Page 2 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Atropine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2010, 12:53 pm

Pollock is cool. But my favorite will always be Basquiat.

Da vinci always deserves respect. I hate the mona lisa, but the fact he can write backwards like me makes me respect him.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 3:17 pm

I have never really like the Mona Lisa . I was always more fascinated with the hill in the background.

I went to see the Mona Lisa . It's a lot smaller than I imagined it. It was totally swamped out with tourists and I couldn't get near it. There is glass in front of it and you couldn't really see clearly it anyway. ( Would be a good thread "do you like the ML ?")

ML is not "typical" . Perhaps he intended it as that. Have you seen the ferret woman? That is another odd image. Perhaps he had in mind the idea of Furries as well.

Writing backwards must be good.

Atropine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2010, 7:30 pm

It is cool. I can write neater backwards then I can forward.

Paul klee has some awesome-radical points to him also. Giacometti has good work too.

Wooo. I went to art school. Don't remember much about anything except abstract and weird...

Excellent.

/endsarcasm

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 8:55 pm

Shadwell wrote:
Goya
my favorite painter and printer

Mine too. If I had money and time and a passport I'd return to Spain if just to see the Black Paintings again.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

dtoxic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2010, 4:19 am

Dali.

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2010, 11:33 am

Monet, Pissarro, Manet

WoundedDog
Raven
Raven

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 8:47 am

I quite like Caspar David Friedrich and Dante Gabriel Rossetti.

The year is still young.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 2:22 pm

My most favorite is Monet. I love impressionism. There's so much color! I especially love his paintings of landscapes, especially when there's water. My favorite is water lilies.

My second favorite is Gottfried Mind, also known as Cat Raphael. Did you know that when he was painting he usually had a cat on his back or shoulders, and he would stay in that position for a long time, even if it was uncomfortable so he wouldn't disturb the kitties? Another cat would supervise his work(just as Sissy supervises :lol: )He would actually be talking to them while he worked, but apparently didn't really talk to humans. Hmm, kind of like me. I have many tones of voice and many topics to discuss with Sissy or Paco, and even my fish, yet I'm in front of another person, I have no clue what to say.

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 8:39 pm

My favs are Paul Klee, Max Ernst , Piet Mondrian, Mark Rothko and Jackson Pollock.

I got a chance to see a traveling Klee exhibit in Houston at the Menil a couple years ago, and they had my favorite piece, The Twittering Machine. Klee's work always inspires me. It's just astoundingly beautiful to me.

I adore Max Ernst. He had extraordinary technique and extraordinary imagination. The Menil has a number of his works, as Mrs. Menil had been a long time firend of Ernst. They had my favorite work by him, Surrealism and Painting. Online pics of this painting does not do it justice at all. You have to see it in person to be just awed by the varied, delicate and sophisticated techniques he used in this one painting, and keeping in mind he was completely self-taught and this was made decades before artists had things like airbrushes and easy-use acrylics that are commonly used today to create similar effects Ernst did.

Mondrian appeals to my Aspie sense of abstraction and order. His more abstract works have a very inspiring affect on me.

And I find Rothko uniquely inspiring. When I lived in Houston I would go to the Rothko Chapel frequently. His work is very existential and demands you drop all presumptions and expectations of art that you have to simply experience his art as it is. I liked to sit there and sketch the interior of the chapel with the painting on the wall, and iI even wrote a short story inspired by the chapel, that I never tried to get published, but maybe one day I will.

Then Pollock, if only for his courage and individuality in his art. I love making action painting myself--it is a fascinating way to play with color and just move past all the inhibition we put on ourselves that impede our creativity.

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 1:48 am

Jack Vettriano

His paintings all remind me of reading P.G. Wodehouse stories.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2010, 2:32 am

Andrew Wyeth is undoubtedly my favorite artist.

[img][650:725]http://www.museumsyndicate.com/images/2/15562.jpg[/img]

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 3:56 am

I lilke Wyeth too. His paintings have a bleak beauty.

My favourite painter is Heironymus Bosch.

pixxie69
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2010, 6:31 pm

Monet, Signac, Sisley, van Gogh, Robert Delauney, some of the florentine school's painters,

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 7:09 pm

Franz Kline

I came around a corner in a museum and was struck by one of his huge calligraphic paintings. I think it's the only time I have been that affected by a painting.

In general I like Picasso a lot and Lucien Freud. There are plenty of others but those are the first that come to mind.

YasminTiara
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Mar 2010, 1:51 pm

Amrita Shergil