Page 3 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Have you ever felt Alien? (Autistic people)
No 14%  14%  [ 16 ]
Yes 27%  27%  [ 31 ]
Sometimes 30%  30%  [ 34 ]
Always 28%  28%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 113

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,063

19 Feb 2010, 5:08 pm

Interestingly, when I was last here,this was under the thread titled 'Alien Abductions cause Aspergers'...

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
Magneto wrote:
Autumnsteps wrote:
I think you could be right, at least to some degree. When I was younger I used to wonder if I was part faerie or something or I certainly didn't seem human. If you think of life like radio waves I feel like I am a different frequency too everyone else so we don't mix and I can only connect with other people in my range - other aspies. I'm not sure if that even makes sense now it's written down :?

The Faerie are humans, just a subspecies. The rule is: if they can breed together and produce fertile offspring, they're the same species.


Dream on, as I said before, we're born from human vagina's.

Eh? Did you even read what I'd written? Just because your mother is human, it doesn't preclude her being european. Wolves and Dogs can still interbreed, so just because a puppies born from a dog, is doesn't mean the father isn't a wolf.


_________________
...and the state must be destroyed.

http://needsmoremarshmallows.blogspot.co.uk/


sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Age: 66
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,313
Location: The Castle of Shock and Awe-tism

19 Feb 2010, 5:36 pm

Alien deduction topic

When I was a kid I thought I had been an implant in my mother before I decended from her birth canal (vagina). I thought my origins were Martian. :P This was the time before the moon landing, DNA and even Star trek. Kids were more innocent then.

Remember, ol' JC thought his father was God. :lol:


_________________
Radiant Aspergian
Awe-Tistic Whirlwind

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo


Wogar
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 14 Nov 2009
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 103
Location: Canada

19 Feb 2010, 6:00 pm

I always feel like I'm making observations or compiling data. And not just for myself.



pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Jun 2009
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,819
Location: Georgia

19 Feb 2010, 6:25 pm

Yet another reason this is laughably improbable, in addition to the reasons I listed in my post on the first page. This is from an article on NewScientist (linked to here):

Quote:
Star Trek fans, prepare to be disappointed. Kirk, Spock and the rest of the crew would die within a second of the USS Enterprise approaching the speed of light.

The problem lies with Einstein's special theory of relativity. It transforms the thin wisp of hydrogen gas that permeates interstellar space into an intense radiation beam that would kill humans within seconds and destroy the spacecraft's electronic instruments.

Interstellar space is an empty place. For every cubic centimetre, there are fewer than two hydrogen atoms, on average, compared with 30 billion billion atoms of air here on Earth. But according to William Edelstein of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland, that sparse interstellar gas should worry the crew of a spaceship travelling close to the speed of light even more than Romulans decloaking off the starboard bow.

Special relativity describes how space and time are distorted for observers travelling at different speeds. For the crew of a spacecraft ramping up to light speed, interstellar space would appear highly compressed, thereby increasing the number of hydrogen atoms hitting the craft.
Death ray

Worse is that the atoms' kinetic energy also increases. For a crew to make the 50,000-light-year journey to the centre of the Milky Way within 10 years, they would have to travel at 99.999998 per cent the speed of light. At these speeds, hydrogen atoms would seem to reach a staggering 7 teraelectron volts – the same energy that protons will eventually reach in the Large Hadron Collider when it runs at full throttle. "For the crew, it would be like standing in front of the LHC beam," says Edelstein.

The spacecraft's hull would provide little protection. Edelstein calculates that a 10-centimetre-thick layer of aluminium would absorb less than 1 per cent of the energy. Because hydrogen atoms have a proton for a nucleus, this leaves the crew exposed to dangerous ionising radiation that breaks chemical bonds and damages DNA. "Hydrogen atoms are unavoidable space mines," says Edelstein.

The fatal dose of radiation for a human is 6 sieverts. Edelstein's calculations show that the crew would receive a radiation dose of more than 10,000 sieverts within a second. Intense radiation would also weaken the structure of the spacecraft and damage its electronic instruments.

Edelstein speculates this might be one reason why extraterrestrial civilisations haven't paid us a visit. Even if ET has mastered building a rocket that can travel at the speed of light, he may be lying dead inside a weakened craft whose navigation systems have short-circuited.


_________________
I'm never gonna dance again, Aspie feet have got no rhythm.


Wogar
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 14 Nov 2009
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 103
Location: Canada

19 Feb 2010, 6:28 pm

pat2rome wrote:
Yet another reason this is laughably improbable, in addition to the reasons I listed in my post on the first page. This is from an article on NewScientist (linked to here):

Quote:
Star Trek fans, prepare to be disappointed. Kirk, Spock and the rest of the crew would die within a second of the USS Enterprise approaching the speed of light.

