Working at *generic department store* past Christmas season.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 5:53 pm

For customers who were making returns, I hit upon this method: first good opportunity, I ask the customer, "Would you like me to throw away your bag for you?"

That saves the customer the potential embarrassment of standing there not knowing what to do with the bag. And it saves me the potential embarrassment of the occasional customer who might thrust the bag toward my face as I look down at the register.

So, this level of thought I put into it (not unlike an athlete or a public speaker striving to take it to the next level, the next level . . )

And none of this is appreciated. That I call for help too often (because I don’t want to fake it and bluff a customer), that’s what is mainly looked at.

Now, I have been a manager, depending on how you look at it, on six different occasions for four different organizations. At times at *generic department,* I thought I might also be criticized for “acting like a manager.” And that’s a problem? (it is for a passive manager whose main unstated rules are get here on time, and don’t cause me problems). So, I’m used to playing the game at a high level, with energy, and it’s hard to downshift.

I want to work in a business where this level of effort and engagement is rewarded. I have thought about starting my own business, but be advised, the failure rate of new businesses is 80%, the biggest reason being undercapitalization (with the result that you typically end up losing what money you are able to invest in it).

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 8:12 pm

Sounds like something I would do at work. It's definitely the kind of thing I've done working various tasks with Boy Scouts. Going to work will certainly be an interesting venture.

But they do not have me

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 12:52 pm

I took it too seriously. I didn't keep a light touch.