Where can I find a program to make my own games?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SkittlesMcBingBing
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Feb 2010, 4:32 pm

I highly reccomend you try Flash before you buy it. It's not even close to cheap. I only have a copy because I got a major educational discount on it back at school.

Here, have a link to the free trial so you can experiment for 30 days. (Note it's $699 dollars to register after a month, holy cripes batman.)

I believe I am cousin.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 2:58 pm

EnglishInvader wrote:
Many people overlook the skill involved in designing games in high level programming languages i.e. languages that take a computer much longer to process than machine code and reduce the amount of RAM space available to the user.

I was specifically thinking of MS Visual BASIC. I got to use it in college once, and was surprised at how dead simple it is to use.

Obviously it's not the most professional choice, but it's a bit of a step up from Power Point :wink:

black_legion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2010, 10:06 am

although i cannot remember the name, there is a program you can buy that is endorsed my microsoft that can create some pretty good stuff, some of the content made in that program has made it's way into XBLA (xbox live Arcade) games, it also seems pretty simple to use aswell.

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 12:40 pm

Nope. You don't need a game-making program (although I am slowly learning MMF2). You can make your own Sonic ROM! In other words...

REAL PEOPLE USE SPLIT DISASSEMBLIES!

Think about it. With a split disassembly, all you do is nab a Sonic ROM, name it "S1.Bin", hit "split.bat", get some ROM hacking utilities, modify some stuff, build, and test! See for yourself what you can come up with.

hostilebanana
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2010, 2:52 am

I have not actually used this, but I have a friend who loves building 2d games (this does both 2d and 3d games).

Microsoft XNA Game Studio:

Link: http://creators.xna.com/en-GB/
Help files: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb200104.aspx

I think that he was saying that the games will also work on the XBOX (I have only seen them fun on a PC).

Imapanda
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Apr 2010, 6:12 pm

If you really want to start learning how to make 'quality' level games, then you should learn C, C++, Java or one of the other several coding languages out there.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 11:54 pm

There are college courses for learning programming languages and other aspects of video game design, but that comes with a price tag of about $500 per credit hour and about 2 to 4 credit hours per class, so there is the choice of learning the programming languages from a book for $20 to $100 depending on where you buy it, or going through college and paying $1000 to $2000 per class and having to take three to four classes simultaneously.