The problem lies with Einstein's special theory of relativity. It transforms the thin wisp of hydrogen gas that permeates interstellar space into an intense radiation beam that would kill humans within seconds and destroy the spacecraft's electronic instruments.

Interstellar space is an empty place. For every cubic centimetre, there are fewer than two hydrogen atoms, on average, compared with 30 billion billion atoms of air here on Earth. But according to William Edelstein of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland, that sparse interstellar gas should worry the crew of a spaceship travelling close to the speed of light even more than Romulans decloaking off the starboard bow.

Special relativity describes how space and time are distorted for observers travelling at different speeds. For the crew of a spacecraft ramping up to light speed, interstellar space would appear highly compressed, thereby increasing the number of hydrogen atoms hitting the craft.
Death ray

Worse is that the atoms' kinetic energy also increases. For a crew to make the 50,000-light-year journey to the centre of the Milky Way within 10 years, they would have to travel at 99.999998 per cent the speed of light. At these speeds, hydrogen atoms would seem to reach a staggering 7 teraelectron volts – the same energy that protons will eventually reach in the Large Hadron Collider when it runs at full throttle. "For the crew, it would be like standing in front of the LHC beam," says Edelstein.

The spacecraft's hull would provide little protection. Edelstein calculates that a 10-centimetre-thick layer of aluminium would absorb less than 1 per cent of the energy. Because hydrogen atoms have a proton for a nucleus, this leaves the crew exposed to dangerous ionising radiation that breaks chemical bonds and damages DNA. "Hydrogen atoms are unavoidable space mines," says Edelstein.

The fatal dose of radiation for a human is 6 sieverts. Edelstein's calculations show that the crew would receive a radiation dose of more than 10,000 sieverts within a second. Intense radiation would also weaken the structure of the spacecraft and damage its electronic instruments.

Edelstein speculates this might be one reason why extraterrestrial civilisations haven't paid us a visit. Even if ET has mastered building a rocket that can travel at the speed of light, he may be lying dead inside a weakened craft whose navigation systems have short-circuited.


You realise of course, that this excludes only "organic" aliens.


_________________
Standing on the Fifth Dimension.


pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Jun 2009
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,819
Location: Georgia

19 Feb 2010, 6:43 pm

Wogar wrote:
You realise of course, that this excludes only "organic" aliens.


"The fatal dose of radiation for a human is 6 sieverts. Edelstein's calculations show that the crew would receive a radiation dose of more than 10,000 sieverts within a second. Intense radiation would also weaken the structure of the spacecraft and damage its electronic instruments."

I assume the other category of aliens would be robotic ones, in which case the radiation still blasts them.

Also, if they weren't "organic" aliens, how would they be able to breed with humans (which is what the OP is suggesting)?

What I posted on the first page is applicable no matter what kind of aliens you think they might have been.


_________________
I'm never gonna dance again, Aspie feet have got no rhythm.


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 102,225
Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden where Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow

19 Feb 2010, 6:47 pm

I notice that my eyes look like alien eyes, sometimes.


_________________
Mick

Kanye West 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645


PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 May 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,492
Location: Kalahari Desert

19 Feb 2010, 9:23 pm

Magneto wrote:
Quote:
I am really from a planet of meerkats. Meerkats aren't really from earth, they are just smart enough to trick you silly humans into thinking they are. I was one of the meerkat scientists given human form so I could blend in and study the humans. Not a very bright bunch if you ask me. 2012 is when we meerkats are going to let everyone in our our plans.

My anscestors crossed a vast gulf between the stars, to get to this planet, and what do they get? Confused with cheap car insurance. For courageus meerkats, see comparethemeerkats.com. For cheap car insurance, visit comparethemarket.com.


Oh that was one of our schemes as well. We made Compare the Meerkat to distract people from our real plans.


_________________
I'm not weird, you're just too normal.


EquiisSavant
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Age: 64
Gender: Female
Posts: 51

19 Feb 2010, 11:41 pm

pat2rome, nice prose. For a moment I got lost in it the way I do when I read a good Harvard or Yale-y law grad's writing. However incredible, I feel compelled to point out just one small flaw in your line of thinking: Item #2 - why do you project your own ToM on a potentially (hypothetically) "alien species" ? Do you think, arguendo, they would have a "normal" g-Intelligence, perfect EQi, and pass a WAIS-R with flying colors ?

But, what if the "alien species" we are hypothetically portraying, in fact, existed and had a different type of intelligence that made them lightening speeds faster than human evolution in gaining scientific knowhow ?

