Moreover, most of his arguments against the system are witty phrases, puns, word plays, and juvenile jokes which hold no merit even though they sound eloquently.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 10:42 pm

swansong wrote:

He used to be a fair comedian decades ago, but in his later years he got comfortable and used his HBO specials to preach to people on how to live their lives, how to parent their children, and what political philosophy to believe in, rather than actual comedy.

He shouldn't be criticizing any political system, unless he can propose a better plan. Moreover, most of his arguments against the system are witty phrases, puns, word plays, and juvenile jokes which hold no merit even though they sound eloquently.

Since a huge amount of humor is based on telling people on how to live their lives, how to parent their children, and what political philosophy to believe in, from Voltaire through Anatole France, Mark Twain, and a huge number of current comedians your objection to such humor neatly places your character.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 4:41 am

swansong wrote:

The guy was a comedian, not a philosopher. I might make jokes about how he's one, but don't judge him as such.
Saying that I struggle to find disagreement with the things he "preaches" about. :)