Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Greg88
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2010, 2:34 am

Hi everyone, was diagnosed with asperger's the other day. Still kind of adjusting. Its not like Im any different now but finding out why I am the way I am has been a bit of a kick in the teeth. On one hand Im relieved that Im no longer going insane trying to figure out whats "wrong" with me. On the other hand, a big thing that always kept me going was a belief that once I found out I'd somehow be free from it.

Was hoping to get some feedback from other people who weren't too keen on getting diagnosed.

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 3:03 am

I was also recently diagnosed, and like you I felt the relief to finally know what was wrong with me. I think in the couple of months since then there have been ups and downs about it, emotionally. But I'm feeling a lot less of the regret over a childhood that could have been salvaged, but wasnt because nobody had a clue--and a lot more acceptance that this is it, life, this is who I am, and it's not all that bad.

I go on from here with a better understanding of myself and others. That's a life improvement. So things are getting better.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Feb 2010, 6:26 am

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 11:46 am

Hi Greg88, welcome! I was kind of on the other side of that fence - for me it was a relief to have an explanation for why I'd felt such an outcast and an alien all my life, but then, I was old enough to know that giving it a name wasn't going to free me from it - I'd already been that way for so long, I wouldn't have known how to be anything else.

On one hand, it was good to know that it wasn't just personality defects in me as an individual that set me apart from the norm, on the other, there was a melancholy sense of realization that I'm not just an eclectic eccentric by choice - that in some sense I'm...well...broken. Of course, that's not true - different is not inferior, still - that haunts me a bit from time to time. But, as I said, I wouldn't know how to be anything but what I am; I've seen how the 'other half' lives and I wouldn't become one of those drooling idiots if they paid me to. :wink:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 12:02 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Feb 2010, 12:15 pm

At first I was horrified. It's a bit of a shock. But then I got to line my life up with reality, instead of what my family wanted me to be. For example, these days if I get tongue-tied I feel no obligation to chat merrily - the desperation to keep up my end of the conversation is gone. If I'm getting a migraine from flickering lights, I get them fixed. I don't have to be like everybody else any more. And now that all my energy isn't being sapped by "normal" I can be really productive with things I'm good at. It's amazingly wonderful, being true to yourself, once you get over the initial shock.

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 12:11 am

Claradoon wrote:
And now that all my energy isn't being sapped by "normal" I can be really productive with things I'm good at.

I quit "normal" like an unhealthy habit. It is exhausting, and it does drain away a lot of energy that can be better spent doing creative things.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 12:29 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet. :)

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 4:46 am

Hello Greg88, welcome,

For me hearing about my diagnosis came as a surprise; I didn't expect it. So it took me some time to 'get used to' it, but not too long.
Now I feel good about having my diagnosis, because I think it is good to be aware of having it, it can help explaining about myself to others, and it gave me the opportunity to search for contact with other (aspie) people I can relate to, and it made me join our nice WP community :)

Enjoy your stay on the Wrong Planet!

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

WoundedDog
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2010, 11:26 pm

Hi and welcome.

I haven't been diagnosed, but my first reaction to the possibility when it was brought up to me was to go look for a second opinion. I'm still new to the possibility of having AS and the belief of being 'free' from being socially offset kept me going for years as well.