Anyone here study or are thinking about studying law?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Do you study law?
Yup! 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
No way! 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
I was thinking about studying it. 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
The thought of studying law makes me feel ill. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 1:55 pm

I was just wondering as because it's a very people-based qualification. I mean whether you become a solicitor or barrister you normally have to end up dealing with people on a daily basis. Although of course there are people who study law without wanting to become a lawyer....

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 11:33 pm

Several people have suggested to me that I should study law (I like to argue and have high verbal intelligence), but the idea doesn't really interest me. There are paths you can take as a lawyer that do not require more people skills than other professions do.

swansong
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2010, 1:09 am

I thought about going to law school, but upon researching it further, there are things that all people should know before even considering it.

1) It's a tough process to become a lawyer. Law school I hear is very difficult and even getting in is hard. There's a pre law school standardized test and the BAR exam, as well as a character test which checks your criminal record.

2) It's a rough start. Going to college and law school is going to cost a lot of money. It's a tough job market when you first become a lawyer and starting lawyers don't make much money at all. Don't expect to be a millionaire any time soon.

3) Stress. Working at least 60 hours a week, bringing your work home with you on vacation, never seeing your family, being under constant pressure.

4) You're not going to be an Atticus Finch. You won't even see an inside of a court room until you become an experienced lawyer. While many politicians and other socially prestigious people are lawyers, entering law doesn't guarentee social connections.

LoveMoney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Feb 2010, 5:32 am

When I finish secondary school, I start Law school.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 7:53 am

Having been to law school....

The study of law isn't about people.

The PRACTICE of law is about people.

Some people have brilliant legal minds and wind up regulated to research and trial preparation in larger firms because that is their strength.

Those who want to practice law in a small firm or on their own need to know how to handle people.

Other than realizing I didn't want to practice law, the devastation was how I wasn't set up to ever find a job.

1. Doing something at a large firm means having great grades (which I didn't) and/or knowing someone who could get you in on the first job.

2. Going into law with a group of like-minded people only works if there are such people.

3. Going solo practice is highly inadvisable for a new lawyer. It's hard as heck for an established lawyer.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 10:22 pm

I was thinking about law school. My reading comprehension is excellent, and I'm quite logical. But law school is extremely expensive, and there are too many lawyers for too few positions. It's not worth it, IMO.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 7:11 pm

I recently discovered that I had an interest in constitutional law, but I'm not sure if I'm cut out to be a lawyer. I have also considered the paralegal field, in which I work alongside a lawyer. It also tends to involve less people skills.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 10:14 am

lotuspuppy wrote:
I was thinking about law school. My reading comprehension is excellent, and I'm quite logical. But law school is extremely expensive, and there are too many lawyers for too few positions. It's not worth it, IMO.

That and the reason why law has such a high turnover rate is because the long hours and hard work causes a lot of people to burn out and just walk away from the profession.