Can Boys and girls with Autism be boyfriend and girlfriend?

Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

moonnymph
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Aug 2010, 1:42 pm

Definitely yes, I know a few couples. I know my match is out there too! :)

em_06
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Sep 2010, 4:09 pm

I think it can be possible! My boyfriend and I both have Asperger's Syndrome and have been dating for over a year now. One thing to think about is that Aspergers and Autism affect people differently and think about how a relationship would work with each others differences. My boyfriend and I both have a somewhat sensitivity to loud noises, but that hasn't seemed to affect our relationship. My past two relationships including my current one have been with other guys who have Asperger's Syndrome. I don't know what it's like to be in a relationship with an NT, but I feel comfortable being with another Aspie.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 5:36 am

It's definitely possible! My ex had something similar (non-verbal learning disability) and we continue to be romantic partners and close friends. Like me, he would tend to become obsessive and "stuck" on certian things, but this was a trait of his that I was willing to let go and not take offense to. I guess it all depends on personal compatibility and willingness to negotiate (which could be tricky for some aspies as they are used to their ways of being): as well as seeing the person involved as a whole person rather than as primarily a person with a disability.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 6:22 am

It more depends on the connection of spiritual energy or "spark".

There have been guys who have what I consider to be aspie traits who I adore to bits, and other aspie guys I find repulsive.
It's all about the connection.

I would rather have a guy with social skills because then I can learn and improve. If you're with someone for long enough, you start to become like them.

His impressive social skills would make up for my lack of them. I have other things to offer, I'm a fun girl, i make people laugh but I can also be awkward. I relate best to fun outgoing laid back men because then I can be myself: loud, silly but inappropriate. I don't see any benefit whatsoever from being with someone with worse social skills than yourself, when you aren't the best to begin with.

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 6:41 am

Yes they can. One of my friends is engaged to another aspie. :)

tomhead
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Sep 2010, 6:45 am

I've noticed that I find it VERY easy to bond with other spectrumites, to the point where if somebody mentioned being a spectrumite in a bio I would probably see myself as much more likely to be compatible with her.

Cheers,

TH

IndispensablePG
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Sep 2010, 10:36 am

I just think if two parties get along well, the question doesn't need to be asked.