18 Feb 2010, 11:05 pm

Who's your favorite painter?

Mine is Pierre-Auguste Renoir.

http://www.hikiculture.prophpbb.com

Descartes30
Toucan
Toucan

18 Feb 2010, 11:38 pm

It may seem like the boring or obvious choice, but mine is Leonardo De Vinci. Ever since I went to the Louvre in Paris I just can't help but be amazed by his painting. I really loved all the other great masters there, in the greatest art museum in the world, but his stuck with me the most.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 12:21 am

I couldn't tell you who my favorite painter is, but I do like the European paintings made from the Renaissance through the 18th century.

@Descartes30: Hey, you and I both have the same username! :lol:

Tintinnabulation
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2010, 12:34 am

Renoir was a really great painter. He's my favorite of the impressionists and post-impressionists, although Cezanne is up there as well. Jean Renoir, the artist's son, wrote his biography (Renoir, My Father). I read a third of it and it was good; I had to put it down because I was trying to read four other books simultaneously, but I'll honestly get back to it.

I'd have to say that my favorite artist is Michelangelo, which is funny because when I was a kid I always disregarded him in deference to Leonardo. From everything that I've read it seems that he had a tremendous brain and sense of humor. He is generally considered the greatest sculptor that has ever lived (surely such pieces as the Medici Chapel in Florence will never be bested), yet he also created one of the two most famous painted works of all time. He wrote poetry, worked as an architect for the building of the Vatican, and helped design and plan the defences of Florence against the Medici.

In short, he was probably just as much a polymath as Leonardo, and he was able to reach the apogee of sapience in at least two of his chosen fields. It doesn't hurt that he had an intense personality and a complex life, either.

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 1:01 am

Goya
my favorite painter and printer

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 1:28 am

I like quite a few, but my favorite is Oskar Kokoschka.

Tintinnabulation
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2010, 1:52 am

When I was a student I was a fan of Kokoschka for his name, but I found seeing his work in person to be something of a disappointment.

Descartes30
Toucan
Toucan

19 Feb 2010, 6:36 am

Tintinnabulation wrote:
I'd have to say that my favorite artist is Michelangelo, which is funny because when I was a kid I always disregarded him in deference to Leonardo. From everything that I've read it seems that he had a tremendous brain and sense of humor. He is generally considered the greatest sculptor that has ever lived (surely such pieces as the Medici Chapel in Florence will never be bested), yet he also created one of the two most famous painted works of all time. He wrote poetry, worked as an architect for the building of the Vatican, and helped design and plan the defences of Florence against the Medici.

Having seen Da Vinci's paintings in person and Michelangelo's paintings and sculptures in person, I have to say that Da Vinci is my favorite painter, but Michelangelo is my favorite sculptor. 8)

@Descartes: Yes, I figured that it would be a popular name, so I just used my email address when the username question arrived. :)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 1:33 pm

Piet Mondrian was the best IMO, because I like his combinations of colors and simple lines.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CollegeGeek
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2010, 3:05 pm

I admire Jackson Pollock. I consider his abstract paintings absolutely fascinating and I appreciate how varied his works are. I enclose two of his paintings that I like most:

No. 5, year 1948

Guardians of the Secret, year 1943

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 12:43 am

Strangely enough, I don't have one. For some reason I like Mucha, Escher, and Soviet Realist posters...;)

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 1:20 am

Vasily Kandinksy. I've heard his art is hard to understand. I don't understand it. I just think it's beautiful.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 2:30 am

There are very few painters with the grotesque power of Francis Bacon.

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

21 Feb 2010, 2:46 am

Graham Turner.

SquishypuffDave
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2010, 2:59 am

Sand wrote:
There are very few painters with the grotesque power of Francis Bacon.

That was going to be mine, he's probably one of the biggest influences in my art. I'm also a fan of veristic surrealism, as well as exploring the 'uncanny valley' effect.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 11:41 am

Kandinsky's very good . Its like a language of its own .

What about Paul Klee ?

Not sure if I have a favorite.