UK Aspies: who will you vote for in the June elections?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 7:14 am

Who will you vote for in the June elections, and why?

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 9:13 am

If I vote (which won't be legally, since I'm 'underage'), I'll vote Libertarian, simply because I'm a libertarian.

I thought they were the April elections? 8)

Meg72
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2010, 9:31 am

I wish I could vote but I can't because I'm only 14. If I could, I would vote Lib Dem because they are the only party of the top 3 that actually have a few good ideas. I am quite liberal and I think that the Tories and Labour have become one and the same, except they keep bickering. I shudder at the thought of Cameron being Prime Minister, but I think that Peter Mandelson is just as bad. I feel really sorry for Gordon Brown because he did not cause the recession, but he is getting constantly attacked for the way he is handling it. He was thrust into the job at completely the wrong time.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 11:24 am

Meg72 wrote:
I wish I could vote but I can't because I'm only 14. If I could, I would vote Lib Dem because they are the only party of the top 3 that actually have a few good ideas. I am quite liberal and I think that the Tories and Labour have become one and the same, except they keep bickering. I shudder at the thought of Cameron being Prime Minister, but I think that Peter Mandelson is just as bad. I feel really sorry for Gordon Brown because he did not cause the recession, but he is getting constantly attacked for the way he is handling it. He was thrust into the job at completely the wrong time.

I recall a Brit once telling me that one of the reasons Brown is so unpopular is because he's not telegenic enough - i.e. he's more of a policy wonk than a smoth-talking, charismatic charlatan. It's a situation quite similar to one that happened in Canada a while ago - a policy man known as Dion ran as leader of the Liberal Party and was greatly unpopular due to superficial appearances.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 11:45 am

This might be another reason people don't like Gordon Brown...

Meg72
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2010, 11:47 am

True but he has to be better that Cameron would be.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 12:11 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
This might be another reason people don't like Gordon Brown...

I am almost certain a telegenic, snake-oil salesperson type politician could easily get away with this. Hell, it looks like Ignatieff is.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 5:58 pm

Keep Cameron out is what I suggest. He will impose on the economy the equivalent of bloodletting and leeches. He is a menace.

Dion by the way in Canada increased his support when he brought up the issue of the Canadian Conservatives' not caring about the damage that was taking place and refusal to stimulate the economy. A dirty, dirty trick by the CTV network by a man who gloated that years ago he helped re-elect Mulroney and subject us to an economic nightmare of zero inflation and high unemployment helped cut off Dion's momentum. When the Canadian Conservatives proposed a bloodletting and leeches budget in December 2008, Dion did one of the gutsiest things ever in Canadian political history and tried to claim the prime minister post by creating a coalition with House of Commons support. Harper and the Conservatives shut down parliament to prevent the defeat of his government. When the parliament was brought back, Harper had abandoned his idiotic budget for something with stimulus and thus saved us the sorry fate of Ireland.

Britain is facing the same choice and they must keep Cameron out at all costs.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 6:11 pm

xenon13 wrote:
Keep Cameron out is what I suggest. He will impose on the economy the equivalent of bloodletting and leeches. He is a menace.

Dion by the way in Canada increased his support when he brought up the issue of the Canadian Conservatives' not caring about the damage that was taking place and refusal to stimulate the economy. A dirty, dirty trick by the CTV network by a man who gloated that years ago he helped re-elect Mulroney and subject us to an economic nightmare of zero inflation and high unemployment helped cut off Dion's momentum. When the Canadian Conservatives proposed a bloodletting and leeches budget in December 2008, Dion did one of the gutsiest things ever in Canadian political history and tried to claim the prime minister post by creating a coalition with House of Commons support. Harper and the Conservatives shut down parliament to prevent the defeat of his government. When the parliament was brought back, Harper had abandoned his idiotic budget for something with stimulus and thus saved us the sorry fate of Ireland.

Britain is facing the same choice and they must keep Cameron out at all costs.

But, seriously though, will the current governmnt be any better, after they've put us into so much debt?

SDFarsight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Feb 2010, 6:33 pm

I'd prefer Lib Dems, but I'm willing to settle for the Tories considering that they're not Labour.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

Meg72
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2010, 8:04 am

Cameron's plan is to cut public spending and that is NOT a good thing to do in a recession. Sure, we need to make a lot of cuts but we can't stop everything in order to pay back the debt quickly. We need to keep the country going at the same time and that means we'll have to pay it off slowly.

SDFarsight wrote:
I'd prefer Lib Dems, but I'm willing to settle for the Tories considering that they're not Labour.

Lib Dems need all the support they can get. New Labour is actually very similar to the Tories. Look at the Thatcher era! They will probably make the economy even worse than it already is.

Topcat16
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2010, 8:43 am

Labour just coz u can't let the tories in through the back door, also nick clegg has been saying worrying things about coalition with the conservatives

Meg72
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2010, 8:46 am

Yeah I don't think Nick Clegg is doing the Lib Dems much good. He seems very weak. I think Vince Cable would be a good leader but he'd never do it.

JonPlatt
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Feb 2010, 9:04 am

If I could vote (and I can't, because I'm underage), I would probably vote for the Conservatives, because they have promised to re-criminalize Sharia law, and they generally seem to have much more a spine than the Labour Party.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 10:30 am

Lib dems are weak so there is no point in voting for them. Labour is completely crooked and useless and the Conservatives don't give a damn about the working class.
Ha just look at some of the policies of these parties. Such as encouraging more students to go to university when at the same time they are cutting back funding for these universities which just means more competitions as more students apply.

telegraph/universitiesfinedfortakinginstudents

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...