Page 4 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 12:33 am

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
I've encountered a few autistics IRL, and they look like they will end up living in institutions.

Yeah, and I've encountered a few black people in real life who looked like they might have been gang-affiliated, and thus most if not all black people must be gangsters. :roll: Really, is it THAT hard to see how offensive this sort of statement is?

And maybe we could solve the problem of parents who don't love their autistic children enough to want a different child altogether not by getting rid of autistic people but by, oh, I don't know, not villainizing autism or autistic people anymore. By making services available and affordable to all. By erasing social stigma and making people that normal != good, that weird != bad. By introducing anti-discrimination laws similar to those protecting other minority groups. By having more positive portrayals in the media. All of these would achieve a similar result without eradicating an entire population of people who are the victims of society's intolerance, not the perpetrators.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 1:27 am

Denmark is the most Asperger-focused country in Scandinavia, I'm pretty sure they have some of the most info there to, so I think it's safe to trust the almost 100-page book.

As for me, I see no point in becoming social, it's a waste of time, I see no need in owning a car either, I may want to move out someday, but not right now.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 5:12 am

The situation,

1 in 10,000 is going to need lifetime care, and will be totally out of the world.

1 in 1,000 will be like Lelia's daughter, can live with a support worker, can go out, must be watched.

1 in 100 will rate an ASD Dx, but most can go to school, work, even drive, and often do well in a tech field. Many will just live on disability and never do what they could.

Sub clinical,

1 in 10 are Broader Autism Phenotype.

The costs,

The first group numbers 30,000, they will live in an institution for life. Life being sixty years, that is 1,800,000 years of total care. At $100 a day, low, they cost $3,000,000 a day.

The second group is 300,000, they need supported living, they cost $30,000,000 a day.

The third group, 3,000,000, maybe $30 a day, which is still about a $90,000,000 a day.

Rounding up, $120,000,000 a day for the lot. Autism is expensive.

Into this problem Autism Speaks has donated $10,000,000 in their best year to research.

8% of one day's cost.

Therapy does work, the lives of all, and mostly group three, can be improved greatly, for another $100 a day. About $300,000,000 to give each one day of service, three days a week only costs a Billion, and for $52,000,000,000 a year, they would go on to lead richer lives.

As some will anyway, and some will not, spending the money seems a waste.

Searching for a cure has looked everywhere, with no results. Even saying it is genetic, is saying we know nothing. Genetic research is good, in the last year we have gone from Autism seems connected to thirteen sites on the DNA, to now being able to say, twenty-two sites, and different in girls.

It is not like Downes, Retts, a single testable site.

Term for those who wish to cure us, Hopeless Dreamers.

I have not seen any post on WP saying, "I wish I was more Autistic."

How do I cope with this, is common. A wish to improve in some ways.

A desire for more of a social life is common. People work hard to overcome their problems.

We all seek a partial cure.

I do not look to the DSM for answers, they have no treatment.

I look outward, the Geeks and Nerds of Broader Autism Phenotype, and I can pass for a Nerd.

While their traits are not Clinical Grade, they are the same, the problems are the same, and I see that as our self help group. I have long known I was a Nerd, only recently discovering the Autism connection.

Asperger's Type Subjects were not disabled, they went to school, and went on to lead normal lives. His, "A touch of autism is needed in the arts and sciences," from an MD, means any more geeky and they would be a problem, but from here outward, Engineers, Scientists, Musicians, all share these traits.

I do not agree with Neurodiversity, I have met those people and avoid them.

Hyper-Nerdism, maybe.

It is the group closest to us, and we do have something of value to bring. We do seem more passable with age, yet it has its problems of social isolation.

I see little hope for genetics or drugs, but keep the study going. Some treatments are showing promise, like talking to people, being around people, we are slow learners, so more helps.

Being a hermit reduces stress, but being a hermit ruins your social life. A loss of skills.

No one can fund what is needed, no one fresh out of school is going to relate, we are on our own.

I cannot blame people for wishing things were different, I do.

sErgEantaEgis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Feb 2010, 12:23 pm

Omerik wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
We already have a fantastic word for people who think only their kind has the right to exist: Nazi.

This is not for all NTs, only those who think they're better than us and want to "cure" or abort us

Please differentiate, not everyone who wants a "cure" is a Nazi. If people think we need a cure, we need to peacefully explain why we don't.

Not all people pro-cure are Nazis, they're mostly ignorant I guess. We shouldn't put them in the same group as the Devil Speaks (in autism's name).

Well I think they are Nazis because they are behaving like Nazis.They are eugenists racists who want to wipe us out of the face of the Earth.Unfortunately,the peoples like Autism Speak(It should be called Anti-Autism racist speech BTW) hide their eugenistics and genoicdal ideas behind good intentions.These people want to castrate us and/or abort our children or just simply kill us.They think we are mentally ret*d people who just deserve to finish their klives in asylum and die.They don't want us to have civic rights because we aren't true humans...

THAT'S nazism.Whatever you call it,it's still [] eugenistic racism and genocide...

