Social character compared to your real character

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

18 Feb 2010, 11:29 am

mattc wrote:
I did make an effort to be friendly, nice and laid back. Which I think means that I've found a way to be socially acceptable, I just spend most of the time smiling and listening to what she said.
:D :D :D

^this sounds like my method as well, "laid back and goes with the flow".

I also connect with what maleb said:

A mask - yes
Phony - to a degree, but not in an adverse way
Makes my life easier - no
Makes my life more successful - yes

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

whatamarshmallow
Raven
Raven

18 Feb 2010, 8:33 pm

bonuspoints wrote:
mattc wrote:
I did make an effort to be friendly, nice and laid back. Which I think means that I've found a way to be socially acceptable, I just spend most of the time smiling and listening to what she said.
:D :D :D

^this sounds like my method as well, "laid back and goes with the flow".

I also connect with what maleb said:

A mask - yes
Phony - to a degree, but not in an adverse way
Makes my life easier - no
Makes my life more successful - yes

I like your description of phony, because that's exactly right. It's more of a 'mysterious' mask. Like keeping a secret, or playing a role if you will. And it doesn't make our lives easier, just more successful. Because surely if I acted as my natural self at all times, I would not have the respect of others, nor would I have my job!

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 10:42 pm

My character is the same, but my "presentation/demeanor" is "put on".

I think of it more like stage makeup than a mask. Some stage make up is intended to change the appearance of the actor, but often the point of stage makeup is just to make things that are already there more visible (otherwise you cannot see the actor's features and expressions due to stage lights and distance). The public "make up" I "put on" simply makes things perceivable to others, where they would not otherwise be visible. So for instance, when I am in a social situatino and I feel no animosity or upset, I deliberately smile, otherwise even though I feel quite content, this will be invisible to people who then assume that I am discontent.

Hello
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Feb 2010, 11:13 pm

I try my best to cover up the fact that I am completely lost most of the time, but I'm not sure how well I do that...people seem to look at me like a freak sometimes when I do something goofy that I can't help.

Omerik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Feb 2010, 11:24 pm

It's pretty easy when I'm drunk, I just play their game. If I meet fanatic fascists I say I support their notions, and then point out some questions. I'm not sure if I do it for fun or to change something. Anyhow they sometimes get confused.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 11:39 pm

Well I am not like Friskeygirl my avatar in second life, she has a social life and some very real friends, I am a fairly she introverted girl with a funny biblical name Lilith :?
My online persona is maybe who I am on the inside when I post here in the forum, its the real me.

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2010, 11:44 pm

Around people I don't know and want nothing to do with, I am quiet. And when I am talked to I don't try at all to continue the conversation.

Around friends, I am freakin loud.

Arminius
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2010, 9:05 pm

I hardly know how to take the mask off anymore. To varying extents I adopt the manner of speaking of the people I encounter. The "real me" uses fairly formal language at home and with one close friend, calls my tuba by name instead of "it," and has no interest in small talk. I am slightly different for almost everyone, but I do not think of it as deception. The mask I wear is a manifestation of the reality with which neurotypicals can cope. It allows me to be who I need to be.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 11:43 pm

I do small talk with NTs off the Internet. I ask them what their interests are and talk about those, as well. I also talk about the news, a lot. That's my social character.

My real character is the one that shows up, here on WP, with everything that I post in these threads, day in and day out.