You can't ground your entire argument on the idea "normal" human intelligence is anything at all like "aliens," Autistics, or Autistic savants - I'm just sayin'

Because it is pretty clear to the savvy, while your prose is amazing, your argument has a big hole at the bottom thru which all credibility has sunk. But thx for the good laugh. You should be a Hollywood Sci-Fi writer.

On the other note, I don't really go around thinking (the terminology employed by this thread) that 'Im an alien' because I'm an Autistic savant. That's not it at all.

It's more like, for me, going around in Russia when you can only speak Arabic. Being an Autistic savant is more like a foreign language barrier than anything else.

~Equiis



JadedMantis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 1 Apr 2009
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 146
Location: South Africa

20 Feb 2010, 2:05 am

pat2rome wrote:
Yet another reason this is laughably improbable, in addition to the reasons I listed in my post on the first page. This is from an article on NewScientist (linked to here):

Quote:
Star Trek fans, prepare to be disappointed. Kirk, Spock and the rest of the crew would die within a second of the USS Enterprise approaching the speed of light.


Actually, this does not pose a problem in the Star Trek universe as this is not ignored and is, in fact the obstabcle that needs to be overcome to reach these speeds. In Star Trek specific action needs to be taken to counteract these factors to protect against it or they ARE all dead. Remember that history are full of barriers that were overcome. Speed of sound, 4 minute mile, heavier than air flight, breaking free of the orbit of the earth. Just because we are ignorant of how something could be achieved does not mean that there is no way



AspieBrain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 25
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana

03 Apr 2011, 12:14 am

I've always had this idea! There are several ways this could work, in spite of the complaints of nonbelievers. Firstly, the universe is so incredibly vast that we're given no reason to say that it isn't infinite. If it is infinite, that would mean that the possibility of any given event occurring would be infinity/x. As such, the probability of any conceivable event would be infinity. Secondly, someone made a comment about the improbability of extraterrestrials being able to interbreed with humans. However, since we're dealing with a supposedly highly-advanced alien race, I believe it to be entirely possible that they possess the technology necessary to create partial-clones of humans with some of their genotypes.

However, my most recent theory would be that this is a sort of evolutionary split. For example, someone stated that chimpanzees have 98.5% of human DNA. Even though this is true, humans are hyper-evolved compared to chimpanzees. In the same way, I think we Aspies are on an evolutionary break. For an example, I constantly find myself thinking existentially, but in different ways, and not in the usual depressed style. My style of thinking is that nothing is certain except for our own consciousness. This seems to confuse most NTs. They either are not able to understand this concept, or they simply cannot. Either way, I do and they don't, so I think I must be on a different level. :idea:


_________________
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein


draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,304
Location: SE Pennsylvania

03 Apr 2011, 12:16 am

..then I demand to be deported. I wanna go home...



ZeroGravitas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 499
Location: 40,075 kilometers from where I am

03 Apr 2011, 12:38 am

The answer is obvious: Some normal Golgafrinchans were on Ship B when it crashed. We are their children, while NT's are descended from the middle managers, hairdressers, telephone sanitizers, and the like.

Either that, or we all evolved together in the Lake Victoria region 200,000 years ago. But that's just crazy talk.


_________________
This sentance contains three erors.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt156929.html - How to annoy me


Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Mar 2011
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,558
Location: gondwana

03 Apr 2011, 12:42 am

The 3 things that firstly sprang to my mind on reading this thread were

1. GM Foods. 2 plant species who naturally couldn't cross pollinate getting mixed together to make "superior" versions.

2. Dolly the sheep.

3. Jurassic Park

I am sure a highly evolved alien race, if one existed that wished to do so could mix our dna about and if they also were composed of dna, could mix and match to get a nice little outcome. Maybe their testing is what causes some major abnormalities. Like some fetuses being born without brains ect.


Also humans could always be one giant experiment that aliens chose to conduct by adding intelligence to primates. :lol:


_________________
I love diggin' in the dirt
With just a pick and brush
Finding fossils is my aim
So I'm never in a rush


quietbird
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 121
Location: The American Southwest

03 Apr 2011, 1:20 pm

I'm not sure the word alien is really correct, but I've always felt completely out of place, and always felt like I was seeing more than others were. A sort of 4th person perspective.

Sort of related, when I was a kid I was convinced I was either a robot, the only conscious person in the world, and/or immortal.



patiz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jan 2011
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 205
Location: Newport, Wales, UK

03 Apr 2011, 6:28 pm

in the words of the great wise one, (Captain kirk) "spock off" we are human, just another kind of human.