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 4:06 pm

There is another aspect to this:

NTs have tremendous problems with their NT kids , of exactly the intensity they describe with in- spectrum kids, and indeed NT kids with their NT parents, for a different set of reasons.

These are not usually treated as pathology. Nor is a "cure" looked for.

People in white coats who like wearing shiny things on their heads when they talk to you, and have no reason to wear white coats and have shiny things on their heads when they do, you really scare me.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 4:13 pm

ERG , are you really sure they are that into the beliefs of a one testicalled , mid-twentieth century sociopath? Might be a bit of an extreme analysis you have going on there. Might not. But it's worth asking the question.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 10:22 am

Profiteers - Moneylusters - Moneylovers - either under the form of for profit or non-profit organizations, businesses, companies, educational or medical offices. Bottomline - a lot of these cure or abort people are only interested in money.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 12:23 pm

How about just 'people with different opinions'?

dalcassian wrote:
NTzi?

Gotta laugh at that one though :lol:

Quote:
she wants to ask for paper by sitting on the bed next to me, grunting, and then getting up. Fine, let the wookie win.

that too. That's a really cute description :lol:

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 8:03 pm

[quote="Asp-Z"][quote="bdhkhsfgk"][quote="gemstone123"][quote="bdhkhsfgk"][quote="Asp-Z"][quote="bdhkhsfgk"]You seem to be completely unaware of the fact that many parents of severely autistic children gets their lives destroyed, I can feel their pain.[/quote]

You seem to be completely unable to actually give me any evidence of that.[/quote]

I talked to some parents of autistic children IRL, and I asked them if they had to choose between a child with autism and an NT child, they would choose an NT child, because it's a burden to have a child with autism.

I'm an aspie, and I would definitely choose an NT child instead of a child with autism without a second thought, just ask your parents and friends if they would want to.[/quote]

That's too general a thing to say. Of course some parents would not want their autistic children to have difficulties (particularly if their children have severe autism) but at the same time a lot of people would not change their autistic children for NT children. However it depends on the parents and children as obviously some autistic children are extremely difficult to care for. Besides a lot of NT children are nightmares. :twisted:[/quote]

You can't compare NT children to children with autism, NT children have a future, children with autism don't, they end up in institutions.[/quote]

OK, that's utter crap. I present to you Bram Cohen - he has Asperger's. He invented BitTorrent, the biggest P2P network in the world. It makes up for about 40% of all internet traffic. He also started BitTorrent Inc. and has become a millionaire as a result.

Then, of course, there's the speculation of Bill Gates, Einstein, etc.[/quote]
Let's not forget Temple Grandin!

BigJohnnyCool
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2010, 1:48 am

*sigh*

Personally, I believe Autism is comparable to Asthma. Whatever people say about finding a cure or some other bull-crap about that. You can't cure it... All you can do is control it and nothing else...

These stupid researchers, doctors, and scientists need to stop this bickering about how autism is a disease that must be cured for the sake of the children "because 1 in ??? have it," and do the right thing and teach the aspies the proper ways about how to look at life. It's not like acting like nazis and exterminating aspies as unborn babies is going to make them look more humane than they're getting now. Also, it's not like aspie put up with more unnecessary bullcrap already being the laughing stock on earth both socially and internet-socially...

"Autism is not a tragedy, ignorance is the tradegy"

I couldn't agree more...

tenzinsmom
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jul 2010, 2:20 pm

MrMark wrote:

I think the best way to oppose the neurologically biased is to promote neurodiversity.

Agreed.

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 2:24 pm

If people had a life like mine, you'd understand why I wouldn't fight to live it.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 11:45 am

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
Do you think the following children have a future?; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDMMwG7RrFQ&feature=fvst

Yes. And I have already told you that this video is not a reliable source of information as it was set up and fixed, plus Autism Speaks are very much in the business of producing propaganda that shows only one (very negative) side of autism.

These children will end up in institutions, they will never be able to live on their own.

Shut. The. f**k. Up.

MolochTheBlackFlame
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jul 2010, 6:35 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
Do you think the following children have a future?; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDMMwG7RrFQ&feature=fvst

Yes. And I have already told you that this video is not a reliable source of information as it was set up and fixed, plus Autism Speaks are very much in the business of producing propaganda that shows only one (very negative) side of autism.

These children will end up in institutions, they will never be able to live on their own.

I presume you meant those children SPECIFICALLY, right? If so...

The woman in the pink shirt is Katie Wright, the founder's daughter (THAT is the most offensive thing about the video). That child will never go to an institution.

Based on your comments I am concerned about you. Unfortunately, I do not know what bridge you live under to protect you from the Billy Goats Gruff. There is absolutely no way I can convince you of anything that does not involve people going to institutions so these are all the keystrokes I will waste on you. Good bye.

LenieClarke
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jul 2010, 8:15 am

Hi to "aziraphale" & friends - - Some of those ones you refer to describe themselves as: Compassionate Conservatives.