Do you get annoyed when people continually correct you?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 3:19 pm

Kaysea wrote:
Re: OP - I don't really get this too much. However, I often make long pauses in the middle of a sentence, trying to find the right words. People tend to try to say various words/phrases with the intent of helping me find my own. I find this extremely annoying and obtrusive, as it actually makes my brain lock up so that I CANT gather my words and makes me feel rushed at the same time... a bad combination.

So do I.

Me: "Yeah, that's so..."

Person: "Awesome?"

Me: "... No, bad."

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 4:12 pm

I don't get annoyed when people are trying to correct me, but when I did something wrong and nobody is TELLING ME what I did wrong, it just annoys me because I'm getting myself into a mess and it really does annoy me and plus how would I learn from my mistakes when I don't know the reason what I was in the wrong for?

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2010, 12:31 am

superboyian wrote:
I don't get annoyed when people are trying to correct me, but when I did something wrong and nobody is TELLING ME what I did wrong, it just annoys me because I'm getting myself into a mess and it really does annoy me and plus how would I learn from my mistakes when I don't know the reason what I was in the wrong for?

I KNOW. I hate this.

Epilefftic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2010, 1:21 am

I don't take criticism well, especially if it is for involuntary things.

I get 'corrected' on eating etiquette, because I eat slow and [have to] chew my food 32 times per bite.

I get 'corrected' for my accent (I say 'rough' for 'roof', and 'rum' for 'room').

My over use of hand movements and flapping is 'pointed out'.

Not only do I get annoyed, I am near vengeful, and am sure to 'thank' them.

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2010, 9:07 am

Kaysea wrote:
Re: OP - I don't really get this too much. However, I often make long pauses in the middle of a sentence, trying to find the right words. People tend to try to say various words/phrases with the intent of helping me find my own. I find this extremely annoying and obtrusive, as it actually makes my brain lock up so that I CANT gather my words and makes me feel rushed at the same time... a bad combination.

I feel your pain and frustration. I too need to pause. It enables me to find the right way to say things in order to get my point across clearly and without offending.

Pausing, for me, also helps me stay on topic. Unfortunately, I tend to veer away from the subject when I'm feeling rushed.

When someone, helpfully, fills the pause, I lose my train of thought and struggle to continue so that I end up not making much sense at all.

As for being corrected, it all depends what mood I'm in as to whether I handle it well or not. And I must admit, when the correction is irrelevant and I feel there was no call for it, I can become quite noticeably irritated by it.