Page 5 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Have you ever felt Alien? (Autistic people)
No 14%  14%  [ 16 ]
Yes 27%  27%  [ 31 ]
Sometimes 30%  30%  [ 34 ]
Always 28%  28%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 113

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 8:25 pm

I cant find it on line, but there is a Larsen cartoon of a labrador dog boarding a space ship with other dogs on board, waving to his ma and pa human owners saying:

'I knew they would come for me'

if only i could find it on line but no way.........

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 10:22 pm

Humans evolved on Earth; thus, we are not "aliens".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 10:26 pm

Fnord wrote:

We could be from another planet. Unlikely, but it is totally possible. Perhaps we originally were martians, but we destroyed our own planet, and now were here to destroy this one too. :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 11:18 pm

Fnord wrote:

You mean there is no evidence to the contrary?
Given we do not know how life "evolved" to start of with or how humans appeared, I would't hide behind occams razor with such certainty.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 12:14 am

I voted No, I never feel alien. Although I should say a lot of other people feel like aliens to me. :D I can't imagine how they walk through life without doing much thinking at all.

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jul 2011, 1:47 am

I do indeed feel alien, and I kind of enjoy that feeling. Even if it isn't true, the idea that we are aliens, it makes life far more interesting, and it makes what will happen later in our lives all the more fascinating. (HUUUUUUUUGE fan of sci-fi here BTW)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 1:53 am

I'm sure even NTs think they are aliens sometimes. Nobody can truly know other people, and nobody feels constantly connected to others. In fact, if you define yourself so completely in terms of others that you lose your own identity, then they call that borderline personality disorder, and it's no fun at all to have that.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 3:59 pm

Borderline personality disorder
Personality disorder - borderline

Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people have long-term patterns of unstable or turbulent emotions, such as feelings about themselves and others.

These inner experiences often cause them to take impulsive actions and have chaotic relationships.
Causes, incidence, and risk factors

The causes of borderline personality disorder (BPD) are unknown. Genetic, family, and social factors are thought to play roles.

Risk factors for BPD include:

Abandonment in childhood or adolescence

Disrupted family life

Poor communication in the family

Sexual abuse

This personality disorder tends to occur more often in women and among hospitalized psychiatric patients.
Symptoms

People with BPD are often uncertain about their identity. As a result, their interests and values may change rapidly.

People with BPD also tend to see things in terms of extremes, such as either all good or all bad. Their views of other people may change quickly. A person who is looked up to one day may be looked down on the next day. These suddenly shifting feelings often lead to intense and unstable relationships.

Other symptoms of BPD include:

Fear of being abandoned

Feelings of emptiness and boredom

Frequent displays of inappropriate anger

Impulsiveness with money, substance abuse, sexual relationships, binge eating, or shoplifting

Intolerance of being alone

Repeated crises and acts of self-injury, such as wrist cutting or overdosing

Signs and tests

Like other personality disorders, BPD is diagnosed based on a psychological evaluation and the history and severity of the symptoms.
Treatment

Many types of individual talk therapy, such as dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), can successfully treat BPD. In addition, group therapy can help change self-destructive behaviors.

In some cases, medications can help level mood swings and treat depression or other disorders that may occur with this condition

FINISH

Does not say anything about entertaining the thought that aliens may have some part to play in all this :arrow: hence 'wrong planet'